A direct link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A direct link

My Grandmother was born in 1892 and her dad (my Great Grandfather), enlisted in the 8th Texas Infantry at age 15 with his 17 year old brother in 1862. He died in about 1925, so Grandma was grown and married by the time he passed away. She told me stories about his service in the Confederate Army when I was a kid back in the 1950's. Needless to say, I was spellbound by all these stories.
    Years later after joining the SCV and SUVCW, I learned that I had at least 19 Confederate ancestors and four Yanks (that I'm aware of). These are both direct and colateral ancestors.
    Lee Ragan

Comment

Hello and Happy Holidays!

My Great-Great Grandfather was Captain Frank A. Bond, 1st Maryland Calvary, Company A, C.S.A. His younger brother Arthur W. Bond also severed in the 1st Maryland.

The first photo is my Great-Great Grandfather Captain Frank Bond

The second photo is the 1st MD Cav Reunion in 1899 in Howard County, Maryland.

The third photo is my Great-Great Uncle Arthur W. Bond

The fourth photo is my Great-Great Grandfather General Frank A. Bond Adjutant General of Maryland (1874-1877)

The fifth photo is Captain Frank A. Bond gravestone which is located in Confederate Hill Loudon Park Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mbond057; 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM.
      Respectfully,
      Mark Bond
      [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
      Federal Artillery

Comment

Well. my grandmother, who was born in 1902 and passed away in 1998, told a story about her grandfather who was imprisoned in Andersonville and lived through it. He supposedly told the family that they would eat the same beans three times! Don't know if that was a story about the conditions or was an actual happening...not even sure I'd want to find out!

Neil Randolph
        1st WV

Comment

My GGG Grandfather on my mother's side served in the 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Lillard's). I have a post war picture of him, his pistol flask, .36 caliber bullet mold, his side knife (attached Pictures), and a few other items. I also have a permit to carry firearms issued to him by the Governor General of Tennessee post war.

On my father's side, my GGG Grandfather is Green P. Hanks, he was the First Sergeant then Captain of Company A, of the 61st Illinois Volunteer Infantry. We have his discharge papers and somewhere there is a diary that he kept during the war that we are searching for.
          Attached Files
          Matthew S. Laird
          [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
          [/COLOR]
          [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

My late cousin (much older than I) used to tell us about talking to his grandfather, who was a veteran.

Also, my girlfriend's UDC chapter, just last year boasted the oldest member in Tennessee. The member is a REAL daughter of the Confederacy. As of last year she was 104 years old and lived in Nashville.
            Last edited by WestTN_reb; 12-20-2007, 02:16 AM. Reason: Thought of something else later
            John Spain
            4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
            "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

If memory serves, one of the last, if not the last son of a Civil War Veteran shows up to Jackson, MI every year for the event there. I believe the gentleman is in his 90's. His father was rather advanced in years, possibly in his 70's when he conceived his son. If anybody has any greater detail, feel free to throw it out there.

Sam Lowe
              Botsford Mess
              Sam Lowe
              Sally Port Mess
              Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

In 1993 I spent a day with 3 children of Private Alonzo Johnson, 45th USCT, at the rededication of their father's grave at the Macedonia Baptist Church in Bryan's Road, MD. Johnson had 13 children, several after he was 60 years of age (as well as 121 grandchildren and 13 grand grand children if I remember). The 2 daughters and one son were in their late 80's and early 90's at the time. I attended as a representative of the Secretary of Defense (my boss, who was in Europe) and was given special permission to wear my Joe Covais federal private's dress uniform as a sort of living historian representative of Alonzo. I stood with the family and watched the 3rd US Infantry conduct the ceremony, presenting the Soldier's Medal to the 3 kids and conducting the graveside gun salute, etc. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, including me. His grandson, a 60 year old Army E-9 (ret) and veteran of 40 years, could still get into his uniform and wore it proudly that day. He set up the entire deal as a gesture of love and respect for his grandad who escaped slavery and went to fight for his country and his freedom. Alonzo's son carried his father's forage cap on his lap during the service in the church.

I will never forget that day.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

Happy Holidays!

We have such a rich history because we remember and honor the sacrifices of individuals who have shaped our great nation. Thanks for sharing such a personal experience with the group.
                  Respectfully,
                  Mark Bond
                  [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
                  Federal Artillery

Comment

Working...
                  X