I bit the bullet today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I bit the bullet today...

Well fellers, I dont know about yall and yalls cleanliness, but I wash my shirt after every event and trust me, After 20 minutes of carryin wood, feelin you tent with hay or just cooking that first meal, my shirt looks just as dirty as before, but I like that Clean feelin.
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Comment

Seen on a T-shirt at the NSSA fall event one year:

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Karin Timour
      Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
      Atlantic Guard Solider's Aid Society
      Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

I, too, wash my shirt (and drawers!) after every event. They get good and dirty almost immediately at the next event. I feel that there is no since in challenging the ecosystem needlessly.
        Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
        Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
        Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour View Post
          Seen on a T-shirt at the NSSA fall event one year:

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Karin Timour
          Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
          Atlantic Guard Solider's Aid Society
          Email: Ktimour@aol.com
          Or, as seen on a billboard outside of Greenville, SC.......
          Last edited by Forquer; 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM.
          Greg Forquer
          1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
          30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

In all seriousness, I suspect there's a lot of folks who can lay a legit claim to "filthiest shirt"; although in my personal observation (sight and smell) I have, fortunately, never yet come across anyone who's issue shirt had so much "personality" as did Soup Bone's. That personality was built up over quite a number of years, too.

About cleaning up after events, I know a lot of folks who can and do wash their shirt, drawers, and socks after each event. That's fine, when they're made of cotton (particularly the shirt and drawers; not so much the socks). But, when one's talking about a domet flannel Federal issue shirt, you simply cannot wash it after every use unless you want it to shrink a lot more quickly than you'd financially prefer. Ditto for Federal-issue drawers.

When I wear a cotton shirt at an event, it gets washed after each event. Ditto for the socks. It's been too many years since I owned cotton drawers, but I believe that they got washed after each event too. Federal issue stuff, however, is not really the right stuff to toss in the washer once a month.

Comment

Originally posted by henionjd View Post
              Doug,

I beg to differ but the flithiest shirt possible belongs to "Soupbone" Weymer. There is evil in those fibers that does not sleep.
              Good point - if we can get those two guys together at an event perhaps a gross out contest would be in order. Maybe something like a platoon of us faced the other way with one then the other approaching from behind us. The guy we smell at the greatest distance wins. Might need a big field though...
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Here in New York State, environmental impact statements are the responsibility of the "lead agency"--whoever that is. I considered washing my issue shirt and drawers an Unlisted Action under New York State Environmental Quality Review laws and therefore did not file any notices or prepare the impact statement, or even a long-form EAF.
                In your long form what'd ya put under "12. Will Proposed Action impact any site or structure of historic, prehistoric or paleontological importance?"?
                [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                  Federal issue stuff, however, is not really the right stuff to toss in the washer once a month.
                  This is especially true if your woolen undergarments are properly hand sewn, with huge ugly stitches. I've talked to several experts on 19th century clothing, and they HIGHLY recommend ALWAYS hand washing your hand sewn garments. Avoid the Machine!

Jim Moffet

Comment

With all of our filth and nastiness, it's a wonder that the CDC hasn't made a special case out of Authentic Reenactors in general.
                    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                    WIG/GVB
                    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Originally posted by styler View Post
                      In your long form [environmental assessment form] what'd ya put under "12. Will Proposed Action impact any site or structure of historic, prehistoric or paleontological importance?"?
                      Quiet Man,

It was a multi-part response:

1. The proposed action will not affect any site or structure who's history goes back more than 18 months or so.

2. The age of the dirt ground into the shirt was not ascertained, but it may have prehistoric providence. However, washing the shirt will not destroy the dirt or its historical value; rather, the dirt will merely be conveyed through existing sewerage to the Southtowns Wastewater Treatment Facility where it will be removed for later exhibit, inspection, and possibly incineration.

3. Dirt consistency may be somewhat altered by detergent, but I kinda doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                        Good point - if we can get those two guys together at an event perhaps a gross out contest would be in order.
                        The candidate submitted by Sparky is here; of course, the filth at that time was only about a year old.

Yes, it's the shirt in the foreground.

Comment

Actually, that was the maiden voyage for said shirt. She's "been around the horn a time or two since then"
                          George "Soup Bone" Weymer
                          E. Shockus Unum
                          "Remember Jerry.....It's not a lie, if you believe it"

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron View Post
                            ROFLMAO!!!! .
                            What does this mean?

Comment

ROFLMAO = "Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off". It's common Internet-speak, akin to "LOL" for "Laughing out loud" and other acronyms used on the Internet.

Comment

With all this talk of filth and grime, I must inquire as to what events you people go to? I tend to notice that there are more often neat and clean soldiers in the ranks at these ' authentic events'. In fact, it appears some of the men just took their uniform off the rack for the event. I'll believe this 'dirty' talk when I see someone groser than I. And I do challenge all.

Comment

Working...
                                X