X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reported Post by ohpkirk reporting paulcalloway in "The Watchdog"

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
    Folks,

This could be a good opportunity to rekindle interest in the Western federal (and Trans-Miss federal for that matter) soldier in time for a number of good events on the horizon. From the apex of interest 8 to 10 years ago, this subject matter area has become less visible and somewhat dormant. Might be a good chance to repost some facts and do a little mythbusting, too.

As for me, I'm not sure if the wheel or the pocket was the greater invention. I like 'em both.
    Come on Charles. We've had 2-3 decent events out West for the past X years. You've got two listed in your byline for next year......and what about BGR, OPIII, Shiloh, Chickamauga, and an NSA event On the original battlefield....

I think that the Western Federal interest has been there the last 8 - 10 years ( from MudLoh to the Chick-A-Dusty to OP I-III to Pickett's Mills to Athens MO to RR1,2,3.....to )... and there have been a number of Western good events....and that the subject matter is not less visible and not somewhat dormant.

Didn't we just post some facts RE: OPIII December 1862 Western Federal impression? Hasn't GHTI , 1st-2nd MN, and the ONV carried the torch?

That's one myth that needs busting...
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Re: Reported Post by ohpkirk reporting paulcalloway in "The Watchdog"

RJ,

Note that I didn't say "Western federal events," but "Western federal soldier." The flow of articles and the research that was once headline news seemed to fade away after a while. I'm sure you can remember a time when every couple of months a new and exciting article was published, or a lengthy thread included large amounts of useful impression info. The Hardcracker Handbook is a good sampling of the sort of good stuff from a decade ago, but there is a lot more out there yet to be covered.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: EOG equivalent for the western theatre?

We've had some discussions and close up photo analysis of several known wetplates (featuring western federals) from the digital archives on our forum , feel free to check it out.....

And browse through the other folders if you wish...

Just a little something to peak more interest in the federal impression.:D

One of my favs..

Preston Todd
        Hard Case Boys
        Top Rail Mess

Comment

Great photos. Just what is it about those Western Soldiers, both US and Cs, that makes them look so much more 'soldiery'?
          Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
          Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
          Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Preston,your photo reminds me of another article that those doing a western federal impression should look at.It's an oldie but a goodie.

sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well alot of non Hardee type hats. And the attitudes, man. Still even then the sack coat was not that attractive. Great shots.
              Thomas J. Alleman
              "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Working...
              X