Overlooked in the reenacting world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overlooked in the reenacting world

Hey Kevin, just trying to keep things a little focused. It has been my experience in "organized" groups that when all these great ideas come up that they just go by the wayside. I have read many cool things on this site and not to mention in the CRRC that I plan to incorporate into my inpression AND I think it would be cool to read about how others incorporate some of the ideas mentioned in this thread into their reenacting weekend WHICH in turn might persuade others to incorporate similar ideas. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, rather just trying to find the right size tire for my car and learn how to put it on.
    Sincerely,
    the humble mainstreamer
    trying to progess his impression,
    [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
    [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
    New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

In regards to mail call, I do have a somewhat unorthodox solution which we have found very entertaining in our camp. As a teacher I must give my students writing prompts. I make a list of these (you can find them by doing a simple search on the internet) as well as the people attending the event from my company. At the start of the event, every person pulls a name and a writing prompt. They then must write a letter to that person and turn the letter into the Orderely who in turn holds a mail call later in the day or early the next morning. We sit around the fire and everyone reads their letter. Is the content period? No, but it is hilarious what some will write. If you want the content of the letters to be more period than make that a stipulation. Also, the prompts could come from letters written during the war as there are many questions in letters written by the soldiers.
      [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
      [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
      New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

For mail delivery in my old Federal unit I once made up a batch of boxes from home. I filled them with treats from the home front, fruit, whiskey, sweets, cakes etc... I wrote letters to go in the boxes (listing the contents in some cases), I also put newspapers and other items in some of them too. Well here is what I did with them boxes: I left them alone for 3 months, then put some outside in the weather, smashed in the side of others, rooted around and "stole" items out of them and re-wrapped them, shook some violently to mix up their innards (read- break the bottled contents inside). Nobody knew I had got up to this project and all were pleasantly surprised when they got a nice box, until some of them opened them to find rotten fruit, stale or moldy cakes,whiskey soaked goods, if the whiskey was even in there as it should have been. Some fellows got great boxes with all goods intact. I had been reading a number of diaries at the time and some mentioned the boxes from home and how Adams Express would 'lose' stuff, or the boxes would be rifled through prior to delivery. It was a hit and we went on to do boxes from home every once and awhile after that, the look on the guys face who opened his box and dumped out a bunch of black, shriveld oranges was classic.

I would love to see more proper shaving at events, I have done an inspection of a full company where well over half have been clean shaven but not a man had a razor in his kit.

Mules, oh how I would love to see more army mules and hear the god awful caterwauling they must have kept up. But as Kevin stated we should probably stay focused on what we can achieve.

Oh and the smell, I think the smell is under represented, I can tell you after RR1 you could smell our company from a block away. I'm not kidding you really could, and it was a wierd smell too.

Edward Parrott
        Last edited by Pvt Peck; 12-31-2007, 01:57 AM. Reason: content & spelling
        Edward Anthony Parrott
        "Humbug"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
          There's a lot of things reenactors can do to improve their events and portrayals. Sometimes it's as simple as having an open mind, an open history book, some creativity, and the courage to use and adapt something "cool" you saw being done at another event.
          I agree. There is a whole lot to work on before other things.

On the same note, I think some of the best advice I've seen was Curt Schmidt's do what the pictures tell you to do. Or at least I think I remember he said it.
          [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Hallo!

"On the same note, I think some of the best advice I've seen was Curt Schmidt's do what the pictures tell you to do. Or at least I think I remember he said it."

Not sure...
            But I think you might be remembering my old admonishment to strive to look like the men in Period images, rather than reenactors.
            ;) :)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
              Hallo!

Not sure...
              But I think you might be remembering my old admonishment to strive to look like the men in Period images, rather than reenactors.
              ;) :)

Curt
              Lol could be.
              [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

As far as wagons and teams to pull them being expensive in upkeep and transportation, as my sister likes to say "Who didn't know that?" Wasn't there a regimental wagon at BGR recently? So it is possible. And I know someone was going to bring his to Fredericksburg until it got postponed, The question was asked what's overlooked in the hobby.

Bill O'Dea
                Salt boiler mess
                122nd NY
                Liberty Rifles
                Southern Guard

Comment

In regards to shaving with a straight razor, twice now i've been to Southern Guard events where someone in the ranks had the skills, expertise, proper technique to safely act as company barber and shave anyone who requested it.

Bill O'Dea
                  Salt boiler mess
                  122nd NY
                  Liberty Rifles
                  Southern Guard

Comment

Hello all,
                    My limited view of the hobby has shown one other thing I did not see mentioned yet: a personal history of the person being portrayed, and more specifically, ones occupation before enlisting. Many of us have picked a job and can say we were (farmer, mechanic, printer...etc.) but we don't know everything that a person so employed would know. I have given this a lot of thought and am just as guilty as anyone else. Thats not to say everyone has overlooked this detail. I think that as living historians, we should make an effort to know more about life as it was before the army and life as it continues at home, as well as the knowledge we have as soldiers. This would make for a much more "3-d" impression.
                    My best Regards,
                    Kevin Schoepfel
                    140th NYVI

Comment

Originally posted by BillO'Dea View Post
                      In regards to shaving with a straight razor, twice now i've been to Southern Guard events where someone in the ranks had the skills, expertise, proper technique to safely act as company barber and shave anyone who requested it.
                      Bill,

Indeed. The first time I got a (very good) shave at a reenactment was at Mumford NY in 1995 (from a then-member of the 140th NY reenactor group); got one at the Immortal 600 in 2002 (from a member of the Columbia Rifles), and one at Winter 1864 2006 (from another member of the Columbia Rifles). There'll be folks getting shaves at Winter 1864 2008 as well.

It's certainly done in the hobby, but as you note, it's probably under-represented. When the blade is sharp and polished properly on a strop, and the person using it knows what they're doing, a good shave at an event can be very relaxing. Frankly, the best one I got was the one at the "mainstream" event in 1995--I believe that was the sharpest razor; I almost went to sleep getting that shave--the fellow weilding the razor certainly knew his stuff when it came that particular department. :)

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                        a personal history of the person being portrayed, and more specifically, ones occupation before enlisting. Many of us have picked a job and can say we were (farmer, mechanic, printer...etc.) but we don't know everything that a person so employed would know.
                        Kevin,

You're quite right that this type of in-depth knowledge about "The Man" is the hallmark of the best reenactors. Fortunately, being a member of the group you are, you have the ready means nearby to acquire a good deal of this type of knowledge in a great, hands-on training environment: sign up for classes at the Genesse Country Village; that place is an unbelievable resource for folks looking to learn more about mid-Nineteenth Century life in small towns in upstate New York. :)

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                          Hello all,
                          My limited view of the hobby has shown one other thing I did not see mentioned yet: a personal history of the person being portrayed, and more specifically, ones occupation before enlisting. Many of us have picked a job and can say we were (farmer, mechanic, printer...etc.) but we don't know everything that a person so employed would know. I have given this a lot of thought and am just as guilty as anyone else. Thats not to say everyone has overlooked this detail. I think that as living historians, we should make an effort to know more about life as it was before the army and life as it continues at home, as well as the knowledge we have as soldiers. This would make for a much more "3-d" impression.

I am not sure from where I received this document and I by no means want to commit any plagiarism. If anyone knows the origin, please let me know so that credit can be given.

This is a good way to get your thoughts together for an impression. This can be helpful for a specific event, where the company or regiment is known. As Mr. O'Beirne said, " "The Man" is the hallmark of the best reenactors."

I believe that this form can be invaluable. From this form, one can develop the man.
                          Attached Files
                          Greg S Barnett
                          Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

I have never seen the document before. I think the most overlooked part is drill. Those men would have known it inside and out and I know I am no expert.
                            Chris Bauer
                            [I]Chris Bauer[/I]

Comment

My 2 cents...

I feel the most overlooked things in all areas in both mainstream AND the authentic hobby are the things that don't have a wide appeal unfortunately... even though certain things did factually happen, some things tend to become underrepresented if few people in the group like them, are politically unpopular, or think they are "cool" appealing. Even if something doesn't fit our modern perceptions it can become underrepresented and often overlooked.

See also Black Confederates, Southern Union Regiments, and femi-soldiers...

... the opposite of the above that are OVER-represented, you might ask?

Bedraggled Confederates, righteous -savior Union troops, farby "Scarlett-style belle of the ball", and General Lee/Abe Lincoln impersonators... LOL

For what it's worth- I feel we tend to study what we want to know and ignore wider research into topics/aspects of the war that we have little to no interest in... mea culpa in this too unfortunately.

Cheers- Johnny Lloyd :)
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

In general some of the answers o what would you like to see at events could be solved for amny of those on this site if they attended better events. In the last three years my pards and I have been attended "better" events. At these events attention is paid to details and the full expierence of the solider. I will never forget the vinegar ration at Ft. Donelson in2005 or being a captive at Ft. Pulaski last spring . The location helped but the research, commitment, and attitude of the participants create the effect.

Greg, I looked at the first person handbook. Great work!

RM
                                Rod Miller
                                [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                                [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                                A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                                1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                                1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                                1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                                1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                                Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                                1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                                Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X