• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essence of coffee recipe

I am looking for a recipe for "essence of coffee."

Matthew Sternad

Re: Essence of coffee recipe

There's a good thread about it on here somewhere but I tried to search it and couldn't find it. So here goes.

Place one half cup of instant coffee crystals in a cup and add a few drops of boiling water. Use as little as possible, but you want the coffee to break down some. Then empty one can or Borden's condensed milk into a pan or bowl heat on the stove or microwave until it is heated slighty, now mix the coffee paste into the warm condensed milk, auntil it makes a nice think almost fudgy paste. Thats one way to do it I'm sure there are others. I've discovered its more an art then a science to get it right so there is some play in the receipe. Good Luck!
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

There is an excellent research article at www.fugawee.com (the shoe company), just scroll down to instant coffee. They list period correspondance, regulations, and receipts.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

You can also find related info under this thread:

Making Condensed Milk

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thank you all,
          I shall give it a good old college try. Now does anyone know where I can get a printable label for the coffee?

Matthew Sternad

Comment

I was viewing the essence thread two days ago. Here's the link : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=13288 I post it to thank a particular moderator on this forum for combining a zillion food related threads into one place to make in an effort to make things easier to find. The substantial downside is that you have to go through a hundred plus pages - not posts - to make sure you've gone through it all. It didn't make things easier.

I nearly posted a snide response two days ago, but thought I'd give it a rest instead. Okay. I've rested. I've made my snide remark. Your turn, moderator.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
            X