Storing wool clothes between events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing wool clothes between events

I have been searching diligently, and cannot seem to find this info anywhere:

How do you store your wool clothing between events?

My mother pointed out to me that being all wool, moths will love to eat holes and such into it. To prevent this, she has used mothballs and these big garbage bags with scented bags in them made for that.

However, I think arriving at an authentic event smelling like a mothball would be frowned upon. Same with smelling like a glade air freshner. So what do you-all do?

My first inclination is to fold and place the wool items in a plastic garbage bag with a couple hunks of cedar to discourage the moths, because cedar is not as potent or modern smelling as mothballs and sachet packs.

So what do you all do with your woollens between events?

Thanks
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Re: Storing wool clothes between events

After airing out my uniform, I just hang it in the closet or throw it on the closet shelf. I have never had a moth problem and been doing it this way since 1981. If you see moths in your house it may be best to put the items in a cedar chest or bag it like you said. Also if you hang your trousers on a hanger you will show up at the event with creases in your trouser legs. That can be more serious than a few moth holes depending on how many of your mates notice the creases.
    Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I don't know if this relay relevant to the discussion or not. Last year I unrolled a bedroll of mine that had been rolled up tight for about 5 years. When I unrolled it my blanket was thread bare where ever there was a fold in the blanket. I asked my mother about this and she said it was Do to stress on the yarns. It was a wool blanket.
      About the uniforms. I have all of my jackets,coats and drawers hung on hangers in my garage. My trousers are loosely folded and sitting on a shelf in the garage. I have never had a problem storing them in this manner.
      If your garage is damp or musty I would not recommend this method. As the material can mold or absorb any odors.
      Russell L. Stanley
      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
      Co.A 45th Mississippi
      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Hallo!

I hang them on clothes hangers on a basement rack near a light that is on, 24/7 (moths like secretive dark places.)
        It has worked well for me for decades...

Curt

(My worst and only moth problem was when I bought a greatcoat from a well known vendor that had been infested with moth eggs. I made the mistake of bring it home and storing it in a dark windowless basement room in the same closed paper bag it came in. A few months later, when I went to use it, I opened the bag and the clothes moths scurried and flittered from the light.
        The larvae had eaten about 60-70% of the bottom four inches of the coat, and several long runs on each sleeve near the shoulders.)
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I store everything in sealable plastic tubs......

I have 3 plastic tubs that I use for all of my wool/clothing and equipment.

1st tub: Wool blankets, rubber blankets, oil cloths, tents and other miscellaneous items.

2nd tub: All equipment and shoes.

3rd tub: Uniforms

You can usually find these tubs at places like Target, Wallmart, or hardware stores. I guess the only problem is depending on tub size, they take up a lot of room. I've got all three stacked up in closet, and they take up most of that space. The good news is, moths or any other creatures cannot get into the tubs.

Good luck.
          Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post
            The good news is, moths or any other creatures cannot get into the tubs.
            That's assuming that the clothes/items aren't already contaminated and that your tubs basically act as a vacuum/positive pressure.

I've known people to use the plastic/rubber tubs and still have moth problems over the years...this might be due to human error on their part, but who knows....
            Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM. Reason: negative-->positive
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
              That's assuming that the clothes/items aren't already contaminated and that your tubs basically act as a vacuum/positive pressure.

I've known people to use the plastic/rubber tubs and still have moth problems over the years...this might be due to human error on their part, but who knows....
              Very true..... I like to think, once I close the tubs nothing else can get in, but I guess you never know what can happen.

I have a friend who stored his uniforms in a lockable wooden chest, and when he went to open it one day, he found a dead mouse that's been eating at his sack coat.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
              Cincinnati

Comment

Moths don't like cedar. A cheep but effective method is to go to the pet store and buy cedar shavings and put them in a small net/mesh laundry bag. Hang the bag in your closet next to your uniforms. Change the shavings once/twice a year.
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

I second the cedar idea, my wife bought me 2 large garment bags ( cotton bags)- ( in the MD area from the " Container Store"- mods please delete if needed) these are usually used for storing suits etc, they have hangers (which I hang from my basement ceiling) can be zipped shut, same store supplied approx 4" X 12" cedar strips which I drilled a hole in and hang in the garment bags along side my clothing. Total cost about 60 $.
                  LINK:

Thanks
                  Bob Brewer
                  Gaithersburg,MD
                  Robert Brewer

Comment

I second the garage/workshop idea. I and my son have stored ours out there for years and have had no problem. Of course being in western Michigan and high temps in the teens to 20's may have something to do with it. I store all clothing in color matched garment bags. Blankets and tents are stored in wooded boxes raised off of the floor.
                    Cris L. Westphal
                    1st. Mich. Vol.
                    2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
                    A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

If you do hang your trousers up,don't hang them up all perfect.Just take them off and throw them on the hanger.And when you do hang clothes up,remember to use either wooden hanger,wide shoulder hangers,or padded hangers.Regular plastic hangers are ok for shirts and such.But when it comes to coats,don't use those as it will give a crease in it.
                      Hope this is able to help you alittle.
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

After I get home, I air out the clothes for a day or two then they go in the closet on hangers in my den where I have moth repellant in a container and they stay there until the next event. I change the moth repellant about every six months. So far so good.
                        Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
                        20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
                        Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
                        Army of the Potomac

Comment

After a airing out on a nice sunny windy day, I have always stored my wool and shirts out in the garage. I have a nice double garage attached to the house and I have them hanging on hooks on a side wall. They can smell all they want to out there and I have never had a bug problem.
                          John Barr
                          2nd Delaware

Comment

I put my uniform and equipment on shelves. I don't fold them fancy I just throw thme on it.
                            Tyler McHone
                            Liberty Rifles

Comment

I have cedar closet linning board in my CW shop, where I store my attire. I treat the wall board twice yearly and I have not had problems up to this point. I use wooden hangers for my pants,and padded hangers for my coats, and jackets. Hats go on a shelf. Blankets are stored along with my tentage upstairs. Leather is placed in a dry area with plenty of circulation. I pretty much keep all of my hobby related items out in my shop with the exception of my weapons. They stay located in my home, placed in a weapons storage safe, under lock and key.
                              [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X