GAR medal identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAR medal identification

Does anyone know if it is possible to identify the original recipient of a GAR medal using the number stamped on the medal? I have one marked F57784 and would like to know who it once belonged to.
    Jeff Lawson
    2nd Vermont, Co. E

Re: GAR medal identification

Sorry -- probably no way to tell. These aren't strictly "ID" numbers.

The first letter stands for the last name of the Commander in Chief at the time the membership badge was issued -- so technically a Brother could replace a lost or damaged badge with a new one and therefore have a different number than he had when initiated, and several members could be initiated on the same day and have widely differing numbers (although that first initial should be the same if requested at the same time from the Post).

The style of badge had three significant changes and several minor changes. Some guys may have wanted to have "the latest" look but others may have preferred to keep as old a badge as possible to show off their seniority. Hard to say.

Depending on how thorough the Post's secretary and treasurer were, he/they may have marked down the number to show that the membership badge had been received from the national quartermaster -- but from Post to Post there may never have been a notation on who received what badge.

I have my great grand uncle's badge and it's pristine -- I'm guessing it's a replacement badge as I don't think it's ever been worn -- but I have a photo of him and his brothers wearing GAR badges nonetheless.

Anyway, the expert in veterans badges is Bob Wolz of Florida. Google him or let me know if you need me to look up his address.

I hope that's of some help.
    Paul Hadley, PDC, Nebraska, SUVCW
    Smalltime Badge Collector Corps
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Re: GAR medal identification

Here are some pictures I need comments on
      Roger Welsh

Comment

Working...
      X