Ebay Item Authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Item Authentic?

Something about this one just doesn't look right. :sarcastic Opinions?

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Ebay Item Authentic?

Hello,
    It almost appears as if someone has incorrectly cleaned it...Best regards.
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

It does not "feel" right to me either. The quality of the blade etching looks just like my old officers sword (Legendary Arms I think). The scabbard and its brass fittings look dead on in quality (I mean low quality here) & poor casting detail etc... Just my two cents but I'm not sure that thing is "kosher".
      Edward Anthony Parrott
      "Humbug"

Comment

It looks just like the poor quality reproduction sword that I have. Same markings and everything. I would stay away from this one.
        Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

100% Fake! The problems are to numerous to list and basically the entire thing is just plain wrong. I hate to see someone get burnt:baring_te!
          Dana Meredith Jr.
          tarheelmilitia@yahoo.com

Comment

Hallo!

I am a collector of WWI German swords, so I know nothing about this sword but I am selling it for a friend who got it a garage sale and thinks it is a rare Civil War officers' sword.

An EBAD template, all too common...

Indian or Pakistani. I have one myself....

Start with the "cast" blade engraving instead of Period acid etched.
            And it goes downhill from there.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You guys are obviously on top of things on this sort of thing; and I am leary of overstepping my bounds here .... but here are some comments I have re fakes on eBay, to take or leave at your discretion.

Just in case you didn't realize it, the NVRHA has declared war on fake CW items. From their website you can access lots of good "how to spot fake" guides and lists of known fake selling IDs. There is also now a profusion of great how to spot CW fakes guides on eBay, most of the best from one single guy who has taken the area on with almost messianic zeal.

There are also, I should note, now anti-anti-fake guides, if you know what I mean, where some of the possible scammers actually have made whining attacks on those "bad bad self-appointed expert guys who are criticizing their items."

As a result, subtle very hard to spot fake items are not nearly as common, and what is left are obvious fakes that only rank newbies would fall for, and an interesting little market where they list items in the repro subcategory, but then use a fairly standard "EBAD template" to say things like "I'm not sure if these are real.... but these came from a huge collection I got," "bad folks would neg me so I have em listed as repro but I'll leave it up to you experts," and one aspect is that nearly all these sellers take grossly out-of-focus pics. They'll have 30 items listed and not one is in focus ... you know you'd think just by accident they'd manage to get a few in focus! So in other words: pretty obviously fake. There are still usually enough bidders to take these items to the $10-20-50 range.

One comment I would add as a digger and one familiar with patina, it would be almost inconceivable to me that at least 1-2 tiny areas of green would not have remained on the hilt even after a thorough cleaning. The leather is in right-out-of-the-box condition; in fact this whole sword is in right-out-of-the-box condition.

All of this is a great loss to eBay "collectors" of Confederate Bowie knives, which were once as common on eBay as signed copies of Harry Potter.

Curt: EBAD template: I like that!

Kevin Mulrooney
              Newark, Delaware

Comment

It is truly shameful how these unscrupulous individuals out there who sell this stuff on sites like eBay can justify their actions by saying they never claimed it to be the real thing. I know someone who has done this and his only defense was that he didn't make any "false claims" and that its "buyer beware". Needles to say I don't have any dealings with this individual anymore.
                Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

Spewy you are making a great point. I left out this aspect. The "cleanup" I mentioned extends mostly to the sellers of reasonably well-done fakes, asserted to be authentic.

Another whole area of scamming I failed to mention is simply a minimal presentation, with decent pictures, dimensions given, but NO assertion as to authenticity either way, BUT and this key, the item is placed in the repro subcategory, which is the only indication given as to authenticity. It is a great achievement to have gotten rid of many of the sellers of well-done fakes, but it will always be incumbent on the buyer to use common sense.

Also I forgot to mention, the gain of CW relic buyers on eBay is now a loss to other niches. The worst scammers were driven out of town so to speak, now they have discovered the fake slave tag niche and a variety of others.

Kevin Mulrooney
                  Newark, Delaware

Comment

Working...
                  X