What size are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size are you?

I always noticed in EOG and found it interesting,on page 139 there is the Pvt. Garret Gouge coat and it is a Tait jacket made for someone 5 ft. 9 inch a 39 inch chest and 34 inch waist. I myself am a 40 chest and a 34 waist and I am 5 ft. 10 inches tall. We always think of soldiers being slim but this size is not so small. How do you measure up?
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: What size are you?

I am 6-2 and 295 lbs. Size 56 jacket and 44 paints. I am the runt of my litter and I am a direct decedent of a Confederate Calvary Officer.

I wish the authentic Sutlers would start carrying and making men’s clothing and uniforms. :) It’s tough getting outfitted with authentic clothing and gear when you shop at the Big and Tall shop.
    Respectfully,
    Mark Bond
    [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
    Federal Artillery

Comment

Hallo!

Hmmmmm.
      I am a Size 4 coat or jacket. And a Size 3 trousers.

(However, at 5' 10", and 170-175 pounds, I have a 42.5 inch chest and a 36 inch waist. Because different makers make slightly different "sized" garments (as are actual surviving "same Size" original graments at times), based upon my impression/persona "look" at any given time, I can wear some vendors' modern concept Size 42 jackets and Size 34 trousers Civil War "fit/feel" normally. For other vendors', I need to go to the modern concept Size 44 and Size 36 for the same "fit/feel.". Some vendors' modern concept Size 42 are "too tight" while others' Size 44 are too loose).

However, I try to stay with the "Period" issuance concept of making do by not tailoring or fitting, just going with the "fit/feel" range of the maker/vendor I am buying from. IMHO, I do this because I have no lads to trade with. ;-)
      And there were several years I ordered Size 44/Size 46 jackets and Size 38/Size 40 trousers just to appear "frumpier." :-) As well as Size 40 jackets and Size 34 trousers to appear "snuggier." :-)

Aside from the make do, trade around, or tailor/have tailored concpet of CW issuances being donen without regard to the man's actual sizings... while the numbers of say jackets and the ratios of their sizes in the bundles. sometimes we can see the CW "vision."
      Such as the 1862 Nathan Gale blouse contract specified:

17 Size 1's
      30 Size 2's
      33 Size 3's
      20 Size 4's.

That would "make" the majority at 66% of the lads Size 2 and Size 3's. And make me a "large guy" minority of 20% at Size 4.

Curt

Schuylkill Arsenal maintained a "Special Clothing Bureau" for requisitioning clothing for smaller or larger lads, not only for say Sizes 5-8, but for the exceptional sizes as well. How well that worked, how often it was employed, and long it took to get to a lad in the field I have not yet come across...
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I am 6'3" tall 280 lbs. I wear a 52 Long Jacket and size 42 pants. I am also a direct decendant of veterans on both sides of the fence. I look exactly like one of them, I have some post war photos, except for being about 3 inches taller.
        Matthew S. Laird
        [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
        Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
        [/COLOR]
        [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm 5'10", 160 pounds. I wear a 38-40 jacket and 32 trousers. My shoe size is 9 1/2.
          Dana Meredith Jr.
          tarheelmilitia@yahoo.com

Comment

I am 5' 10'' 163 pounds with a 38'' chest and a 31 1/2'' waist. I find one issue i have is trying to find a frock coat that fits me correctly in both the chest and the waist. I have a ************ frock that i love very much and it fits perfectly in the chest but it appears to be tailored for someone with a belly that is bigger than their chest.. I always end up with several pleats in the frock when i put on my belt on.

Chase Pinkham

Comment

I am 6-2 225, 48 chest, 38 waist
              Ernie Manzo
              Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

I am 5'10" tall, weight 165lbs. 42" chest, 30" waist. I am above average height for most of my family. I am, however, below average weight for most of my paternal family.
                Greg S Barnett
                Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

I'm doing what everyone has said everyone needs to do- loose weight. I'm down 25 pounds to 230 but I still stand 6'1" have a 46-48 jacket and a 38-40" waist (actual). I have a 13 shoe. Big'un... you betcha!
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Size 40 jacket,although I wear a 42 when I do Federal.Size 36 trousers.Size 10.5 in shoes.Size 9 in military headgear.
                    Cullen Smith
                    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

size 4 jacket size 2-3 trousers. 68,89inches tall and 160 pounds.
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess
                      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Size 1, or for a better coat fit, size 2.

About 36"-37" chest and 31"-32" waist by actual measurement, but usually need to buy a modern 38-40 coat to fit my shoulders. I'm 5'7" and 140 pounds.

Hank Trent
                        hanktrent@voyager.net
                        Hank Trent

Comment

I'm 6'1'', 200 lbs. I wear a 36 trow, and a size 3 jacket on a good day. (4 on a cold day).
                          But, It's all about how you carry yourself in the field. Period clothes, in my opinion, can be most flattering when worn in the CORRECT manner. This is something that I see needs ALOT of improvement, even on our side of the hobby. But, I've stated this fact before.......

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelmilitia View Post
                            I'm 5'10", 160 pounds. I wear a 38-40 jacket and 32 trousers. My shoe size is 9 1/2.
                            If you ever need to sell off anything, give me a call as it appears we are exactly the same size.
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Well, in the mundane modern world, I'm a pretty small fella. 5' 6", 155 lbs, size 8.5 shoe. But, when in the realm of our beloved 19th century world, I find that I'm average size. Size 2 in a jacket and a size 2 in trousers.

Marty Rubin
                              Tater Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X