Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the cutting edge today?

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post
    "IMHO, our abilit"y to ramp up the so-called "authentiocity level" in getting closer to my personal Mental Picture of the Time Machine Model is of greater interest to me these Daze."

A cutting edge event for me would be attending an "invitation only" event with an "All Star" cast of living historians. (Hardcore, Hardcore, Hardcore). No second rate impressions allowed, and everyone should look as real as possible. I have no problem with newbie authentics showing up, as long as their kit is first rate, they know the drill for the impression, and look like soldiers. Officers and NCO's should be very knowledgeable at their tasks, and excellent at what they do. First person should also be presented as good as possible, for the impression we are doing.

For me, nothing beats a hardcore company full of experienced authentics.

This, my friends, is my seven cents!

The closest I've came to this was Paul Calloways adjunct at Perryville in 2001.
    Werent you there?

Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri Infantry
    Independent Volunteer Battalion
    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
      That was very good! We did the 105th OVI and the WIG did their 48th TN on the CS side. It was great to have 2 great efforts at the same event, one on each side.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Brother Hicks,

You are correct. "Living History On the Move"....it sounds better now!

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
          Brian,

I would not be surprised to see that trend continue as a relationship of trust is built between the NPS and those groups in the hobby that have demonstrated their seriousness about what they do and the respect they have for the battlefields they are on.

I recall back in the late 70's, Bob Serio and I drove down to Vicksburg to try to persuade them to let us do a living history at the park. It was unheard of back then. We stopped at a dingy old gas station in Vicksburg and used the bathroom to change into suits before we went to the park because we were really worrying about making a good impression.

Anyway, it was almost like being at an inquisition. There were a number of NPS people in the meeting and they were very suspicious and hesitant to let us do anything, but somehow we convinced them to let us have a go at it. It turned out well and accomplished some trust building.

The atmosphere and spirit of cooperation between the NPS and the authentic side of the hobby has certainly changed for the better.
          Grass roots relationships are still the order of the day with the NPS. One would hope that the good work we are doing from east to west will begin to have an effect above the individual parks. Years of mistrust of us and our motives and educational abilities are not easly push aside. Meanwhile, the best thing we can do is to continue to build trust between groups of us and the individual parks. Well done you guys!
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Banks' Grand Retreat (circ 1864) - March 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
              Werent you there?

Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              I was there doing the 48th Tennessee, with the WIG battalion......
              Perryville 2001 was a very neat experience for both authentic sides.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
              Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                That was very good! We did the 105th OVI and the WIG did their 48th TN on the CS side. It was great to have 2 great efforts at the same event, one on each side.
                A favorite memory of mine. That was a terrific weekend.
                Paul Calloway
                Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                Proud Member of the GHTI
                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Paul,

That was less than a month after 9/11... I remember standing in battalion formation on Sunday AM, looking up at the flag while Warnick broke period for just a moment to tell us our planes were hitting the gomers in Afghanistan.

At that moment I thought there was nothing more beautiful in this world than an American flag rippling in a breeze.

I haven't changed that opinion. In three weeks I leave for Afghanistan again (fifth time over there in five years.) Let's hope we wrap this thing up soon.

Paul, don't forget to look me up when you come to Dallas!

Mike Phineas
                  Arlington, TX

mphineas@sbcglobal.net
                  Mike Phineas
                  Arlington, TX
                  24th Missouri Infantry
                  Independent Volunteer Battalion
                  www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Well I guess that means your not going to PM now, right? Just kidding Mike, as always, be careful while serving. I hope it isn't a long stay.
                    Ken Cornett
                    MESS NO.1
                    Founding Member
                    OHIO
                    Mason Lodge #678, PM
                    Need Rules?

Comment

On that note...let me pose this: if your participating in an event that is more of a public event (paying spectators) and you add things to the camp scene like A tents, cast iron cookware etc. but only period correct items, is that wrong or "farby" because its not campaigner? The public wants a show. I am not at all saying that Igloo coolers covered by a blanket and cans of Budweiser are acceptable, only period correct items that may have been found in a more static camp. As long as your true to the period and in the course of interaction, whether first person or not, you get across the point that "not every soldier carried all of this" I think it can be beneficial. For the most part I think the public likes the show and if that gets them interested enough to listen to what you have to say then mission accomplished. Besides, as living historians many of us have the habit of collecting old rusty antiques that we love to display. This is obviously only plausible in a fairly accessible camp site and for more of a garrison type setting, but I don't think that makes it any less of an event.
                      My best Regards,
                      Kevin Schoepfel
                      140th NYVI

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                        On that note...let me pose this: if your participating in an event that is more of a public event (paying spectators) and you add things to the camp scene like A tents, cast iron cookware etc. but only period correct items, is that wrong or "farby" because its not campaigner?
                        If it appropriate for the historic scenario the vent is representing..,. then it is not inappropriate. But keep in mind. The individual Soldier, nor a small mess of soldiers would have access to iron cookware. Those items would have been used at the regimental or Brigade level or above kitchens.

The public wants a show. I am not at all saying that Igloo coolers covered by a blanket and cans of Budweiser are acceptable, only period correct items that may have been found in a more static camp. As long as your true to the period and in the course of interaction, whether first person or not, you get across the point that "not every soldier carried all of this" I think it can be beneficial. For the most part I think the public likes the show and if that gets them interested enough to listen to what you have to say then mission accomplished. Besides, as living historians many of us have the habit of collecting old rusty antiques that we love to display. This is obviously only plausible in a fairly accessible camp site and for more of a garrison type setting, but I don't think that makes it any less of an event.
                        We have enjoyed numerous Garrison events open to the public, in which historical accuracy was rather well maintained. I-600, Fort Granger, Fort MCallister, Shiloh last year, etc. All were Living History Events at which the public came through the event. All were Garrison and well attended by participants. There were established Commissary kitchens, and tentage (or actual Barracks).

Granted... these living histories were not a part of the big 'Pay to watch' battle reenactments. And I don't see how you can accurately have a good quality representation as you described above, at such an event, without the detractors also being there in far greater numbers (detractors?... I mean the things such as the Ice Cooler under the canvas, the iron grates over the fire pits, the folding wooden chairs, and tent flies in front of most of the tents, etc.).
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Allow me to provide an example of what history dictates for a public event. It is a "big Pay-to-Watch event.""

This upcoming June there will be an event adjacent to GNMP called "At High Tide." There will be various scenarios based on the Battle of Gettysburg. On the Union side; eastern reeenactors will be representing eastern Federals, western reenactors (with a few friends from the east) will be representing western regiments in the Army of the Potomac. My command, the Western Brigade, will be westerners.

Over the course of this event, our battalion will be representing different units: the 2nd Wisconsin of the Iron Brigade in one scenario; the 14th Indiana of the Gibraltor Brigade in another, and the First Minnesota in yet a third.

What will the public be seeing if they enter our camp?

ALL of these regiments are well documented. When they were on the battlefield at Gettysburg, they were travelling lean-and-mean. No wagons, no heavy canvas - only what they could tote on their backs. Rations were issued to each of these commands in extreme northern Maryland, and they didn't get anything else during, or AFTER, the batttle - There was no time for foraging: there was a battle to be fought and won. The Confederate troops that faced these units hadn't time for foraging, either.

So our impression at AHT will be just as their's was: our unit will issue proper rations, so when the public visits our camp - such-as-it-will-be, they will see troops eating salt pork, hard tack and drinking coffee in the heat of a summer's sun. The camp will be just what it would have been in July of 1863: maybe dog-tents, if the men are so inclined, or rows of exhausted men simply flopped on the ground. Cooking gear will be limited to what men could carry: muckets and an occasional frying pan.

Will this provide the visitors with a great experience, I surely hope so! They will be looking at exactly what the Army of the Potomac looked like in mid-1863 - nothing more (like camping gear that was more than 20 miles from the battlefield) and nothing less.

That's what history dictates at this event.

And that should be what enactors dedicate their impressions upon.

Jim Moffet
                          Western Brigade
                          Last edited by Jim Moffet; 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM. Reason: next day spell check!

Comment

I agree with everything you mentioned. In my above post, I was not clear on one thing: the event I had in mind specifically is a civil war event at a local living history museum in western New York. It is not based on an actual battle and it is not well documented as the portrayal of AHT is. This is strictly a "make believe" event. I would never contemplate such things at a historically accurate and documented event. And I must say that I never thought about the amount of "detractors" that Mr. Hicks mentioned. Your right though, open the door to a few historical inaccuracies and next thing you know theres guys in blue levi's and workboots carrying cap guns.
                            The lesson I learned is that the more authentic I am, the more it forces the streamers to hone their "impression".
                            Well said gentlemen.
                            My best Regards,
                            Kevin Schoepfel
                            140th NYVI

Comment

oh and one other thing: I just got the week of AHT approved for one of my vacations this summer by the boss and can't wait to immerse myself in July 1863.
                              My best Regards,
                              Kevin Schoepfel
                              140th NYVI

Comment

Originally posted by kevin View Post
                                In my above post, I was not clear on one thing: the event I had in mind specifically is a civil war event at a local living history museum in western New York.
                                Kevin,

Would that event be a certain "skirmish & encampment" at Amherst Museum by any chance? :wink_smil

Even if not, take a few minutes to listen to what Mike Ryan, Pete Smith, and Tim Bills have to say about a certain event they recently attended not too far from your home in Rochester If you attend the COI the weekend of April 18-20 in Newfane, it will be like deja vu for some of them.

It may be a V8 moment, too.
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                                X