Key West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key West

I'm embarking on a cruise at the end of April and one of the ports will be Key West. What is there to see, Civil War-wise?
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: Key West

Ft Taylor
    Mallory Square (Union Monument)

That's all folks

Comment

The Wrecker's Museum (the oldest house) is a really neat place, right on Duval St.

There's also the Fort East Martello.

And, if you have time, you'll want to head out to Dry Tortugas National Park.
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

You can also take a glass-bottom boat over the wrecks out there too, as my family has. You can see some of the wrecks on the bottom as you pass over them. Pretty neat.

Cheers -Johnny Lloyd
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
          The Wrecker's Museum (the oldest house) is a really neat place, right on Duval St.

There's also the Fort East Martello.

And, if you have time, you'll want to head out to Dry Tortugas National Park.
          Isn't Dry Tortugas where Dr. Mudd was "vacationing" courtesy of the US Government? I haven't studied up on him in a while so that definitely sounds like a must-see. Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations!!
          [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

A ferry runs from Key West to Fort Jefferson, but it is a bit on the pricey side!:tounge_sm

NPS web site
            Almost 70 miles (113 km) west of Key West lies the remote Dry Tortugas National Park. This 100-square mile park is mostly open water with seven small islands.  Accessible only by boat or seaplane, the park is known the world over as the home of magnificent Fort Jefferson, picturesque blue waters, superlative coral reefs and marine life, and the vast assortment of bird life that frequents the area.
            R. Derrick Robinson

Comment

Ft Jefferson is 8 hours is boat time anyway you look at.....longer if the seas are up..... not including your visit time.

I was there 3 weeks ago and is was $160 for the trip to the Fort.

Comment

Make sure to visit Fort Zachary Taylor, along with the other places already mentioned.

Regards,

Phil Spaugy
                Union Guards
                Co. A
                19th Regiment
                Indiana Volunteer Infantry
                N-SSA

Comment

Unfortunately the Fort will be out of my itinerary this time.. boohoo We dock at 7am and leave at 1pm, how dare they cut my potential side trip so short?? But, it sounds like there is plenty else for me to see and a grand excuse to go back and visit at another time.
                  [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

While not related, I would recc the Hemmingway house tour (if you are into lit.). I have been all over the place, and this one rates up in my top 3 of "best tours." Was there 2 years ago in July (heat is horrible, see sweat in pic) and was well worth it! Sure beats the pants off of Ripley's and the spray paint artists near the port.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Matt-
                      That's one of the recommended tours by the cruise line so it was already on my "must-see" list. I'm not into the bar scene, don't care for the blatantly tourist-y spots (sort of like seeing Ripley's in Gatlinburg..come on now!!) and will likely get plenty of beach time in Cozumel. Pretty sad when we go to paradise and purposely seek out historical sites!! :-)
                      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

There's also the Audubon House on Whitehead Street, which is a nice place to spend some time.

The Mel Fisher Musem with its 17th century shipwreck goodies is also fun!

Ripley's used to be in a gorgeous old movie theater on Duval St., but has since moved -- the old theater now houses a drug store, of all ridiculous things. Last time I was there, though, they had an 1860s Vampire Killing Kit! (Ripley's, not the drug store...)

One of the members of the 6th NY picked up a pet alligator while in Florida. During their return to New York, he had it strapped to his knapsack, albeit too tightly -- the poor guy didn't survive the homecoming parade.
                        Marc A. Hermann
                        Liberty Rifles.
                        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I was just in Key West last week (my second trip there). Fort Zachary Taylor is a must-see. The fort is well restored and there is a nice beach adjacent to it.
                          Sincerely,
                          William H. Chapman
                          Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Working...
                          X