Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What size are you?

Nick:

Good info & points, I used to know some folks who were in the fashion industry in LA years ago (well lets say garment industy as the fashion industry is NY & Paris & London) and they said the same thing: Price, then color/syle, then fit. I will send you an e-mail regarding the frock coat sizing. I have heard it said that most 19th century people were in a constant state of mild malnutrition/vitamin defecient and that is why their physique was a bit different from ours, there is a name for the condition but I cannot remember it!

Edward "on sale at TJ Maxx" Parrott
    Edward Anthony Parrott
    "Humbug"

Comment

:wink_smilMr ************,
      This unidentified gentleman is an "off the rack" size 4 NJ ************ lined fatigue blouse. The size 2 trousers are just a bit short in some folks opinion. What are your thoughts?
      Last edited by Greg Barnett; 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM.
      Greg S Barnett
      Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
      ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Excellent info as always Nick.
        Frank Perkin

Comment

Im 16 years old. I am 6'2 180. I still got some growing to do. Its a pain trying to wear pants long enough.
          [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
          [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
          [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
          [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
          [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

I'm 19 yrs old, i weigh 135lbs, i am six foot tall, wear a size 38 jacket, size 30 trousers, 9 in shoes and 7 1/8 in headgear.
            My only faults are the not so long enough trousers and the cold hard ground, seems to suck all the heat out of me and every rock and stick pokes at me.
            F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

Just under 6' 4', 235 pounds, 44 coat, 36 waist and a 72" wing span. Size 12-13 brogan.

However when I ordered my last WW coat I went with a standard CW size so the coat's a little big and the sleeves too short, so I'm a martinet's nightmare.

But that is what the Army would have issued me, it ain't tailored but th elook (I think) is more authentic than my tailored sack coat.

Sometimes I think too many of us privates look like we were rich fellows with tailored clothes.
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

i portray a confederate whos mother has sent cloths, so they fit pretty good. My union impression i like to wear my pants a little short with the jacket sleeves too short. It adds character.
                [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
                [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
                [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
                [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
                [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

The average. :D
                  [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Well...
                    I am 6 foot tall.I weigh in at 243lbs .My cheast is a 54" and my waist is a 38"my inseam is a 32" shoe size is a 12H .
                    Kiev Thomason
                    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

I'm 5'8" 138lbs, 38" chest 30" waist size 8 shoe

Bob Hutton
                      Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

6'6", 250 lbs, size 13 shoe. Something that I have always wondered is how things that should fit me. I know that it is unlikely that things should be very large, but there are times when things should fit well for necessity sake.

I had the pleasure of spending this past Christmas in Williamsburg, Virginia. One of the tailors there was very engaging in regards to height over the generations. I am tall, not matter what generation we are speaking about. However, being 6'4" and 200 lbs isn't necessarily large. If you examine men like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, they weren't considered "giants" in a physical sense. Both of them were in excess of 6 feet tall. Now, the generation that fought the Civil War was a bit shorter than that of the American Revolution. However, there were tall men.

I guess the moral of the story is that height isn't something to worry about. Girth, that is another can of worms!:wink_smil

Happy New Year!
                        Alexander Stowe

Son of New York

Gettysburg, PA

Comment

Hallo!

" Now, the generation that fought the Civil War was a bit shorter than that of the American Revolution. "

IMHO, not entirely true.

"Height" in any period is a complicated study, and one needs to be careful that one's sampling population is universal enough to try to make "universal" statements about. For example, different Ethnic and National backgrounds produce different ranges, means, and averages. And as some Civil War records indicate, those ethic and national origin factors also get played out in different states based partly on settlement patterns.

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I am from what you would call "pioneer stock" out here in Utah :). I do find it hard sometimes to find the good gear but it seems that I find it even harder to resist a sloppy cheeseburger and ice cold beer :).

6'4" 270 pounds
                            48-50 chest
                            42-44 trowser
                            13 shoe
                            7 5/8 hat

I had an ancestor that came to Utah in 1847 with the Mormon Pioneers. He was the one that put together the odometer to measure the distance traveled if anybody knows that story. He was 6'8" tall and 340 pounds. He was nicknamed "the giant" and was known for fighting with mobs.
                            Capt. Kris Larson 32°
                            Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
                            Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
                            Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
                            Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
                            El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
                            Iron Rooster Mess
                            [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

6'2 and somwhere around 280 pounds,

size 50 chest depending on the maker of the jacket,

44 waist

12 shoe

24 in hat size
                              Adam Polanski

"Turtle Punch Mess"

Comment

6'4 barefoot, 215 lbs
                                42 jacket, 35 pants
                                15 shoe, 13.5 boot

Manual labor (chopping cotton and shearing sheep during the summers in High School and ranching and carpentry now) keeps you in decent shape. Though I think I need to lose about ~25 lbs before Marmeduke's Raid......

I'm not much larger than one of my g-great grandfathers whom when enlisting in the 38th AL was noted as being 6'2 185 lbs. at 18yrs old. Not all soldiers were hobbits.
                                Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                                Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Working...
                                X