Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haydock 1859 Catholic Bible

Pards,
    I've been meaning to post this for the past six months, so this may be old news to some. My wife and I received as a wedding gift the recently reprinted 1859 Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible and I must say it was an awesome gift. I highly recommend it to any of you who are looking for war period Catholic bibles. Here is a link where you can check one out:

PS. It is quite large (approx 16''x12'') and by no means would you be able to carry it into the field. Sorry.
    Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
    John Brizzay Mess
    SkillyGalee Mess
    http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Re: Haydock 1859 Catholic Bible

That's great, but a little out of my price range. Has anyone come across a repro Catholic Bible that would be campaign-able? I keep looking but can only find Protestant versions.
    Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Joe, I found the Douay-Rheims Psalms/Gospels for $35.00 (leather cover) at my local Catholic bookshop. It is a re-print of the 1890 version, which is based on the 17th C. original. It is small enough for field use.
      Yours, most respectfully,
      Kevin Kilcommons

Comment

Thank ye kindly.
        Joe Marti

Comment

I would argue that it might be more appropriate to carry a Catholic prayer book, such as Key to Heaven or the Golden Manual.

You can find pocket versions of these for sale on eBay, some for as little as $20. Very few of them are dated from the 1860's, but a review of the contents of eight verisons between 1840 and 1960 shows almost no change in contents other than the artwork.
          Robert Carter
          69th NYSV, Co. A
          justrobnj@gmail.com
          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

You know what? You're probably right about that. Thanks for the calibration.
            Joe Marti

Comment

Originally posted by mtvernon View Post
              That's great, but a little out of my price range. Has anyone come across a repro Catholic Bible that would be campaign-able? I keep looking but can only find Protestant versions.
              All I've seen are New Testaments. I'd love to carry a full (Protestant) Bible in the field, but haven't seen a good repro. I bought an original dated 1846 off Ebay, but have no desire to risk damaging it.
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

You can usually find fine small period Bibles on ebay at any point. I have a bunch of them I have purchased from there. Here is an example that is currently available at a resonable price. They are typically not so pristine that you would feel bad about carrying them into the field. I would buy this one if I did not already have so many of them.

Jerry

THE HOLY BIBLE,

CONTAINING THE
                OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS:

TRANSLATED OUT OF
                THE ORIGINAL TONGUES:
                AND
                WITH FORMER TRANSLATIONS DILIGENTLY
                COMPARED AND REVISED.

PHILADELPHIA:
                J. B. LIPPINCOTT & CO.
                brown leather
                gold gild
                3.5" x 5" x 1.5"
                .75" metal clasp
                856 pages Old Testament
                259 pages New Testament
                77 pages Psalms of David in Metre
                This is a nice little Bible. It contains both The Old and New Testaments. It's worn and cover has been taped on the inside. However, it's in pretty good shape to be 145 years old! It has an old handwritten inscription in the front, and a first name written in pencil on the last page. What's really neat about this Bible is the unique clasp. And it still works very well! This book would be a wonderful addition to an old collection. There are no missing pages.
                Jerry Gouge
                1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Working...
                X