Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1842 Hammer Height?

Hallo!

A while back the question was raised on the "low spur' and "high spur" hammers fround on Springfield and Harpers Ferry made U.S. Model 1842 muskets.

I have taken a survey of fourteen original M1842's, and found that:

Springfield Arsenal:

Locks dated in the 1840's: 2 Low,
    Locks dated in the 1850's: 4 High

Harpers Ferry Arsenal:

Locks dated in the 1840's: 2 Low, 1 High
    Locks dated in the 1850's: 4 High, 1 Low

It would seem, appear, that maybe...

That the low spur hammer was an initial production pattern done through the 1840's, and that it changed at both arsenals in the 1850's.

Also, two exceptions to the observation, may have had replacement hammers done long enough ago to have patined the same as the rest of the gun, or may have been installed that way.

The one example of an 1850's with a low spur has a Harpers Ferry lock plate date of 1850. All those with high spurs (save one) have dates of 1853 and 1854.

Anyone with access to original M1842's or pictures that could post and expand the sample and maybe results... please post!

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 12-29-2007, 02:18 PM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Re: M1842 Hammer Height?

Hi, Curt.

Quick question: how do you measure the height of the hammer spur? I have a Springfield M1842 dated 1846 with a spur that measures about an inch and a quarter. That measurement's taken along the back face of the spur.

HNY,

Jim
    Last edited by James Brenner; 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM.
    James Brenner

Comment

Hallo!

Nice to hear from you, Colonel, er Mister... hope all is well!

Hmmmmm. Unlike band location and sight radius, I don't think there is an established way to measure spurs.

So, in the interest of this "study," let's say measure the back side of the spur from the base-line of the hammer nose to the top of the spur.

So, grabbing up an 1845 dated Springfield, I am measuring 1 and 3/16ths inches. (A short spur.)

Curt
      Bodyguard Daze
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt, from my experience, I would agree with the lower one being earlier production versus the higher one being late, but I think the size difference may be more than only the length. The ealier 1842s we have had in our collection, including one with Mexican War service have all had hammers that in general seemed less bulky, and/or overall smaller in size that the later (1850's) ones we have or had. As you know, its really apparent when you look at the two (?) types side by side.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Working...
        X