Dead hobby?? Try buying some used gear;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead hobby?? Try buying some used gear;

Anyone that states that the campaigner movement is on the ropes or on a down turn, hasn't tried to buy used gear on the "Sell" thread lately,. Used to be stuff would sit for awhile a day or two, but now the gear goes fast, like hot cakes, talking hours or minutes. Even some of the new stuff with the vendors, is constantly out of stock.

So what does this mean? You need quality gear for good events. Some of it might be used at Tier 3 events, but that hasn't been the case in the past, even used gear tends to be treated as "pricey" by some segments of the hobby . If "traditional" reenactors really are seeking out better gear , then that is a good sign as well. I feel that the campaigner movement is gearing up.

Just like economists who look at the unemployment rate and G.D.P. our registration lists and gear sales are good indicators. Even witht he loss of quality vendors, however; I do realize that with fewer vendors, there is still a demand for quality gear and it has to be bought somewhere, used or new. it would seem that demand is brisk.
    Invest in jean wool and osanburg.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Dead hobby?? Try buying some used gear;

I'll agree on that for the most part, but I'll object by saying more mainstream units are recommending authentic gear, but still attending mainstream events. Maybe keyboard campaigner and hardkewl would apply better. I'll admit I had been purchasing quality gear for 3-4 years before I even attended a decent event, but my kit was top notch.

I would judge the authentic hobby at the numbers that are getting to events such as Rich Mountain and larger scale EBUFU events.

I wonder if Chawls will post his list again for analysis.

But you could be completely right and people are ready to reenact in numbers again and are stimulating the economy with refund checks. I'll have to pay attention if Dan Wambaugh shows up in a new Benz... :wink_smil
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

It may be more due to the fact that some of our most prolific vendors have had to leave the biz and cut back, creating a scarcity (or at least perceived scarcity) of the good stuff. Additionally, the current economic reality for some folks is that they are going to jump on excellent used gear for a great price, rather than new gear for fair but certainly higher prices.

A a lot of gear (more than usual?) suddenly jumped on the market a few weeks ago and some smart folks snapped it up.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I think that you have to look at this "sellers market" from two different perspectives. Yes, authentic gear is being sold in greater numbers than what you are accustomed to seeing but the sellers are not limited to guys "cleaning out the closet". Some of these sellers are getting out of the hobby, which is evident in the vast selling list comprising what would appear to be entire kits posted by some recent sellers.

It would be interesting to get some feedback from vendors regarding their sales figures. It could be that what were seeing is a shift in the market and not an increase.
        David Parent

The Cracker Mess
        MLK Mess
        Black Hat Boys
        WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Originally posted by Mcguire View Post
          I think that you have to look at this "sellers market" from two different perspectives. Yes, authentic gear is being sold in greater numbers than what you are accustomed to seeing but the sellers are not limited to guys "cleaning out the closet". Some of these sellers are getting out of the hobby, which is evident in the vast selling list comprising what would appear to be entire kits posted by some recent sellers.

It would be interesting to get some feedback from vendors regarding their sales figures. It could be that what were seeing is a shift in the market and not an increase.
          Excellent points David!
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Comrades,

I would also note that the 3 areas where these sales seem to spike coincide with:

1.) The end of the campaign season.

2.) The start of the Christmas season

3.) Tax time.

I would put my money on economic needs of one sort or another being the driving factor.
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
            X