Overlooked in the reenacting world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlooked in the reenacting world

I've noticed that we as reenactors and living historians sometimes tend to overlook different items when putting together our impressions.

So keeping with what would have been common for a soldier or civilian, what do you think is being overlooked or under represented in the reenacting community overall? ie: uniform and gear wise, or personal effects among soldiers or civilians.

I think the possible responses would encourage people to add to there impressions before majority of the events start up again.

Thanks
    Adam Polanski

"Turtle Punch Mess"

Re: Overlooked in the reenacting world

Ok, I'll give it a go:

- case for spectacles, especially pasteboard type container.
    - block of matches (yeah, I know -- not readily available)
    - know-how for starting a fire in the rain
    - appropriate musket tool(s)

Obliged,
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Noticable lack of persons of color in the hobby, and USCT in specific.
      Rob Weaver
      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

In no particular order:

1. Bugle call recognition

2. Drill knowledge (including skirmish, etc)

3. Regulations knowledge

4. Guard Mount/picket knowledge

5. Ability to remain in first person for an extended period (beyond a few hours)

6. Horses

7. Boxes and other period packaging materials
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hallo!

1. The Civil War era mental and physical man.
          2. The Civil War era Material Culture
          3. The Civil War era History
          4. The Civil War era Social History of everyday living, functions, and activities.
          5. The melding of Nos 1-4 in the form of impressions, persona, and events.

;) :)

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Period hair styles

Period facial hair styles

Pre-civil war era history ;)

Pre-civil war era politics
            [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
              Noticable lack of persons of color in the hobby, and USCT in specific.
              Although I agree with all of the posts thus far, I have to say I agree with Rob the most at this moment. Especially here in the south.
              Greg S Barnett
              Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
              ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                4. Guard Mount/picket knowledge
                The above seems to be a continuation of the juxtaposition of "guard mounting" with "guard duty". This is a very common reenactor mistake that drives me to distraction.

Guard mount was a ceremonial formation similar in nature to dress parade, at which the details for the Guard from the various companies are assembled, paraded, and inspected. Guard duty is the act of the Guard (i.e., the guard detail) doing its duty, often for 24 hours at a time; guard duty takes several forms, including camp (police) guard, and pickets in the face of the enemy, and other permutations.

Someday the majority of reenactors will keep these things straight. For now, all too often I see folks--even on this forum where they really should know better--writing after an event, "We did guard mount" when no such thing happened at that event; rather, he usually really means, "I was assigned to the Guard for a time and had to stand as a sentinel for a while."

Regarding what reenacting needs more of, as I view it, it's very simple:

We need more history injected into the events portrayed in reenacting.

Meaning, more research, more dissemination of the historical documentation (and analysis of it before it's disseminated), more discussion of it, and to have things that happen during reenactor events be based more closely on actual, documented, historical events. After all, that's why it's called REenacting.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Barnett View Post
                  Although I agree with all of the posts thus far, I have to say I agree with Rob the most at this moment. Especially here in the south.
                  Actually African-slave culture is another thing that should at least be recognizable by the civil war living historian even if there aren't any black participants present. Elements of it are found in every class level of white Southern society.
                  [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I think the lack of civilian tradesman should be drawn upon. Not all men during the war were soldiers. KGC recruiters, abolitionists, Artists, Merchants and Tradesman. Civilians were employed by both sides of the War for manufacture of accouterments, drafting of patterns etc. I plan on doing a travelling leather worker. Repairing equipment in the field. Also Selling my wears to officers and soldiers alike. I think someone who learned cooper work would be a great additon to the hobby as well.

We need to draw from our brothers of earlier periods for ideas. Many events provide period craftsman who do demonstrations for the public and reenactors between battles.

MY 2c

The Mad MIck!!!
                    Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Lack of societal context.

We can all function in daily modern life--few of us could do the same in the period.
                      Regards,
                      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                        The above seems to be a continuation of the juxtaposition of "guard mounting" with "guard duty". This is a very common reenactor mistake that drives me to distraction.
                        Nonsense Kevin - I was simply listing two items that are poorly done. We all know the difference between the ceremony and the duty.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The Trans Mississippi and Department of the Gulf
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

These are not so much overlooked as ignored among reenactors in general:

Age specific impressions. At some point, people should consider going over to something more appropriate for a 40 to 60 year old white haired male.

Ditto on weight and general health. If participating in a run of the mill event jeopardizes your life, then you need to address some issues.

And I agree with other posters on race and reenacting. We need QUALITY USCT impressions.
                            [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                            [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                              Hallo!

1. The Civil War era mental and physical man.
                              2. The Civil War era Material Culture
                              3. The Civil War era History
                              4. The Civil War era Social History of everyday living, functions, and activities.
                              5. The melding of Nos 1-4 in the form of impressions, persona, and events.

;) :)

Curt
                              Knowledge of rural life, small parcel farming, subsistence agriculture & homesteading.
                              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                              X