Alternative Weapon II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Weapon II

The unusual weapon thread got me thinking (a dangerous thing). Anyhow, there's a fellow at one Civil War Round Table who tells me he has his great-great-great-what-not's gun. He described it to me and being small bore (below .45 cal), it sounded a lot like a squirrel gun. I told him that from its description that it wasn't an issued Union weapon. He then told me that his ancestor was detached as a teamster and drove wagons during the war.

So, could a teamster take a gun of his choice? I've never read that anywhere. He told me that it was used for foraging and not fighting Johnny.
    GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Re: Alternative Weapon II

Just an opinion with no basis in fact on my part.
    That sounds plausible to me.Did he mention what theatre his ancestor fought in? I dont know that that would matter but it couldnt hurt to know. It seems that a story like that would come from the western thatre.

Just my opinion though.
    Russell L. Stanley
    Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
    Co.A 45th Mississippi
    Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
    Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Teamster's had to eat too!
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Gary-

It's my understanding that the teamsters were civilian contract employees,
        and therefore not subject to the standard weapons issue as the rest of the
        military personel, so therefore they had the choice of either drawing side
        and/or long arms from the quartermaster or providing their own of
        civilian manufacture or etc.
        Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
        -Cezanne

Comment

Working...
        X