What's Wrong with the Hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wrong with the Hobby?

Okay, I'll bite. In closing the ************ customer service thread Paul Calloway mentioned a new thread for the "what's wrong with the hobby" discussion.

Nothing is wrong with the hobby, first of all. The problem is the participants and the lack of enough critical mass in economic terms to support the number of vendors. There is always some expansion followed by contraction. These issues are nothing new and used to be dropped in our lap (The Watchdog) before there was a Forum where they could be raised, or an approved vendor program. The hobby is fine, actually I have finally understood out there are two hobbies, but this hobby is small but active. The last EBUFU was a big success by most accounts and the 2008 season looks promising. Anybody having any problems filling up your schedule with events? What is the issue? Field merchants experiencing delays in filling orders is not indicative of the hobby in a slump. We have more talented craftsmen at work now than ever before, and while some familiar have recently departed the hobby, go back and read some of the old Watchdogs from the 1990s and you can count on one hand the number of vendors that are still in business from ten or so years ago. They appear to come and go in cycles, much like the participants themselves.

Discuss among yourselves...
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 12-17-2007, 06:59 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Re: What's Wrong with the Hobby?

Keyboard Campaigners get off your bums and go to events! Whiners get old real quick.......

Folks, get out and attend the events YOU want to attend. The hype (good and bad) will be there, but sending questions to the event organizers can help sometimes.

Or in lack of quality events in your area, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT......

Put on your own event with the standards you want. Get the information out. Hey non keyboard campaginers read the forums as well. They'll come out.... Well maybe....
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

I feel things are pretty good with the hobby. 2008's season is looking really good for some fun stuff. I'm just planning my involvement right now.

Herb, I'd LOVE to put on a quality event here in lower New England, but I don't readily know anyone here since I just moved here in August and don't own any land for the event to be held on anyway. But I have happily heard rumor that this might soon change ... ;)

Can't wait for W64! -Johnny
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Don't know about you but, for me 2007 was a great year, better than 2001-04.

We just need more good people, so work on it.
        Gregory Deese
        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Herb, I'd LOVE to put on a quality event here in lower New England, but I don't readily know anyone here since I just moved here in August[...]
          You know me, Johnny! Ha. You're dead on; some New England events would be spectacular. There has to be something that can be arranged! I'm really bummed about not being able to make it to W64 so it'd be nice to have something else happening up this way that I could attend.

Back to the subject at hand...hobby issues are existent, but to what extent are they existent is highly debatable. For clarification, are we talking about the hobby as a whole or in the context of authentic level campaigning? In the way of mainstream hobby woes, one could reasonably go on and on with frictional complaints and find it hard to stop.

I suppose, for one reason or another, that's why most of us are on this forum in the first place and therefore trying our best to attend "our" own events. These events, however, as a complaint of authentic level campaigning, seem to be few and far between. I think we are fortunate to have some real triers out there, making great events happen where and when they can. If more step up to the bat, in such a regard, then more events are bound to emerge. I also personally believe that we are lucky to have some of the greatest vendors to come along in a good long while, all gracing us with their goods and their fine crafts.

I will be interested to see what others have to say about matters as they see them.
          Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I have noticed a few problems in the hobby,but I have began to look elsewhere.Mainstream events can seem the same after a while,and modern politics can play a major effect in the hobby.But after doing Chicky and a small living history put on by me and a friend at the Cravens House in Chatt,I have found that campaigner events can be much more fulfilling.I guess that the problem with the events I do is that they are generally mainstream farbfests.I figure that I should try to do more campaigner events.
            Here's looking towards 2008 and hopefully making Picket Mills,SCAR's Shiloh lh as well as their lh at Chicky.
            Cullen
            Cullen Smith
            South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Gribbles is correct. With everything considered, 2005 through 2007 has been dandy.

Sure Nick Sekala owes me some things but, he produces excellent stuff. If you want an gum blanket quick, Jarny has an acceptable one. If you want a Sekala, well.

Life is all about attitude.
              Ley Watson
              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

"Life is all about attitude."

IMHO, nope. ;) :) :)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% your reaction to it.
                ;)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I'm with Craig on this one: The hobby is great... I had a great time at every event I attended! I met lots of great people.

(I did get a little surly at the Outpost, though... but I was pretty tired)
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The bottom line as I read over these posts, is that complaining about the "hobby" is like looking in the mirror and complaining about the reflection coming back at you. The hobby is YOU and what you are doing in it. We have the opportunity to make what we will of our participation, and if you want to get more out of it, put more into it. It is a very simple equation.

The events are there, and there are plenty of them. There is more good gear now than at any time ever in the past. Even the dismal state of reproduction muskets is improving with the highest number of good options for accuracy modifications (de-farbs) than we have ever enjoyed. There is some excellent work out there right now. If you don't like dealing with dilatory but excellent tailors, choose another one for a custom job. But if you chose one that is a bit temperamental, then be as patient as you can because in the end you are supporting those who support you. There are more than a few making quality garments...or better yet, make it yourself. That is what I did when I didn't like the advertised wait for a decent sack coat. One try at that and you will never again gripe about what something costs or how long it takes to make, but never mind. The point is the same.

Battlefield preservation? Well, we can do a bit better there in 2008. However, overall I see nothing to complain about with the hobby. "Getting it Right" is fun, and there are more opportunities to do that now with like minded enthusiasts. If there are plenty of opportunities to have a good time with whatever mix of events and living histories meet your needs, then what's the problem? It's never about what somebody else is or isn't doing, it's about what you are doing. Me? I am getting kind of excited planning my 2008 schedule of events, and getting things ready. The hobby always looks better looking down the sight line of your barrel than it does on the internet.
                    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 12-17-2007, 10:59 PM.
                    Craig L Barry

Comment

I do complain some about the hobby,yes.But I do love it.I have met some of my best friends in this hobby.The farbism can burn me out,but doing a couple campaigner events each year helps clear that right up.As everyone is saying,it's all about your attitude.
                      I need some sleep.It's 4 in the morning here.
                      Cullen
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

It's a pretty simple proposition. You get out of this hobby what you are willing to put into it.

Andy Redd
                        Andy Redd

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                          Keyboard Campaigners get off your bums and go to events! Whiners get old real quick......
                          Herb,

That sums up what I was thinking about this thread.

Then there's the matter of "getting back to the history being portrayed"...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post

Then there's the matter of "getting back to the history being portrayed"...
                            That's my bone to pick also......
                            Mary Elizabeth Wainwright
                            Kracker Dan Minstrels
                            [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000831131226&v=info&ref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000831131226&v=info&ref=ts[/URL]
                            [email]Krackerdanminstrels@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

It does not appear we have entertained any arguments on the other side of this issue, ergo we can probably conclude that nothing is "wrong" with this particular hobby. Are there any lingering doubts? It appears to me if you want to participate, the hobby offers plenty of opportunities. There is no shortage of what it (the hobby) has to offer as far as I can tell. Were there ever "good old days" or better times in the past or are these days the high water mark?

Could it improved? Would greater participation achieve those ends? And getting back to history being portrayed...these are probably all subjects for another thread.
                              Craig L Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X