Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Manumission by Lincoln??

Richmond Dispatch March 8, 1865

At 12 o'clock, the following House bill, to increase the military forces of the Confederate States, being the special order, was taken up and considered:

"The Congress of the Confederate States of America do enact, That in order to provide additional forces to repel invasion, maintain the rightful possession of the Confederate States, secure their independence and preserve their institutions, the President be, and he is hereby, authorized to ask for and accept from the owners of slaves the services of such number of able-bodied negro men as he may deem expedient, for and during the war, to perform military service in whatever capacity he may direct.
    "Section 2. That the General-in-Chief be authorized to organize the said slaves into companies, battalions, regiments and brigades, under such rules and regulations as the Secretary of War may prescribe, and to be commanded by such officers as the President may appoint.
    "Section 3. That while employed in the service, the said troops shall receive the same rations, clothing and compensation as are allowed to other troops in the same branch of the service.
    "Section 4. That if, under the previous sections of this act, the President shall not be able to raise a sufficient number of troops to prosecute the war successfully and maintain the sovereignty of the States and the independence of the Confederate States, then he is hereby authorized to call on each State, whenever he thinks it expedient, for her quota of three hundred thousand troops, in addition to those subject to military service under existing laws, or so many thereof as the President may deem necessary to be raised from such classes of the population, irrespective of color, in each State, as the proper authorities thereof may determine.
    "Section 5. That nothing in this act shall be construed to authorize a change in the relation which the said slaves shall bear towards their owners, except by consent of the owners, and of the States in which they may reside, and in pursuance of the laws thereof."
    Mr. Hunter, of Virginia, stating that he should be obliged, by instructions of the Legislature of Virginia, to vote for the bill, spoke at length in opposition to it, both on the ground of the principle involved and expediency. It gave up the principle on which we went to war, and would add no strength to our armies.

Mr. Graham, of North Carolina, opposed the bill on the same grounds.

Mr. Semmes supported the bill as a military necessity. He believed it should be modified so as to conform to the instructions given by Virginia to her Senators.

Mr. Orr spoke in opposition to the bill, and Mr. Burnett advocated it. The Senate then resolved into executive session.

Comment

The negro soldier bill.

House bill to increase the military force of the Confederate States by putting negroes into the army was passed by the Senate yesterday by a majority of one, with an amendment limiting the percentage of negroes between eighteen and forty-five that shall be taken in each State.

Comment

Richmond Dispatch Feb 20, 1865

House of Representatives.

The House met at 11 o'clock. Prayer by the Rev. Mr. Shaver. ......

Mr. Sexton, of Texas, from the committee of conference on the disagreement of the two Houses on the bill for the employment of free negroes and slaves to work on fortifications and to perform other labor connected with the public defence, submitted a report upon the points of difference, recommending that the compensation to be paid the owners of slaves impressed be left subject to agreement between the Government and the owner, and amending the House bill so as to allow one out of less than five slaves to be impressed when not exclusively employed in agricultural or mechanical pursuits.

On motion of Mr. Snead, of Missouri, the House resolved into secret session on the negro soldier bill

Comment

From the Richmond Sentinel, 3/21/65

THE BATTALION from Camps Winder and Jackson, under the command of Dr. Chambliss, including the company of colored troops under Captain Grimes, will parade on the square on Wednesday evening, at 4½ o’clock. This is the first company of negro troops raised in Virginia. It was organized about a month since, by Dr. Chambliss, from the employees of the hospitals, and served on the lines during the recent Sheridan raid.

Comment

From the Richmond Enquirer, 3/23/1865

CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA

WAR DEPARTMENT,
            ADJ’T AND INSP’R GEN’LS OFFICE,
            Richmond, March 11, ‘65.

Sirs – You are hereby authorized to raise a company or companies of negro soldiers under the provisions of the act of Congress, approved March 13, 1865.

When the requisite number shall have been recruited, they will be mustered into the service for the war, and muster rolls forwarded to this office.

The companies, when organized, will be subject to the rules and regulations governing the Provisional army of the Confederate States.

By command of the Secretary of War.

(Signed) JOHN W. RIPLEY. A. A. G.
            To Major J. W. Pegram, Major T. P. Turner, through Gen. Ewell.

COLORED TROOPS.
            AN APPEAL TO THE PEOPLE OF VIRGINIA.

It will be seen by the order of the Secretary of War, published above, that the undersigned have been authorized to proceed at once with the organization of companies to be composed of persons of color, free and slave, who are willing to volunteer under the recent acts of Congress and Legislature of Virginia. It is well known to the country that General Lee has evinced the deepest interest in this subject and that he regards prompt action in this matter as vitally important to the country. In a letter addressed by him to Lieutenant General Ewell, dated March 10th, he says: “I hope it will be found practicable to raise a considerable force in Richmond.” * * * * “I attach great importance to the first experiment, and nothing should be left undone to make it successful. The sooner this can be accomplished the better!”

The undersigned have established a rendezvous on 21st, between Main and Cary Streets, at the building known as “Smith’s Factory,” and every arrangement has been made to secure the comfort of the recruits, and to prepare them for service. It is recommended that each recruit be furnished, when practicable, with a gray jacket and pants, cap and blanket and good serviceable pair of shoes, but no delay should take place in forwarding the recruits in order to obtain these articles.

The Governments, Confederate and State, having settled the policy of employing this element of strength, and this class of our population having given repeated evidence of their willingness to take up arms in defence of their homes, it is believed that it is only necessary to put the matter before them in a proper light to cause them to rally with enthusiasm for the preservation of the homes in which they have been born and raised, and in which they have found contentment and happiness, and to save themselves and their face from the barbarous cruelty invariably practiced upon them by a perfidious enemy claiming to be their friends.

Will not the people of Virginia, in this hour of peril and danger, promptly respond to the call of our loved General in Chief, and the demand of the Confederate and State Governments? Will those who have freely given their sons and brothers, their money and their property to the achievement of the liberties of their country now hold back from the cause their servants, who can well be spared, and who would gladly aid in bringing this fearful war to a speedy and glorious termination?

Let every man in the State consider himself a recruiting officer and enter at once upon the duty of aiding in the organization of this force by sending forward recruits to our rendezvous. Every consideration of patriotism, the independence of our country, the safety of our homes, the happiness of our families and the sanctity of our firesides all prompt to immediate and energetic action for the defence of the country. Let the people but be true to themselves and to the claims of duty and our independence will be speedily secured and peace be restored within our borders

J. W. PEGRAM
            Major, &c., P. A. C. S.,

THOS. P. TURNER
            Major, &c., P. A. C. S.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post

"Section 5. That nothing in this act shall be construed to authorize a change in the relation which the said slaves shall bear towards their owners, except by consent of the owners, and of the States in which they may reside, and in pursuance of the laws thereof."
              Mr. Hunter, of Virginia, stating that he should be obliged, by instructions of the Legislature of Virginia, to vote for the bill, spoke at length in opposition to it, both on the ground of the principle involved and expediency. It gave up the principle on which we went to war, and would add no strength to our armies.

Mr. Graham, of North Carolina, opposed the bill on the same grounds.

Mr. Semmes supported the bill as a military necessity. He believed it should be modified so as to conform to the instructions given by Virginia to her Senators.

Mr. Orr spoke in opposition to the bill, and Mr. Burnett advocated it. The Senate then resolved into executive session.[/I]
              Notice that the bill did not free the slaves that entered Confederate service. Infact it did not,"change... the relation which the said slaves shall bear towards their owners."
              Yours, etc.,
              Matt White
              http://www.libertyrifles.org/
              http://www.cwurmuseum.org/
              http://www.military-historians.org/

"One of the liveliest rows I had while in the service was with the quartermaster for filling a requisition that I made for shoes for my company, on the theory that no shoe was too large for a Negro, and he gave me all 10's and upwards. When I returned the shoes, informing him that my soldiers did not wear pontoons, he insisted that I should take them and issue them to my company anyway. Well, I didn't do it: consequently the row."
              -Robert Beecham 2nd Wisconsin/23rd USCT

Comment

Mr. Rideout,

Well it is only March 6 and I feel that I have already had my $20 worth! I really appreciate your posts in this thread .

"...persons of color, free and slave, who are willing to volunteer under the recent acts of Congress and Legislature of Virginia."

Very interesting - the colored troops had to volunteer .

I remain et cetera,
                Michael Shea

Comment

Mr Shea..my pleasure

From the Richmond Enquirer, 3/23/1865

THE CORPS D’AFRIQUE. – The appearance of the battalion of colored troops on the Square, yesterday afternoon, attracted thousands of our citizens to the spot, all eager to catch a glimpse of the sable soldiers. The bearing of the negroes elicited universal commendation. While on the Square, they went through the manual of arms in a manner which would have done credit to veteran soldiers, while the evolutions of the line were executed with promptness and precision. As an appropriate recognition of their promptness in forming the first battalion of colored troops in the Confederacy, we suggest to the ladies of Richmond the propriety of presenting the battalion with an appropriate banner.

"The more we think we know about
                  The greater the unknown"
                  .....a Canadian rythmic sage

Comment

Working...
                  X