"Non-standard" armaments discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Non-standard" armaments discussion

Anyone got a picture or diagram of an original "land torpedo"? Hmmm... Johnny ;)
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

"caltrop" AKA "crows-foot"

A "caltrop" AKA "crows-foot" is pictured in Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia by Francis Lord, Vol. III, p. 59: cast iron approximately 2" from point to point. They are designed to always land with points up, so they can be spread quickly in front of defensive positions.

There were also versions of the "crows-foot" made from nails used to confound cavalry.

These static cavalry booby traps function in the manner of contemporary law enforcement "spike systems" deployed on road surfaces to puncture the tires of fleeing suspects.
      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
      &
      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Can you get more 'non standard' than a Monitor?
        How did that thing float, let alone fight.:confused_
        Ian Smith
        55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
        27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Anyone got a picture or diagram of an original "land torpedo"?
          http://members.tripod.com/~car0lesc0tt/rains.htm

Has some info, a picture, and I found this this quote interesting,

"He first planted mines in the form of Columbiad artillery shells equipped with sensitive fuse primers while still leading a brigade as a method of distancing his men from Union cavalry. Whole Union companies bolted in panic when they began to go off.

Union General W. T. Sherman reported that "the rebels' land torpedoes at Fort McAllister (near Savannah) killed more of our men than the heavy guns of the fort." Like Sherman, many Union officers railed against the use of mines, saying their use was unethical."
          Ron Mueller
          Illinois
          New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
          Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

--The Quincy Dispatch (Florida) of the 19th says....

The Yankees have been attempting to blow up trains of cars on the Florida railroad with torpedoes. On Tuesday last, a torpedo, containing sixty-eight pounds of powder, was taken up by our men, between Baldwin and Gainesville, some fifteen miles from Baldwin. Two trains had passed over the torpedo without exploding it. It was buried in the centre of the track, and was to be fired by means of a lock and cap attached to a musket barrel, and laid under one of the rails, and connecting with the torpedo by a gutta-percha tube. A piece of iron happened to be left between the hammer of the lock and the cap, which prevented the explosion when the cars passed over.

Comment

Speaking of caltrops, there are several examples at the bottom of this page.

Dan Chmelar
              Semper Fi
              -ONV
              -WIG
              -CIR!

Comment

Nasty looking little buggers.

I wish I could find one of the examples of the ancient caltrops that I have seen. They points on them that were considerably longer and ended in barbed points. Scipio's troops used them notably against Hannibal in North Africa during the Punic Wars.
                Matthew S. Laird
                [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                [/COLOR]
                [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

There was also that field piece that was about the size of a mountain howitizer, the muzzle of it looked like a cheese grate or Chinese Checker board. It was intended to simultaneously fire a bunch of minie balls at once. I seem to remember it was made in England. I think there were two of them made but they were never used. I think they were found in Richmond right after the surrender. I do not recall what they were called.

Jerry
                  Jerry Gouge
                  1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Jerry-

You are referring to the "Vandenburgh Volley Gun". Invented in 1860 by General Origen Vandenburgh of New York. He sold them to the South after failing to sell his gun to Britain.

For more information and a pic, check this site out:

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hello All
                      I was wondering why no one has posted any reference to the Williams Gun, the quick firing small, 1.5 inch Cannon used at the Battle of 7 Pines by the CSA. Threre are pictures of the 1.5 inch Bolt device they fired in other publications.
                      There are several people making copies of them today. see, http://spriks-civil-war-cannon-sales.com/page2.html.
                      Yours
                      Mike Foley
                      Mike Foley
                      Quatermaster Sergeant
                      Batterys L and M
                      3rd US Artillery Reserve
                      California Historical Artillery Society
                      Warhorse.org
                      " Load 'em Heavy Boys"

Comment

Hi All,

My all time favorite Non Standard Weapon is the electrically fired mine.

It usilized a simple wet cell "Galvanic" battery , a knife switch and a fellow behind a log waiting for the enemy with the wires run to the mine.

The other is the mechanically fired torpedo. It used a propeller that moved with the current , running a set of gears (assembled for gear reduction) that gradually pulled down a fireing pin/striker that when pulled all the way would release, striking a percussion cap, fireing the mine.

I belive in all honestey the Land Torpedo or Mine was the best hope for the south to have held out against the United States Army. If it had have been used more & the tactics developed accordingly. Who knows what would have happend, besides a longer war.

Don S
                        Last edited by D F Smith Historic; 01-25-2008, 04:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        Don F Smith

Comment

Since one the sea-going types has already chimed in here, and this is the Sinks, I thought I would post this.

Ft Fisher living history program March 1984. The galvanic marine torpedo is original to the fort and sits safe & sound in the visitors center today.
                          Attached Files
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Wow that is too cool

That torpedo would definatley make a good "pop" in the water !

Don S
                            Don F Smith

Comment

It usilized a simple wet cell "Galvanic" battery , a knife switch and a fellow behind a log waiting for the enemy witht eh wires run to the mine.

The ancestor of the Claymore antipersonnel mine? A candidate, at least. :)

Herr Noah. It is an AC Forum requirement that one's avatar be of oneself in Period attire. Please change yours. Thank you. Curt Schmidt, Moderator.

Star Trek quotes removed from signature line. Jim Kindred, Moderator.
                              Last edited by JimKindred; 02-01-2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: AC Forum Rule violation

Comment

Hi Noah

One Torpedo that was VERY similar to the Claymore, is how some of the CS troops at the Priest Cap at Port Hudson used some 32Lb shells and Case shot.

Basically the shell was burried into the face of the works near the surface fitted with a friction primer, atached lanyard and run into the inside of the Works.

When the enemy had enterd the moat and were trying to move up the face of the works in an asult . The lanyard was pulled, detonating the shell .

A very brutal , but effective way of removing the enemy from the front of the works with out hurting the works them selves. As the blast whent totally out ward.

I learned about these while a Historical Interpretive Ranger for The Louisiana Park service & was illustrating some Park Interpretive signs for Port Hudson to Illustrate this dreadful machine of war.

The Civil war was a very modern war in many terable ways.

I think the absolute best weapon of war was the combined use of the Telegraph, Rail Roads and Signal Corps. With out communication all the force in the world is useless.

Don S
                                Don F Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X