Is there CWR Wargaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there CWR Wargaming?

I 've been in tactical battles, but are there CWR Wargames? I read a book on Wargaming and theirs wargaming for alot of Wars.

History Geek
    Evan Hunsberger
    I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Re: Is there CWR Wargaming?

Yeah I do ACW miniature wargaming in 28mm scale - Brother Against Brother rules. It's a lot of fun.
    Regards,
    Scott Dallimore
    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
    -------------------------------------

Comment

Hi,
      I've tried wargaming in the past and have (occasionally) been looking out for an ACW game that I could be impressed with. I understand from some reviews that HPS may be a reputable company and that their Gettysburg game is supposed to be good:-

http://www.hpssims.com/ - Main site

Interested if anyone can verify this or recommend any accurate games (historically accurate units, plausible scenarios). I think that if a game is well researched and accurate it may be able to help with your history (no substitute for reading though) - i.e why a commander may have taken the decisions he did. Could you do better than Johnston before Atlanta etc?

Best regards,
      Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

There are conventions across the country where war gamers gather to roll dice and kill each other over and over again. Usually there are several Civil War games going on at these conventions using a variety of rules. I myself game with 15MM figures and use my own rules compiled from some good Ideas I gathered from other war games, personal expericence reenacting, research, etc...

Try this website out: http://www.hmgs.org/
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

Originally posted by HistoryGeek View Post
          I 've been in tactical battles, but are there CWR Wargames? I read a book on Wargaming and theirs wargaming for alot of Wars.
          Are you speaking of board games, or miniatures, or guys going out somewhere and "fighting" a battle under controlled conditions with umpires?
          Bernard Biederman
          30th OVI
          Co. B
          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
          Outpost III

Comment

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Minatures, Table Top, board, computer, Card games, etc. etc. etc.

Land or sea.

From the simple to the extreme complex. From the expensive to the cheap.

Command a company or an army or either side.

What's your pleasure sir so we can give you some direction?
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

My brother and I had the game pictured in Rob's post growing up. He used the figures to make a diorama of the siege of Vicksburg for a middle school project. Specifically, he had a model of Ft. Garrott.

Avalon Hill made dozens of these type things back in the day; I think most table top games with punch out counters bit the dust with the arrival of computer games. Hobby shops sometimes have used games you can pick up cheap.
                John Christiansen
                SGLHA
                PLHA

Comment

If there were a consistent series of actual wargame events (real people with umpires) I might still be in the hobby. I attended four such events in the Eastern Theater over my years in the hobby. The two that I remember with fondness were held at Mt. Alto, PA. I cannot remember who hosted these events, but the setting was pristine countryside (including the base of a mountain), and there were umpires involved. If memory serves the umpires were from a local National Guard unit and this served as training for them as well. They had two-way radios to communicate with each other, there was infantry, cavalry, and artillery involved.

We were given fixed locations to capture and hold. Casualties were determined by the umpires based on the tactics used and the form of attack employed. Extra points could be garnered by capturing, rather than killing, the enemy. It served as a true test of leadership and knowledge of tactics for the officers involved. I thoroughly enjoyed them both. They were physically challenging, immersion events that allowed the officers and enlisted men to exercise their knowledge of the period on a larger than usual scale. There should be more of these types of events.
                  Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Comment

The best Civil War computer game I have played is Take Command: 2nd Manasas. It is a real time strategy game that allows you to play as any General from the battle. The developers also release new battles and mods to make the game more realistic on a fairly regular basis. Heres a link. www.madminutegames.com

Enjoy,
                    Rob Fischer
                    1st TX Co. B
                    Goldpan Mess
                    Veteran of BGR

Stand of Colors
                    Picket's Mill
                    At High Tide

Comment

It's an old game and I've had my copy for years, but Sid Meier's Gettysburg was a nice PC based game. There was a website called The Angle, still around I think, where you could get extra file sets for it.

If you set it to max difficulty vs Robert E. Lee while commanding the Federals, the Confederates actually overrun Cemetery Ridge. Or at least I never could stop them...

Art work is not as good as games today, but passable. I wonder if someone won't release something decent as the 150th anniversary dates approach.
                      James Rice
                      Co. H, 2nd Florida
                      [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Comment

Have you tried Ageod's American Civil War?
                        It's really good, in my opinion, you'll need a decent computer, not for graphics but to run the intelligence because their are so many things calculated in it. and it's historically accurate.
                        You play of the two presidents then raise troops, work out maintenance, fight campaigns, organize the armies and so forth...
                        Dylan Flynn
                        French :Imperial grenadier
                        English :3rd East Kent Buffs 7th Company sapper
                        1812-1815

Comment

Originally posted by charliegeorge View Post
                          Have you tried Ageod's American Civil War?
                          It's really good, in my opinion, you'll need a decent computer, not for graphics but to run the intelligence because their are so many things calculated in it. and it's historically accurate.
                          You play of the two presidents then raise troops, work out maintenance, fight campaigns, organize the armies and so forth...
                          I have Ageod's and I liked the detail it has, but it has absolutely NO battle maps or regiment/battalion/company/platoon-level combat... it's sooo dry without it, I feel. All you get is 'you lost the battle' or 'you won the battle' kind of pop-ups... I guess I got spoiled playing Rome: Total War and Medieval II: Total War... oh well...

Thanks- Johnny
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob 125th NYSVI View Post
                            Minatures, Table Top, board, computer, Card games, etc. etc. etc.

Land or sea.

From the simple to the extreme complex. From the expensive to the cheap.

Command a company or an army or either side.

What's your pleasure sir so we can give you some direction?
                            I am most interested in land battles that are table top, board, computer, and minatures. Price range doesn't really matter. Company to Army. That is what I'm looking for.

HistoryGeek
                            Evan Hunsberger
                            I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Comment

One of my favorite civil war board games is Battlecry by Avalon Hills. Its pretty easy to learn,you can play different battles and it comes with miniatures. The only problem is finding a copy of the game. I think on ebay you can get a copy from $50-$80. Heres some links to check out.

John Weiland

Comment

Working...
                              X