Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the cutting edge today?

Steve,

I agree that there are many levels of interest/abilility involved in interpretation. What I think Lee, Pat and I were trying to point out is that engaging with ideas about interpretation we will gain deeper insight into whatever element of Civil War history we seek to explore and present (to ourselves and to many publics). Kurt's point about the two sides of the coin really drove home the point that the kinds of skills and the kinds of study necessary to interpret to the public also work to help individual living historians deepen their ability to pull off "interpreting to each other."

Although there are many variations on the interpretive theme (i. e. Civil War history broadly understood) there are essential knowledge sets that are common. For anyone wanting to think about the experience of Civil War soldiers being familiar with a wide body of well thought out scholarship on the social history of the period is essential. From that base one can build very specific impressions/interpretive programs. At Chickamauga the emphasis over the last few years has been creating a profile of various regiments based on the date of the regiments formation. Looking at the profiles that are being generated and then blending that with what we already know about why men fought we are able to explain in greater detail and with increasing nuance why men fought (our departure point has been James McPherson's work on the early volunteers -- what we became interested in is explaining why the later volunteers joined and how their backgrounds impacted the willingness of members of the group to persist or desert). But figuring out the starting point is the key. This means building the base from which you can move in new interpretive directions.
    Daryl Black

Comment

Hallo!

" The question of what we are interpreting needs to be asked before we lay "interpretation" out there as a grand goal."

In my heretical opinion, no, not always...

If our only tool is a hammer, we tend to seek to pound nails.

Meaning, what has traditionally driven the Civil War ("reenacting") Community has been the function of the anonymous generic soldier in the moment of combat (or a few minute "march" to get there).
      What has evolved over time, through developing concepts of Living History and/or the "Experimental Archeological" type elements of emulation, projection, or the "Time Warp," is the blending or melding of "1st Person Impression" AND "Persona."
      And that moved some folks from the anonymous, generic Billy or Johnny in combat to "impressions" of the physical and mental CW era man, in specific units for specific battles and Period non moment of combat activities putting effort into more than being just a dressed animated mannequin.

IMHO, as one (or a site) moves further to the right on the F/M/C/P/H/A Paradigm, the visible and measureable objectives that lead toward the goal start "nailing" (pun intended) more and more of what we call the "Authenticity Triad" or "Three Legged Stool"
      model of:

1. Material Culture
      2. Physical and Mental Man
      3. Recreations and emulation of Period activities

And what this does, is doing, is showing and portraying the Civil War soldier, or civilian as a complex, multi-faceted, interesting living-and-breathing entity with a personal history of family, up-bringing, education, occupation, religion, politics, Life's experiences, successes, failures, relationships, health, sickness, hopes, dreams, strengths, weaknesses, knowledge, talents, abilities, likes, dislikes, etc., within and without the social and cultural history of the CW Era.

And if at the "State of the Art," and the Cutting Edge," that is what some are "interpreting" and trying to interpret with their efforts to "Push the Envelope"
      beyond the dressed mannequin at the moment of pulling the trigger.

Of course, we all have our differing Mental Pictures, and different tools in our boxes, and others' mileage will also vary...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
        ...the "State of the Art," and the "Cutting Edge"...
        I'd like to throw in another thought here:

We often think of "cutting edge" only as doing those things that we have never or seldom seen done before. While this in itself is a good thing, as used in the context of this thread, I don't believe it covers all the territory it deserves.

I would suggest that "cutting edge" also includes doing those things we are already familiar with, at the most correct level we (personally and/or collectively) have attained to date (State of the Art), in both familiar and new combinations, layered upon each other at a given event, as we move along the time line of our hobby experience.

As a simplistic and poor illustration: We know how best to slice up a potato to throw it in the pot to cook. But we do not need to sharpen the knife (the cutting edge) every single time before we use it to slice. We also already know how to do the cutting with good ability, and don't need to find some other, new technique to cut up the potato; we've got that part down.

Similarly, "cutting edge" may also be no more than doing those things already being done, at the highest level at which we have learned to do them, even if nothing new has been added to the mix.

If one is doing a Patrol scenario, and is doing it in the most accurate way known to be doing it, but it's being done for the umpteenth time, that is still "cutting edge". It's just not a particularly new experience for a given individual or group.

Obviously, there is always going to be new information that comes to light that will allow each of us to add the "new" at some points along the time line. But that won't occur every single time we reenact. As alluded to previously, a given aspect can be "new, cutting edge" for some and "old, but still cutting edge" for others.
        Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
        Outpost III

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355 View Post
          I would suggest that "cutting edge" also includes doing those things we are already familiar with, at the most correct level we (personally and/or collectively) have attained to date (State of the Art), in both familiar and new combinations, layered upon each other at a given event, as we move along the time line of our hobby experience.
          That sums up my default definition, which is probably why I'd prefer an event offering the same old things at a higher accuracy level, than an event offering something unusual while keeping the accuracy level in everyone's comfort zone.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, two excellent points.

Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, IMHO, this is at time circular and always linear movement.
            Meaning, lads and lassies cycle in and out of the "Hobby" over time. Veterans with the experience of having "done something" often take that with them when they leave. Newcomers, reaching the same point in their new experience, reexpeience the same wheel if not reinventing it at times.

Plus, few, if any, like to hear... "Oh yeah. We did that in 1988."

But as previously well shared, I would tend to prefer to do the "old" 1988 things at 2008 level(s), than a "new" thing at 1988 levels. (For what is TRULY "new?" for some often is not for others?)
            IMHO, our ability to ramp up the so-called "authentiocity level" in getting closer to my personal Mental Picture of the Time Machine Model is of greater interest to me these Daze.
            But, as the Newcomer enters the machine, and encounters what is "new" for him, the wonder, excitement, and satisfaction is born again.

But what oftens happens is that the "new" does not trip the trigger as once did for lads, and the Sirens' Song of say the War of 1812, or WWI, or WWII beckons and seduces us to the rocks... ;) :)

Curt
            Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful replies on my interp post. Perhaps the idea of interpreting to (for) each other may be the way to get to what Bernie, Hank, and Curt see as the cutting edge.

Following that train of thought, it may be that any event can be "cutting edge." For example, there is currently no surplus of horse-drawn or steam- or sail-driven transportation to insert into events. But learning about and being able to interpret transportation in a way that can make it real to the mind's eye of your comrades, and thus a learning experience they can use as a foundation for learning... well, maybe that's what is often missing.

Or, as Curt notes:
              But what oftens happens is that the "new" does not trip the trigger as once did for lads, and the Sirens' Song of say the War of 1812, or WWI, or WWII beckons and seduces us to the rocks...
              Some folks just can't get by without an actual physical thing to shore them up. They miss out on the forest for the trees.
              [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Interpreting without an interpretive plan (even one that's just in my/your head) is just a dog & pony show.
                Phil Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by TeamsterPhil View Post
                  Interpreting without an interpretive plan (even one that's just in my/your head) is just a dog & pony show.
                  Might you expand upon that statement for us?
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

Phil, have you made your quarterly post, yet?

An excellent place to start the journey
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I guess things are a little differant for me sometimes. Fighting on the actual battlefield where my ancestor fought and actually fighting in a unit carrying the flag he fought under at that event. That is cutting edge for me, a frame of mind kind of thing. Of course I think that is what we are all after, Honor and homeage to them.
                      Les Williamson
                      "Eastern 5th KY."
                      [URL="http://www.5thkentuckyinfantry.org/"]www.5thkentuckyinfantry.org/[/URL]

Comment

Hallo!

"Fighting on the actual battlefield where my ancestor fought and actually fighting in a unit carrying the flag he fought under at that event."

Just an aside...
                        While I appreciate the sentiment, wouldn't that be better written as:

Being on the actual battlefield where my ancestor fought and being in a recreated unit carrying the flag he fought under at that event?

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

"IMHO, our abilit"y to ramp up the so-called "authentiocity level" in getting closer to my personal Mental Picture of the Time Machine Model is of greater interest to me these Daze."

A cutting edge event for me would be attending an "invitation only" event with an "All Star" cast of living historians. (Hardcore, Hardcore, Hardcore). No second rate impressions allowed, and everyone should look as real as possible. I have no problem with newbie authentics showing up, as long as their kit is first rate, they know the drill for the impression, and look like soldiers. Officers and NCO's should be very knowledgeable at their tasks, and excellent at what they do. First person should also be presented as good as possible, for the impression we are doing.

For me, nothing beats a hardcore company full of experienced authentics.

This, my friends, is my seven cents!
                          Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-10-2008, 08:54 PM.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

The Cutting Edge...

Now this may upset a few folks...but just my opinion... Get out of the "Living History Mode"...I mean the static display scenario...BORING...It reminds me of the zoo. The events that we are applying ourselves toward..i.e. Outpost, Picketts Mill, events that need physical attention, much like in a manner that the real soldiers of the period lived...that is where it is at.

Comment

Dale,

We are starting find a few National Battlefields that will allow us to move about the park. We have been very successful with this at Chickamauga. At Shiloh next April we hope to move across several fields there. By following the actual routes of the unit we are representing, and demonstrating the types of tactics/actions that unit used on that particular field (and in some cases... in real time, matching the time and movements of that original unit) it really makes the 'Living History' far, far more appealing (and...cutting edge????).
                              Brian Hicks
                              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian,

I would not be surprised to see that trend continue as a relationship of trust is built between the NPS and those groups in the hobby that have demonstrated their seriousness about what they do and the respect they have for the battlefields they are on.

I recall back in the late 70's, Bob Serio and I drove down to Vicksburg to try to persuade them to let us do a living history at the park. It was unheard of back then. We stopped at a dingy old gas station in Vicksburg and used the bathroom to change into suits before we went to the park because we were really worrying about making a good impression.

Anyway, it was almost like being at an inquisition. There were a number of NPS people in the meeting and they were very suspicious and hesitant to let us do anything, but somehow we convinced them to let us have a go at it. It turned out well and accomplished some trust building.

The atmosphere and spirit of cooperation between the NPS and the authentic side of the hobby has certainly changed for the better.
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X