OverCoats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OverCoats!

Well guys, being the time of the year when you have to pull out that trusty overcoat out of your closet to use at an event. I have one good question that I am not sure were to post so here it is. On a campaign march, where would a soldier keep his great coat when it got warmer? Would he simply throw it aside and find himself a new one next winter, or would it be placed in storage? Would it possibly be sent back home and he would write his family to send it to him when he needed it. Just a question I was wonderin about today in class.
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: OverCoats!

The way I understand it is that at a certain time in the fall the army would issue overcoats and when the weather broke they would be collected and put into storage. There were many cases of them being thrown out however, you can read accounts of troops with newly issued equipment marching along and seeing any item they had been issued thrown out along the side of the road.
    Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

Normally the troops would "turn in" their overcoats prior to breaking winter quarters for the campaign season, just as they has been issued them for the winter season. One of my favorite quotes on the subject comes from a member of the 1st Minnesota after Antietam (Oct 26) as they followed the rookie 19th Maine on the march. The 19th had newly issued overcoats and being new to marching with bulging knapsacks, began to toss their overcoats aside as the day was rather hot. The 1st Minn, "marched next behind, with light knapsacks, and were well seasoned to fatigue, the men picked up the overcoats and before night were fully supplied, ready for the cold weather which set in within a week afterward."*

Another interesting quote from Pvt Edward H Bassett, Go G 1st Minn on boxing up of winter clothing. About April 20th 1863 he wote this: "Part of the Army has moved now and we have orders to be ready. We have packed up all our blankets and extra clothing in boxes to leave here. Last summer I had to throw away about $15 worth on the march."**

*Adjutant William Lochren in his "Narrative of the 1st Minnesota" in the compendium "Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars."

**"From Bull Run to Bristow Station" by MH Bassett, the letters of Pvt Edward H. Bassett, Co G, 1st Minnesota Infantry.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

While I don't have cites to hand, in the majority of my reading it appears the norm for the western theater Federal soldier was to pack it and ship it home for keeping and then requesting it be sent back once it appeared that the weather had turned for good.
        Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

To generalize for Yanks: In the first half or so of the war, they either carried the coat all summer or, more often, tossed it by the roadside when it wasn't needed anymore. Later in the war, the Union army started collecting the coats in the spring for summer storage, with re-issue in the autumn.

Comment

Extract of letter to "Dear Bro." (John C. Records) from Corporal William H. Records, Company I, 72nd Indiana Mounted Infantry, with byline of "Camp 72d Ind. Vols- Gravelly Springs [Ala.] March 2d 1865":

...I have got the memoranda that you sent me last summer about bull, and I want you to send me another. When I first got it I didn’t think I liked it but upon using it I find it is about as convenient as any I have ever had – So you can send one like it or a better one if you want to. for what will suit you will suit me -, I want you to send me some Fractional currency, about two or three Dollars, = [“Well I guess that” is lined out] Some of the boys have boxed up their Over coats and sent them to Jos” Mc”Kinney [probably a prominent citizen of Montmorenci, Tippecanoe County, Indiana], I did n’t think I could spare mine, but I cut off the Cape and put it in the box – So if it gets through you can go to him, pay him my share of the freight and get the cape....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I deeply appreiciate all of the answers guys, It had been a question on my mind for a long time and I really do thank you all for your answers.
              Ronnie Hull
              Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
              Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
              Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
              2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
              Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Ok so I forgot I was on my dads accounts oh well!

Pvt.Hull
                48th OVI
                Ronnie Hull
                Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Working...
                X