What did guys back then call "leathers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did guys back then call "leathers"

In my project I have been working on, Mickey Black made the point that a modern "reenactorism" is that we call our cartridge box, waist belt, cap box, and bayonett scabbard "leathers." Mickey said he has not seen any documentation that shows that soldiers of the period called these things "leathers." Can someone verify that, or can someone show that they did call them "leathers"?
    David Fictum,
    Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
    recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Re: What did guys back then call "leathers"

Accoutrements springs to mind as a possibility.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I do not know for the civil war and for the United States, but in France at the same period called it to us " the equipment " or " the accoutrement " and later " the brellage "
      William Miconnet
      French Mess
      AES
      BGR & IPW Survivor
      Never ever give up!
      In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
      I believe!

Comment

Hallo!

Sometimes "traps."

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I also seem to recall at least one instance of the men being told to "Couter Up".
          David Buckley

CWPT

"We have the wolf by the ears; and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Does anyone have actual hard evidence of the names for acoutrements that they could link here?

Also, how many people actually still call their acoutrements "leathers"? Is that still a major "reenactorism"?
            David Fictum,
            Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
            recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

In "Give it to them Jersey Blues" by Joe Bilby they call them traps throughout the book. The books starts in Early 1861 with the training of the 7thNJ Vol Inf. The men give a good description on how to wear thier traps in a letter home and go into detail on how they are yelled at if tier traps hang low.
              Drew Ingram
              7th NJ CO A
              2nd Battalion
              6th Marines
              WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

David

Sometimes you have to actually open up a book and read through it. Not everything from the US Civil War time period is available in the form of "links" to a website. I am currently reading the new revised edition of Co Aytch, in which the author (Sam Watkins, 1st TN) speaks more than a few times of his cartridge box, and he refers to it as such... "In addition, every one of us had his gun, cartridge-box, knapsack and three days' rations, a pistol on each side and a long Bowie knife." Then in the chapter on Cheat Mtn he writes "I saw soldiers running to their tents and grabbing their guns and cartridge-boxes ." Later, at Shiloh, he reports, "We were not more than twenty paces from them; and here I was shot through the hat and cartridge-box."

The military definition of "accoutrements" is "equipment other than uniforms and weapons", which would be more than just the leather items like the cartridge box, and would include issued items not made of leather such as the canteen and haversack. As such Watkins does make a distinction in his writing by naming the individual articles. He makes reference to accoutrements separately when "On one occasion, while inspecting the arms and accoutrements of our regiments, (the officer) came to inspect Company H and he said, "Shentlemens, vat for you make de pothook out of de sword and de bayonet, and trow de cartridge-box in de mud? Watkins meaning here seems clear enough...he does not refer to his accoutrements jointly as "leathers" (or even "traps"). Obviously, the vernacular varied by region and by Army, but any period references to "leathers" as a term for the accoutrement set are not known to me, or least not easily found.

Does anybody now use the term "leathers" in reference to a set of accoutrements? Nobody I know.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-12-2008, 11:52 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Orders to dress & put on accoutrements at 2.00 A.M. to be ready for any emergency" were issued.
                  Cyrus Hussey dairy, 48th OVI.

March 5th 1865
                  Remained in camp all day. Capt Cameron had inspection of arms and accoutrements. Regts presented a very good appearance.
                  Cornelius Platter diary, 81st OVI
                  Paul Calloway
                  Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                  Proud Member of the GHTI
                  Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                  Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

The term "leathers" you speak of is undoubtedly a reenactorism. Accoutrements is the period and therefore the correct way to address your individual leather items as a set. While “traps” can be referenced in numerous sources, as some have exampled in their posts here, accoutrements is the majorities’ word of choice.

Comment

I've always called them accoutrements
                      Chrsi Bauer
                      [I]Chris Bauer[/I]

Comment

I've plowed through thousands of published and unpublished letters, hundreds of books, dozens of diaries (published and unpublished), and over 100 newspapers in full or part.

Not once I have ever seen "leathers" used as a nickname for accoutrements.

Accordingly, here's the "Official New Jersey Response" to your question:

"Forget about it."

Very truly and cordially yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I have been doing Civil War reenacting since the mid 1980s and have always used the word accoutrements for the items as a group and individually as cartridge box, belt, canteen, etc. So I believe that the word accoutrements as a group is the most "authentic" In what I have read so far the word is accoutrments. Might be wrong, but maybe not.
                          Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
                          20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
                          Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
                          Army of the Potomac

Comment

Personally I like to call them my "special friends that carry the ammo, caps, bayonet, and side knife used to kill rebels or indians", but that's just me. :-)

Seriously though, until someone finds that odd quote of someone referring to their accouterments or traps as "leathers" this etymological examination seems to have pretty much run its course.

Now as to that other term "guys", as used in reference to one's fellows, there seems to still be a rich etymological landscape left to explore. The OED identifies the roots of this usage to America in 1847 but that doesn't exactly tell us how common this usage actually was in common society.
                            GUY "fellow," 1847, originally Amer.Eng.; earlier (1836) "grotesquely or poorly dressed person," originally (1806) "effigy of Guy Fawkes," leader of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up British king and Parliament (Nov. 5, 1605), paraded through the streets by children on the anniversary of the conspiracy. The male proper name is from Fr., related to It. Guido, lit. "leader," of Gmc. origin
                            Slang: A Dictionary of the Turf, the Ring, the Chase, the Pit, of Bon-ton and the varieties of life. (London, 1823)
                            Guy, a—an ugly mug, or queerly-togged old-one, like the effigies of Guy Fawkes on the fifth of November.
                            The Slang Dictionary: Or, The Vulgar Words, Street Phrases, and "fast expressions" of High and Low Society (1865 London)
                            GUY, a fright, a dowdy, an ill-dressed person. Derived from the effigy of Guy Fawkes carried about by boys on Nov. 5.
                            The Slang Dictionary: Etymological, Historical, and Anecdotal (London, 1874)
                            Guy, a fright, a dowdy, an ill-dressed person. Derived from the effigy of Guy Fawkes carried about by boys on Nov. 5. "Hollo, boys, another Guy!"
                            Ain't words fun? ;-)
                            Last edited by AZReenactor; 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM.
                            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy, I believe "guy" was also occasionally used as a verb, wherein to "guy" someone was to jest at or otherwise provoke him. So, feel free to "guy" the next reenactor who refers to his "leathers."

...and I'll see you this weekend at Camp Roberts (a local West Coast EBUFU for the those out east).
                              Last edited by Dan Munson; 01-14-2008, 03:49 PM. Reason: Added a thought
                              Dan Munson
                              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
                              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Working...
                              X