eBay item...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay item...

Could some please explain THIS eBay item to me and how it relates to Civil War reenacting?

Maybe I'm just out of the loop regarding new trends in the hobby.

Re: eBay item...

Bryan,
    I find it difficult to believe that someone would put this in a catagory of CW reenacting, but it seems someone has decided to make it so. I guess there are no limits for those who need to be connected to any form of media on a 24/7 basis. God forbid, any of them use their imaginations to keep themselves occupied in any other aspect of their lives. A sad state of affairs.

Randy Pesut
    2D CONN H.A
    11TH CVI

Comment

I think it's more likely that they tacked the "Civil War" tag to it in an effort to receive higher traffic volume to their sale.
      William Lee Vanderburg
      26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
      Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

The person is probably thinking of relic hunting. That's the only use I can think of even related to the war.
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

William is absolutely on target.Ebay encourages the use of "buzz words' to enable listings in certain catagories.This guy just took that concept to the extreme.
          Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Ha, ha...a sad state of affairs, indeed.

I never once thought of catching the latest news reports while sleeping under the stars.

Hmm...maybe it's time.

Sigh.

Comment

Hallo!

I guess, aside from marketing, that while there is such a thing as a "left-handed compliment" there can also be a "right-handed insult."

On the other hand... it IS EBAY!
              ;) :)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Why, its for Lee's super secret signal corps that operated behind Union lines and radioed troop movements to Lee. Since the secret signal corps was composed all black confederates with black officers, there's no record of them at all.
                GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

I was a spectator at a local Civil War living history many years ago. A soldier had an A tent set up with a table out front with typical stuff laid out for tourists to see, including a tape player (shows how long ago this was) playing some Civil War era music.

I actually asked him why he had a tape player among his hardtack and stuff, and he said that he felt that the music added to the period atmosphere.

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net
                  Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
                    I actually asked him why he had a tape player among his hardtack and stuff, and he said that he felt that the music added to the period atmosphere.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Hank,
                    I'm surprised you didn't catch that one right off- I mean with your expertise and all....;)
                    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                    WIG/GVB
                    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

these would be great for any reenactor in the privacy of their tent, shhh we won't tell, you need to catch that game or race on the radio.
                      He's talking about a different hobby altogether.
                      [B]Joseph Hodges[/B]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]“… and know that it was in California we learned the art of making long journeys with safety, to endure privations with cheerfulness, and to thrive under the most adverse circumstances, and these have enabled us to make strides in war which may seem gigantic to the uninitiated.”[/FONT]
                      [SIZE=1](excerpt from a letter from Gen. W. T. Sherman to Governor Frederick Low of California, dated Goldsborough, N.C. March 24, 1865)[/SIZE]

Comment

Here is the response from the seller to my query about how he came up with the Civil War connection:

We are Civil War Reenactors and know how it feels to be out of touch when at a reenactment. Thanks for looking.

I don't know whether to keep laughing or to start crying
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                          Here is the response from the seller to my query about how he came up with the Civil War connection:

We are Civil War Reenactors and know how it feels to be out of touch when at a reenactment. Thanks for looking.

I don't know whether to keep laughing or to start crying
                          Interesting response. So silly it's sublime. It sums up so well both our similarities and our differences.

[font=deep philosophic thought]

They know how it feels to be out of touch without modern communication devices at a reenactment. So do we. However, we enjoy experiencing the difference for a weekend, while they apparently hate it.

But wait...

I know how it feels to realize that due to 1860s technology, most of what happens can't be captured on film. So do progressives and campaigners. I enjoy experiencing the difference for a weekend. They... designate event photographers.

What's the difference?

[/font=deep philosophic though]

Hank Trent
                          hanktrent@voyager.net
                          Hank Trent

Comment

I know how it feels to realize that due to 1860s technology, most of what happens can't be captured on film. So do progressives and campaigners. I enjoy experiencing the difference for a weekend. hanktrent@voyager.net[/QUOTE]

You'll like this one. We had a fellowship Sunday at church and of course with a wife and two daughters I'm running late:wink_smil.

I enter and the Pastor stops and says in front of the whole church body, "Hey Mark, what is the most unusual and interesting thing you've ever done?".

I smiled and said, "I've slept on the ground, in the rain, and paid to do it". Which of course got a great laugh from all...

Mark Berrier
                            North State Rifles
                            Mark Berrier

Comment

Working...
                            X