What is the Cutting Edge Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Cutting Edge Today?

Some of my friends and I have been discussing "cutting edge" events. I'm seeking some outside opinions from the good readers here on the A-C.

What is a cutting edge event and what makes it cutting edge?

Which events have been cutting edge? Examples from the past and present would be welcome. The comparison might be enlightening. I'd even like to hear what future events could be touted as "cutting edge".

Phil Campbell
    Friend of Benji
    Phil Campbell

Re: What is the cutting edge today?

For very different reasons:

Payne's Farm
    Winter of '64 2006
    The two events in succession.

Vicksburg WIG LH 2007 (Rats. Why'd there have to be rats?)
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by TeamsterPhil View Post

What is a cutting edge event and what makes it cutting edge?
      Good question.

Perhaps an event which charts new territory, or at least presents a scenario or activities which are rare might qualify as 'Cutting Edge'.

In recent years, Banks Grand Retreat (BGR) has offered one of those rare opportunities to last almost 5 days, cover vast distances, have opposing forces, and be historically based.

While not covering distances, the re-Occupation of Fort Sumter, and the I-600 events have also presented rare scenarios, with specific activities within the event which I would perceive as 'Cutting Edge'. With 'Re-Occ' the opportunity to spend the first night on the Island opposite the Fort, then actually transit the water in row boats to enter the Fort, as was historically done, made that event very special. With I-600, the entire scenario and how it was presented made it special.

This year? It looks as though W64 will be another rare event, not only for the length of the vent (Wed thru Sub. just like BGR was) but also because of the weather challenge and the actual winter quarters we will be occupying.

In the coming years? For 2009, the 'Bummers' event and 'Into the Piney Woods' appear to be events which will offer either rare, or perhaps even new experiences.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Cutting edge to me is something that "is out there" or "hasn't been done".

I'm not aware of any events that fit this criteria. I suppose the extended event might fit this definition, but I would like to see a sizeable approach march to a site (preferably actual ground) and a historically correct battle reenactment.
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Vicksburg (NOT a WIG event Ley) was rare from my standpoint in the fact it had an opposition force represented as well as two different branches.

I would say BGR, Bummers, Rich Mountain, Fort Granger and the like all strike me as cutting edge for the time. Fort Donelson in 2006 was wild in the fact there were more people that showed up than actually sent in forms (these people had contacted either Justin Morris, Matt Woodburn or myself about this previous- there were no "walk ons") and can't mention Donelson without the mule feed story.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Phil,

For me cutting edge is not only a unique event but being able to do a new or unique impression. Running with actual teamsters and actual ration issue (including all forms), doing the regimental sutler correctly, being a traveling peddler with horse & wagon, complete working theatre and saloon (stage with lights, curtains, back drops, drinks dispensed from barrels), just a few of my most "cutting edge" things to relish in my feeble years to come (ramble about when in my rocker).

I am always looking for a new unique experience (don't know if rat will be one of them!).

Crabby
            Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
            John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

To me,the cutting edge was at Mills Spring.Having a chance to see a minstral show was a great piece of historical interpertation.And having the Malodians show up a week later at Perryville portraying snake oil salesmen was another awesome senerio.So I can agree with Crabby in a sense.It doesn't have to be an even to be cutting edge.Just something small can be different.
              Cullen
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

In my opinion, what makes an event "cutting edge" is an event that does something new. In the context of our hobby, that "something new" must be something that
                - brings us closer to the experiences common to "the old fellows"
                - brings a new interpretive approach to the spectator to deepen their understanding of the war, a particular battle, or the experience of the common soldier
                - Does either of the above two on the original ground.

Many of the events mentioned were cutting edge... 'cept now its already been done, so its not cutting edge anymore! ;)

Several years ago, CCG featured an article about Joe Bordanaro (sp?) and a couple of his pards retracing the route of approach of a Federal regiment to Gettysburg. One their own, they took turns walking or driving a vehicle to scout ahead for resting points, water, etc. I think Joe walked the whole route... a hundred miles or so! Talk about pushing the envelop!!!!

I'd love to be able to do that on a larger scale.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                  - brings a new interpretive approach to the spectator to deepen their understanding of the war, a particular battle, or the experience of the common soldier
                  - Does either of the above two on the original ground.
                  This. This. 1,000 times this. I guess in the trusty triad, my cutting edge is the "man."

There is now a massive body of literature on who the Civil War soldier was, why he fought, and -- most importantly -- what his opinions were on the issues of the day. The longer we ignore that literature in favor of discussion tactics and material culture (not that those things can't be fun and interesting) the longer the public will go unaware that the Civil War is actually important and relevant to their modern lives. My cutting edge ideal? Teaching current scholarship via living history. That is, interpreting the "common soldier" -- or at least one group of them -- within the context of 19th century history and politics. Teaching the public (and reenactors) things they'd not bother to learn on their own.

What would I like to see? A unit of men whose age, appearance, and behavior (in camp, with drill, etc.) match those characteristics of the unit being portrayed. (i.e. Are you doing a unit made of young, elite men? Well, hustle out the college boys and pull out the neckties. Early '62-enlisting dirt farmers? Give me grizzled 35 year olds with big bushy beards.) This same unit of reenactors having read deeply, mostly in secondary literature specific to the politics and culture of the men in that impression before, during, and (gasp!) after the war. Each soldier able to tell a spectator/visitor what this unit's background and experience can teach us about the mid-19th c. other than these uniforms are blasted hot. A unit of true living historians in every sense of the word, not simply those who bestow such a title on themselves.

Now, can it be done? I believe so. But it will take commitment and effort from everyone involved. Higher expectations of ourselves than we have ever had; higher standards, too, from top to bottom. But, then again, it ain't cutting edge if we don't have to work at it.
                  [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                  [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Can't really disagree with anything anyone has said above!

I'll just add, I also notice a distinction between events (the basic framework of site, research, activities, expectations, etc.) and what the participants do within the framework. It can make a huge difference. I've been to events where the framework offered is amazing in terms of research, accuracy, uniqueness, original or aesthetically good ground, and the participants spend their time snapping pictures, talking about the internet, getting "into" the historic situation as little as possible, and just blow off all the effort put in by the organizers. And then there are events where the framework is bare minimum, or not the best due to unavoidable practical reasons, and the participants make the most of it.

Also, from personal experience, I've seen cases of what I'd consider cutting-edge events that had very close to zero interest from potential participants, and aside from the usual hindrances of distance, scheduling, etc., the feeling I got was that the situation being offered was too intimidating and/or too unlike what participants wanted. So there's a fine line between offering an event in theory, and offering an event that will actually have participants, which I guess requires salesmanship, compromise, having one's finger on the pulse of the reenacting community, etc.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Hank Trent

Comment

Hallo!

Ah. "The Cutting Edge of the State of the Art," and the "State of the Art of the Cutting Edge." ;) :)

Looking back to those concepts say in 1976, 1986, 1996, and 2006, what an evolution they have been in some segments and how things remain the same the more they change in others.

Seriously...

According to personal and collective chosen Mental Pictures and Alphabet Letter segments of the F/M/C/P/H/A Paradigm, IMHO:

1. The Authenticity Triad or "Three Legged Stool Model" of material culture, mental and physical man, and Period experiences/activities.

2. The creating and sustaining of the elements of Beliveable Image and Suspending Disbelief BOTH from the perspective of recreating as it were a picture or photographic "snapshot" of what could be taken for, or pass as an actual Civil War image, and then

3. Putting that into motion, or "life" in terms of experiencing the same and as many "elements" of a soldier's life 24 hours a day as are doable or desireable (notes made to live ammunition casualties, illnesess, disease, suicides, drownings, murders, etc., and then

4. Finding and creating the physical environment or "laboratory" to test our research, assumptions, and knowledge in as free from 21st century "intrusions" as possible. And then

5. Organizing, staffing, and manning "events" with folks capable of creating and sustaining that vision in sufficient numbers to make them work in overcoming the problem that the "higher" one evolves" up the Hisotircla Pyramid the fewer lads there are at that level. (And it is had to alwyas get the "full historical" experience of being in an army of 20,000 men when there are but 200 lads representing both "Sides."

6. Striving to progress and evolve down the Path that leads to the illusion of Life in the Path that is always retreating away from us the closer we get to the Horizon where we think it is- by constantly Pushing the Envelope" to assume more and more elements of our researched and perceived daily "Life in the Past."

7. And striving for the "Time Machine Model" of being able to step out of time machine in the year say 1863, and not to be taken as different than the least of those around us.

Of course, others heresies, and mileage, will vary...

Curt

(And with the Full Caveat that few, choose such heresies, for themselves and pards...)
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Patrick,
                        Nice to see your "Thievin Fourth" pic there, well we are cutting edge for NPS programs, but like you said, be nice to expand it from more than a couple of folks. Also, even with tactics, be nice to see going to ground being used more than it is, also, other things from the accounts, like advance firing, etc, that arent in Hardees or Caseys, but were being used. Also seeing more things like stretcher bearers and guidons. More effort into correct accoutrements to fit the impression, not that there arent quality accoutrements being issued, but seeing a company with everyone wearing a different set, thats one area where there should be more uniformity than there is, and at the same time, using period accounts to decide upon the uniformity of clothing, need to look more into the records and accounts. But agree 100% about the scholarship, especially seeing first round, second round, and third round impressions* for Confeds.

Lee

*Rounds refer to the time period in which soldiers came into the army, and these are general, but First round(volunteers of the spring of 1861) tended to be young, unmarried, VERY motivated/patriotic men, Second Round(late summer of 61 thru spring of 1862) were still volunteers, but men that were either unable to get into a first round company due to numbers caps, slight disabilities, or were men that had'nt been so enthusiastic to go in due to family or politics. They go in now to protect their families since its apparent that the war isnt going to be over with in one battle and they dont want the Federal army knocking on the door of their farm, or they dont want the dishonor of being conscripted. The Third Round are mostly the Conscripts.(1862).

Lee
                        Lee White
                        Researcher and Historian
                        "Delenda Est Carthago"
                        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

For me it was camping in Fort Moutrie, SC for 3 days with the PLHA for 3 days prior to the Hunley crew funeral.

Re-opp of Fort Sumter - I have never been so cold in my life. Rowing from Morris
                          Island to Fort Sumter.

Battle of Corinth - Authentic camping, guard mount, the town tavern. We formed a company from our battalion to venture into the darkside.

Rich Mountain - I stayed dry with my trustworthy painted oil blanket.

Perryville a few years ago. Our Battalion only took flies and camped authentic. Doing Company, Battalion, and Brigade Drill

Mill Springs this past year. The show and being on the actual battlefield was fun.
                          Claude Sinclair
                          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Any event where I can say with some truth "It is as it was." (Plagarizing Pope JPII).

Multi-day events that extend beyond two (i.e. BGR & W'64 2008)
                            Robert Carter
                            69th NYSV, Co. A
                            justrobnj@gmail.com
                            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Pat and Lee,

I agree that the real "edge" of Living History is interpretive. But it seems that bridging the "scholarship gap" is awfully difficult. Perhaps some formal efforts to create an online discussion of the important social history might be in order? Maybe a weekend seminar in Chattanooga that focuses on bridging the gap between scholars and interpreters (I'm participating in a National Council on Public History working group that addresses this issue and would love to bring that discussion to interpreters in the field -- a class might just fit the bill)? My sense is the only way to push the interpretive edge is to overtly address the issues facing interpreters and think clearly about ways to implement the good interpretive ideas that are being kicked around.

As far as cutting edge "events" go, I'd say the real time movements at Chickamauga this last September really pushed things. Gave both visitors and participants a sense of scale -- both spatially and temporally.

Daryl
                              Daryl Black

Comment

Working...
                              X