Civil War sites in Arkansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War sites in Arkansas?

I know that the battle of PeaRidge happened out there but are there any others? I have looked through several books but have not found anything about Arkansas except for PeaRidge! I may sound stupid but its a question! Evan Hunsberger
    HistoryGeek
    Last edited by Justin Runyon; 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM.
    I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Re: Civil War sites in Arkansas?

Evan,
    There is much more to the Civil War in Arkansas than Pea Ridge. From the battles at Prairie Grove, Helena, and during the Camden Expedition, to the Union occupation of Little Rock from September 1863 to the end of the war, the Civil War had a huge impact all over the state. You might want to try these general works on the topic.

Thomas A. DeBlack, With Fire and Sword: Arkansas, 1861-1874. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2003.

Anne J. Bailey and Daniel Sutherland. Civil War Arkansas: Beyond Battles and Leaders. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2000.

Mark K. Christ, Rugged and Sublime: The Civil War in Arkansas. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1994.

Michael B. Dougan, Confederate Arkansas: The People and Policies of a Frontier State in Wartime. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1976; reprint, 1991.

Use these works to get an idea of the war in Arkansas. They will answer your general questions. Try this site as well
    The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program documents and registers the state’s cultural resource treasures, and provides grants and technical assistance to help the guardians of these places ensure their survival.

If you have any more questions, you can PM me. I hope this helps.
    David Sesser
    Capitol Guards/Reddie to Run Mess

Comment

Prairie Grove was a fairly major engagement as mentioned above. The state park website is;
      Authentic, expansive, and well-preserved, Prairie Grove is known as one of America’s most intact Civil War battlefields. With more than 1,000 acres, this park commemorates the site of the Battle of Prairie Grove, where on December 7, 1862, Confederate and Union forces clashed in a fierce day of fighting that resulted in 2,700 casualties. This battle marked the last major Civil War engagement in Northwest Arkansas. The park offers walking and driving tours, programs, and weekend events. At the Hindman Hall Museum, artifacts recovered from the battle are displayed.

Also, the Arkansas Civil War Roundtable has a website you may want to look at;
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Mr. Sesser's recommendations with regard to reading material are excellent.

Mark's Mill, Poison Springs, Prairie d'Anne, Arkansas Post, Camden and many others await within the confines of the "Natural State." You'll also want to check into the "Battle of the Bees."

Kind regards,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Mr. Hunsberger,

Here is a link to pictures of Jenkin's Ferry: www.civilwaralbum.com/misc/jenkinsferry.htm

A good read on Arkansas is Steele's Retreat From Camden & The Battle of Jenkin's Ferry by Edwin C. Bearss; Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 67-18271. Out of print, so try getting a copy through interlibrary loan.

Regards,
          [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
          [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
          16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
          22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
          &
          [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
          4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Let us not forget Searcy Landing and the various skirmishes surrounding it.
            Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
            Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
            Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

I cannot find my copy of it right now, but when I went through Arkansas in '98, I picked up a free pamphlet that was called the Arkansas Civil War Trail. I cannot locate it to get a web site, but I did a quick google search using "civil war trail arkansas" and found plenty of information. Good luck.
              p.s. Arkansas is a beautiful state and I recommend saving some time to go fly fishing while you are there. To a trout deprived Florida boy, this place is like heaven.
              Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

Some of the other posters forgot the Red River Campaign, and the Battle of Bentonville. A good source, if you can find it, is In Deadly Earnest by Phil Gottschalk. It is a very good history of the MO Confederate Brigade, and details the battles and thier time in Arkansas forming units prior to moving east of the Mississippi. Phil passed away a few years ago and the book was privately published. You might try e-bay or Amazon. Another possible source is James Country Muzzleloading.

Kevin Baker; aka, mobluegraysoldier

Comment

and Elkins Ferry.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Like Texas and some other Southern states, Arkansas puts out a nice folding map and brochure about all the CW sites in their state. I would suggest you have someone pick up one for you and mail it to you or go on the web site of www.civilwarbuff.org or http:history-sites.com/cgi-bin/boards/arcwmb/

The brochure/map is published by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center Street, Little Rock, Ark, 72201. The brochure/map is titled "Aguide to the Arkansas Civil War Heritage Trail". I got mine at a I-45 rest stop.

Joe Walker

Comment

I will be in Arkansas next week, if anyone would like any info from the park..

Comment

Let's not forget the 4th of July Battle at Helena, Ark.
                        Confederate forces, under Sterling Price, attacked an entrenched Federal opponent. (He would make the same boneheaded mistake a few months later up in Pilot Knob, MO in late September).
                        Robert W. Talbott

Comment

oops sorry CivilWarDude, I guess you did mention Helena.
                          Robert W. Talbott

Comment

Working...
                          X