Ergonomic Problems for Tailors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ergonomic Problems for Tailors

Written by Bernardino Ramazzini in 1713 in his work De Morbis Artificum Diatriba (Diseases of Workers)

Those who sit at their work and are therefore called "chair-workers," such as cobblers and tailors become bent, hump-backed, and hold their heads down like people looking for something on the ground; this is the effect of their sedentary life and the bent posture of the body as they sit and apply themselves all day to their tasks in the shops where they sew. Since to do their work they are forced to stoop, the outermost vertebral ligaments are kept pulled apart and contract a callosity, so that it becomes impossible for them to return to the natural position. These workers, then, suffer from general ill-health caused by their sedentary life. But it is not so true of many other sedentary workers, potters and weavers, for example, who exercise the arms and feet and in fact the whole body; this keeps them in better health because the impurities in the blood are more easily dispersed by such movements. All sedentary workers suffer from lumbago. They should be advised to take physical exercise, at any rate on holidays. Let them make the best use they can of some one day, and so to some extent counteract the harm done by many days of sedentary life.

[COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Ergonomic Problems for Tailors

Nothing makes me feel old, except when its time to cut out a garment. Just thinking about it makes my back hurt.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Re: Ergonomic Problems for Tailors

Somewhere there is a picture of myself in my work station, which is a large, old, leather recliner. Thanks to an auto-related accident when I was young, I have bad problems with my legs and hips, and sitting cross-legged in the traditional "tailor's stance" becomes excruciatingly painful for me after about thirty seconds. Nevertheless, I still find that I can only sit for about two hours straight before I need a five minute break.

The one saving grace for me in this business is my treadle machine, without which I would get NO exercise in my day to day work. Though I now have "calves of steel" the relatively sedentary nature of this business, coupled with a wife that can cook very well has added enough pounds to necessitate the selling of a lot of uniforms I made for myself over the years!

Oh well, to borrow a line from Ben Folds "I could be busing tables, I could be pumping gas, but get paid much better for sewing sack coats and kissing, well, butt." ;)

Best,

Dan
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Working...
      X