Civil War Historian article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Historian article

I put this in the Sinks since it has some degree of personal opinion. I just received the January/February issue of Civil War Historian and was quite disappointed in the “Drill Books & Rifles” article. I thought the whole article missed the point on drill manual transitions , definitely only my personal opinion. But I also saw a number of errors or misstatements, many lifted almost word for word from “Attack And Die” that I feel transcend personal opinion. This may be seen as the ramblings of an anal retentive drillhead but I see little difference from the one-mention-of-a-female-soldier-means-there-were-probably-60,000 school of thought. To list all would be longer than the article, I’ll add others as time permits, but as an example:

CWH article says;
    “The attempt to use Scott’s third volume to supplement Hardee failed when the outbreak of war made massive drilling and training necessary. Scott’s third volume confused commanders because it occasionally referred to Scott’s first two volumes, which were now obsolete.”

I thought this a remarkable statement and envisioned dozens and dozens of brigades dead in the water unable to drill with the “failed” system in place.

Checking the source, “Attack And Die”, 1982, says :
    “The attempt to use Scott’s third volume as a third volume for Hardee’s work failed when the outbreak of war made massive drilling and training necessary. Scott’s third volume confused commanders because it occasionally referred to Scott’s first two volumes, which were now obsolete.”

Checking their source, Duffield’s “School Of The Brigade And Evolutions Of The Line”, 1862, says:
    “ The new system of infantry tactics, adopted by the War Department May 1, 1861, has modified the former system of Lieutenant-General Winfield Scott to such an extent, that it has become a very difficult for the volunteer officer, to make himself familiar with the various movements of a brigade or division. This difficulty is still further increased by the fact, that all the references in General Scott’s Evolutions of the Line, are made to the sections of the first and second volumes of his very valuable work, which has been much modified by the new system.
    The want of a new work has been severally felt by many, who have recently assumed the profession of arms without the requisite knowledge or prior study, that would enable them to make the necessary corrections in General Scott’s Evolutions of the Line, incident to the adoption of an entire new school of the soldier, company, and battalion. Many of my brother officers have, therefore, urged me to prepare a system of instruction for their use; and in compliance with this request, I have completed the following work, with the earnest hope, that it may relieve them from much unnecessary study”

All I see different so far is Duffield added paragraph numbers, looking at 'Loading at will and the firings' for instance I found:

SCOTT
    1. Prepare to load
    1745. This having been repeated, the general will add:
    2. Load
    1746. This, immediately repeated, will be executed as prescribed, School of the Battalion.

DUFFIELD
    1. Prepare to load
    37. This having been repeated, the general will add:
    2. Load
    38. This, immediately repeated, will be executed as prescribed in School of the Battalion No 31.

CASEY
    1. Prepare to load
    28. This having been repeated, the general will add:
    2. Load
    29. This, immediately repeated, will be executed as prescribed in the S. B.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Re: Civil War Historian article

Admiral,

Good eye, there. I wonder why folks do this type of thing, knowing that a lot of other learned folks with the same or similar focus on certain topics are reading their work.

It may be worthwhile to contact the author of the piece and/or the Editor of the magazine and see what they say.

Comment

I thought the same thing. There were some egregious mistakes. Some of the weapons were identified by the wrong names, also in that article it states something like the US 1835 flintlock was the predominant musket in the Mexican War (what?), etc. Frankly the other articles were not up to the usual CWH standard either. Top Ten CS Generals? Civil War Trivia? Then the N-SSA article states "....while most reenactors pay attention to the details of CW uniforms and equipment this is not the stressed by the N-SSA." Wrong song sunshine, it is quite at the forefront of their discussions. And even more picture heavy than usual. The Michael Cunningham article was good, as you'd expect and I found myself in one of the numerous pics taken at Mill Springs, so there you go. That was enough to salvage the issue for me.

Time for you research minded folks to send in some better articles.CWH had been getting good support from the AC Forum scholars. Nothing on OP III? I am going to shoot my friend the editor an email. He loves feedback from subscribers, me especially. An issue like this one is usually your first sign that Nicky Hughes is about to move on to something else, if the past is any indicator of the future.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-02-2008, 03:33 PM. Reason: adding the word "egregious", I love that word
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

John,

Looks as though you just posted the letter to the editor which needs to be sent to the magazine.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Frankly, this last issue made the decision for me to not renew. IMO it is by and far the worst issue published w/ multuiple "half way" articles. The N-SSA article was nothing more than a few photos w/ some fluff text, the top 10 CS Generals was pretty poor when it came to any knd of depth and the Mill Springs bit seemed just to be some photos included as filler.

I had high hopes and am probably being premature but the magazine just seems to have been on a gentle downward spiral of late w/ this last issue accelerating the slide to a feet first jump.

I've got two more issues coming my way before I have to start haunting Borders or Barnes & Noble to decide if I want individual issues.
          Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
          SUVCW Camp 48
          American Legion Post 352
          [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Even Ford produced an Edsel.

I received my magazine a few days ago, but have not done more than glance at all the photos. Haven't been in the mood. For all that I did in choosing a particular person to portray the provisional governor of the commonwealth at Perryville, I thought I'd at least get an avatar sized photo of me at Mill Springs. Better yet, a decent photo of my general or that other general who retired at the event. Sigh. No such luck.

I'll make sure the governor hears about this when he makes a tour to Oregon City this April.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Example No. 2, U.S. Infantry Tactics was basically Hardee without his name and I assume maybe that was confused with Casey somehow, who does credit Hardee. In any case the U.S. Tactics was already "widely available in the North" so the statement(s) below don’t make any sense on either point and Casey himself tells us what he intended with his manual, we don’t have to conjecture. ATTACK AND DIE has some good information but gets a little out there at times, especially the chapter on Confederates as wild Celtic hordes versus solid English yankees. If I was going to copy from someone it'd be Nosworthy.

CWH article
              “The most important successor in the Federal service to Hardee’s manual was Brigadier General Silas Casey’s Infantry Tactics, which was based on the same French source as Hardee’s and added very little to tactical theory. It was intended to make the Hardee system widely available in the North without crediting the system to a soldier who had become a Confederate general.”

Attack And Die:
              “The most important successor to Hardee’s manual was General Silas Casey’s Infantry Tactics, which was based on the same French source as Hardee’s and added very little to tactical theory. When Casey’s work first appeared in 1862 it was not intended to be a revision of Hardee’s Tactics but rather was intended to make the Hardee system widely available in the North without crediting the system to a soldier who had become a Confederate general.”

Preface from Casey:
              “The following volumes of Infantry Tactics are based upon the French ordonnances of 1831 and 1845, for the manoeuvres of heavy infantry and chasseurs à pied. Both of these systems have been in use in our service for some years; the former having been translated by Lieutenant-General Scott, and the latter by Lieutenant-Colonel Hardee. ….I have seen the necessity of a uniform system for the manoeuvres of all the infantry arm of service. ....”
              John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I'm coming in late, and I haven't read the article in question, but I was a little befuddled by the comment about "Scott's Tactics." The author doesn't seem to have seen this little item, which I included in "Deutsche Achtung!" of the new edition of the CRRC. In sum, "Scott's" couldn't have been too confusing, because a) it was obviously being used months after the war began and b) it was being used in a brigade which included a substantial "Dutch" component, which, in turn, counted in its ranks some ethnic German officers who had a less-than-solid command of the English language (e.g., August Willich himself, who was no dummy but was well-known for his mangled syntax).

***Nevertheless, surviving German translations of standard American tactical works uniformly show that while drill instruction was frequently conducted auf Deutsch, the commands themselves remained in English—undoubtedly to preclude confusion when drilling or in the field. Further evidence supporting the fact that, once out in the field, German regiments “got with the program” is amply shown in the following order drawn from the order books of the 34th Illinois, which was initially assigned to the same brigade as the 32nd (1st German) Indiana:

General Orders No 43 Numbered at H.D. No 27
                Division Order No 27 Head Qurs Central Division
                Camp Nevin [Ky]

Nov 20/[18]61

11. Theoretical instruction under the direction of Colonels of Regiments for Company Officers each day from 7. to 7. PM [sic] This instruction to embrace the school of the Soldier, Company and Battalion.--
                12. Theoretical instruction under the direction of Brigade Commanders for Feild [sic] Officers of Regiments each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, Evenings from 9. until 11 P.M. This instruction to embrace the School of the Battalion and evolutions of the Line Text 3d Vol of Scotts and Battalion Maneuvering will conform to the new Edition of tactics published by the War Department [i.e., USI&RT, May 1861]
                13. The General Commanding takes this opportunity to inform the officers of this command that agreeable to orders from the War Department a commission to examine into the capabilities and qualifications of officers for their respective ranks and commands will be appointed at a proper time [to] commence its labors--
                14. It is the hope and will be pride of the Genl commanding to make this advance a Model one and asks the hearty cooperation of every officer of this command If each individual officer of this command attends Strictly to his proper duties his time will be fully occupied from Reveille until Tattoe [sic].
                By command of
                Brig Genl A M.D. McCook
                David McCook
                Asst Adjt Genl.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                Last edited by markj; 01-02-2008, 10:04 AM.
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                X