Is it for real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it for real?

Was down in New Orleans yesterday, walking around I found a shop selling war relics...one thing that caught my eye was " Civil War Hard Tack". It was in a small case, it was black. I forget the price...because I just laughed. Well, the more I thought about it, the more I had to ask "is it possible that something made of flour could be preserved this many years?"

I went to the previous files on this site...could not find anything...except how to make it.

So is it possible, or was my first reaction correct? I know there are alot of fakes on the market...but I really wanted to ask.

Oh BTW....GO LSU!!!

And forward to Port Hudson.
    Last edited by Dale Beasley; 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM.

Re: Is it for real?

I believe the Gettysburg Collection does have a piece of hardtack that was carried by a Confederate during the campaign.So it is possible for flour to be preserved.Hope this helps some.
    Cullen
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

I had a friend who inherited a bunch of his great uncles stuff he had in the war. He had saved some hardtack he had been issued. Unfortunately it was lost in Hurricane Katrina. So it is possible.
      Timothy J. Koehn
      Boone's Louisiana Battery
      Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
      http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Here in central Virginia, the White Oak Museum displays a ball of dough that was actually excavated from a Union encampment in Stafford County.

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I live near Cleveland and I remember a few years ago going to the Western Reserve Historical Society to see a Civil War exhibit set up and one item in the exhibit was an original piece of hard tack it was still white only slightly aged. From what I remember it was a large piece like the one in the picture in union EOG on page 224 of the ohio soldiers using there knapsacks as tables. I don't know if the piece is from the collection of the Western Reserve Historical Society but in any case here is another example of an original piece of hard tack that still exists today.

Patrick Abbey
          Patrick Abbey

Liberty Rifles
          SC Society

Comment

Also, an original hard cracker is pictured on page 321 in The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (2nd Edition).

Regards,
            [FONT="Georgia"]Casimer Rosiecki[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the answers, it was one that I just kept thinking about, I have never seen or paid any attention to ... so it is possible, but I would have bought something else, know what I mean.:)
              Last edited by Dale Beasley; 01-08-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I believe too that completely possible, we found in Bourgogne, seeds in a Celtic grave of the 7th century of which we managed to make germinate and a friend researcher on the Gallo-Roman period, says to me that that arrives often, then why not Hardtack :)
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

Yep. Our local county historical association has a piece of wartime hardtack in its holdings.

Preservation can be a snap if the ambient conditions are right.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The Alabama archieves in Montgomery has a piece of "Confederate" hardtack. It is round, about 5" in diameter. It appears to have been coated in shellac.

Joe Walker

Comment

Same, same with the Atlanta History Center. I've stared in wide wonder at the original piece right up against the glass many a time.
                      Ross L. Lamoreaux
                      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
                        The Alabama archieves in Montgomery has a piece of "Confederate" hardtack. It is round, about 5" in diameter. It appears to have been coated in shellac.

Joe Walker

Same here, it appeared to be coated in shellac and it was shinny black.

Comment

Our State Hist Society archives have a framed piece of authentic hardtack. I'll try to get a photo of it and the details on who "preserved" it from his wartime experiences.
                          Paul Hadley
                          Paul Hadley

Comment

Hallo!

"I live near Cleveland and I remember a few years ago going to the Western Reserve Historical Society to see a Civil War exhibit set up and one item in the exhibit was an original piece of hard tack it was still white only slightly aged.'

Naw, that was just me holding one there that day. ;)

Seriously, it depends upon favorable "conditions" in how things get preserved through the years.
                            The oldest food item I have handled/examined was some white flaky, chalky stuff. It was fish soup/stew from a 13th century grave site offering.

'Black" would strike me a bit off or odd.

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Dale! How's it going? ;)

From The Citadel Museum in Charleston, SC... It's postwar- 1890, but the pic speaks for itself:

-Johnny Lloyd

PS- Note the 1890s-period handwritten note at top: "... Could not eat it." is the quote.(Even when it was fresh!)

PSS- For the record, the food in that darn mess hall wasn't any better in the 1990s when I was there. Probably the same stuff from 100 years before too... One word- "roachcakes"
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM.
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X