Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the cutting edge today?

Hi gents,

For myself this would be a combination of what Aaron stated regarding invitation only events and enjoying NPS or state owned battlefield events where your on the real ground depicting as accurately as possible a unit to tell their story.

An example of the NPS or battlefield event above the norm would be the combined federal company consisting of the Southern Guard, WIG, and units that now make up the ONV at Stones River National Battlefield Park on June 11-12, 2005 hosted by the Hogg Mess. Some great impressions, excellent docent material, and everyone working together to make a great experience for all. Also we had an excellent event at Gettysburg National Battlefield Park back in August of 2000 representing the 7th Wisconsin with Bob Braun leading our company of experienced enthusiasts from the Hard Heads, 33d Wisconsin, and a few other gents and having the opportunity to meet John Reynolds family during the weekend. You had gents whom had a solid kit, attitude, and could drill and act like a soldier. And seeing Weed latch on to someone in the crowd and talk to them for hours was a treat as well. We also had wonderful events with the Southern Guard again back in 2006 at Gainesville (Second Manassas) depicting the 7th Wisconsin on August 28th, 1862 again with great impressions, accurate drill, and docent materials along with gents whom wanted to be soldiers for a weekend and Steve Acker's little living history at the Carter House back in 2004 depicting the 24th Wisconsin at a place that is special to a lot of Hard Heads. Again those whom attended had great impressions, knew their drill, read some excellent docent material, and acted like a soldier during the weekend.

As for my favorite immersive event, Pickett's Mill of 2004 takes it because of the felling of exhaustion from the march & heat, the combat experience which was as "in the moment" as I have ever experienced, and the camaraderie depicting the 5th Kentucky we had with our mess mates even though first person was not totally maintained in the ranks for the entire event. Pickett's Mill is one of my favorite cutting edge events that I am looking forward to attending again in a few months. Also Land Between the Lakes of 2006 had some very good first person moments as well working with a company of gents that knew how to be a soldier and everyone sharing the experience of working together using our soldier skills to find the location where the opposition was approaching and trying to beat them to a tactical position. Made for a very good event.

Like most opinion threads, your mileage may vary but a good discussion of what type of experineces you enjoy the most.

Tom
    Last edited by TKlas; 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM. Reason: Wording
    Tom Klas
    Hard Head Mess
    Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
      In my opinion, what makes an event "cutting edge" is an event that does something new. In the context of our hobby, that "something new" must be something that
      - brings us closer to the experiences common to "the old fellows"
      - brings a new interpretive approach to the spectator to deepen their understanding of the war, a particular battle, or the experience of the common soldier
      - Does either of the above two on the original ground.

Many of the events mentioned were cutting edge... 'cept now its already been done, so its not cutting edge anymore! ;)

Several years ago, CCG featured an article about Joe Bordanaro (sp?) and a couple of his pards retracing the route of approach of a Federal regiment to Gettysburg. One their own, they took turns walking or driving a vehicle to scout ahead for resting points, water, etc. I think Joe walked the whole route... a hundred miles or so! Talk about pushing the envelop!!!!

I'd love to be able to do that on a larger scale.

This is a very interesting old thread. What is the cutting edge today? What might the cutting edge be for the 150th Anniversary Event 2013? The 150th Anniversary Event 2014? The 150th Anniversary Event 2015?
      Adam Dintenfass

Comment

As a general proposition, the cutting edge is going to be dulled by the 150th cycle. Carpe eventums (carpe eventae?) at mega events will be standard. Mega events like Manassas, Shiloh and Gettysburg are good examples. There was a time when mega events would not be listed on the a/c, yet here they are. That seems to be what folks on the forum want, so there they go. A few big LH's with enforced authenticity standards are sure to occur, but these LH's will be exception. (Here's my plug for a living history at that perennial bastid step child battle called Vicksburg in late May, 2013.)

With people coming out of the woodwork for one last hurrah, the current cycle is going to feel more like a series of CW veterans reunions than serious living history. I guess that's okay if that's the goal, but I'll be glad when the cycle has passed so we can get back to the new normal.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
          With people coming out of the woodwork for one last hurrah, the current cycle is going to feel more like a series of CW veterans reunions than serious living history. I guess that's okay if that's the goal, but I'll be glad when the cycle has passed so we can get back to the new normal.
          Yeah, with guys coming out of the woodwork like Paul McKee, Scott Cross, Brian Baird, and Daryl Black for one last hurrah, "quality living history" doesn't come to mind, does it? ;)
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Now, now. I wasn't knocking the old guys. I'm just saying that people who haven't been around much, if at all, may make their last appearances before retiring from this hobby. Then, they'll be gone. Hopefully, a new group will rise following the 150's. They'll constitute the new normal.

After the 150's have passed, we might see a new different kind of CW history : reunions. We could look like this : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...0&d=1253578412 There are enough of us graybeards to make it happen already.

The food and lodgings would be better. Vets were served French pressed coffee at the Vicksburg Peace Jubilee in 1917. Sounds pretty good to me. Who makes the best UCV suit?
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Actually Silas, a bunch of us in the "first wave of campaigners" pondered during the 125th's if when the 150ths came along if we'd be doing G.A.R. (Grand Army of Reenactors) "Com'ere you! Where were you in '81?!" I know my old Mudsill pards did a seriously great G.A.R event or two back in the 90's, and had a blast.
              I've attempted to replace myself, but the two young folks I've gotten involved reenacting/living history (my son and my nephew) have not taken to this time period. There is a new crop coming up, but I seriously doubt we will see the numbers maintained we've had for the last 20-25 years. As for me and my house, I would like to hang around as a sutler just to see what happens. Got to find a two wheel cart to do that though.
              Last edited by dixieflyer; 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM. Reason: operator headspace and timing
              Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
              Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
              Former Mudsill
              Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Reunions, you say? Like, maybe, picnicing near the high water mark at Gettysburg:

What Silas said, about the 150ths dulling the cutting edge for a while. I'm just lying low till all the old guys get the big back-slapping parties out of their system, leave the hobby if they want, and then more actual good events will start popping up again for everybody else.

However, I'd nominate Raising the First at Fort Snelling this spring, as still an example of where the cutting edge can be, even during a 150th anniversary military event. On a small civilian scale, flying under the radar, the Independence Village folks are plugging along with a series of good civilian-focussed events tied into the 150th anniversary cycle, and I expect there are lots of other similar small events like that flying under the radar.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@gmail.com
                Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                  After the 150's have passed, we might see a new different kind of CW history : reunions. We could look like this : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...0&d=1253578412 There are enough of us graybeards to make it happen already.
                  Silas, hopefully when that happens this board can change it's name to the "Authentic Reunioner" or "Arthritic Ex-Campaigner"... actually I wonder at times why it doesn't change it's name already.

But I digress... I hope everyone enjoys the 'biggest event of the year' at Manassas this weekend. Never mind the effort that happened in Saint Paul or the ones planned for Harris Homestead or Fort McKavett later this year.
                  Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

It seems as though some would condemn the 150th cycle events. It is the 150th that finally tipped the scales in favor for CW reenacting, as far as I'm concerned. I have been "kicking tires" for several years and figured that if I were to start this "hobby" (I hate using that word for what we do.), now would be an appropriate time. It is a chance to reenact the events along the actual timeline. How much more authentic can you get? I won't go to another 1st Manassas over the next few years because it'll be "history", as goes the cycle. The best one can hope for is that everyone would strive for a level of authenticity that would do justice to those who have gone before us and not just get caught up in the idea of being there for the 150th.
                    Randall Moore Patterson
                    Born and raised in Groves, Texas
                    Co. H, 1st Texas Infantry
                    "The Texas Guards"
                    "J.H. Moore" Recruited at Kickapoo Mar 20 1862. Promoted Cpl. Paroled Appomattox.

Comment

Hallo!

The thing about what used to be called anniversay magic number "Mega Turbo National Farbfests" is the siren song of seduction.

Yes, the publicity, news coverage, and general "shot-in-the-arm" buzz for the Hobby cannot be denied.

Nor can one deny the magic of seeming to be part of a 5,000-7,000-10,000 or so man "army" on the field as once one gets outside of "visual range" of white canvas tent cities- impressions and kit at hundreds or thousands of yards are so much able to Suspend Disbelief than at a few feet.

IMHO, it, they, are there own knd of "magic."

I don't profess or confess to know why there is magic in numbers- just that there is. I do not recall anything "really special" now, for the 125ths, the 130ths, the 135ths, the 140ths, or the 145ths, other than the 125ths created a hobby, and the rest is "momentum" in cyclical rythms of growth and decline.

Too early to watch for what magic the Centennial of WWI might will create, or not...

:)

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by J.H. Moore View Post
                        It is a chance to reenact the events along the actual timeline. How much more authentic can you get?
                        Maybe by doing it along the 1861-1865 timeline?

Not sure I see the connection between the 150th anniversary and authenticity, unless maybe you're portraying the same person at the same places he was in real time over the four-year span of the war, which I don't think is possible, given the different regiments chosen to be portrayed at the different battles.

But if you're new to the hobby, you probably haven't realized the differences between big mainstream events, which are planned to discourage authenticity, and cutting edge events that are set up to encourage it. Not everyone even at cutting edge events takes advantage of it, but at least the goal is there to provide the opportunity, and that makes all the difference.

I expect you'll start to see it, though, when all the excitement of the newness wears off.

For example, if you're portraying a Union soldier at Manassas, the event will expect you to camp close to the field after the battle is over, even though you and they know it's historically inaccurate, and even if you'd prefer to do something more accurate. A cutting edge event, for example, would encourage accuracy by doing its best to arrange for at least some kind of historically plausible march route for the participants afterwards, if that's what actually happened.

Hank Trent
                        (not interesting in spending the weekend frustrated, portraying medical staff sitting by a tent twiddling my thumbs, when I know there are wounded men desperately dragging themselves back to Washington who need help)
                        hanktrent@gmail.com
                        Hank Trent

Comment

Point taken, sir and the information is greatly appreciated. For me, the correct timeline gives one a better grasp for the actual length of the war. It helps to bring some gravity, not that it lacks any! For instance, until recently, I had no idea what it was to live during an extended time of war. There are some kids out there now, that don't truly know what "peacetime" is.
                          Randall Moore Patterson
                          Born and raised in Groves, Texas
                          Co. H, 1st Texas Infantry
                          "The Texas Guards"
                          "J.H. Moore" Recruited at Kickapoo Mar 20 1862. Promoted Cpl. Paroled Appomattox.

Comment

Working...
                          X