This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Creek Mercantile

Just a quick question ladies and gentlemen, has anybody traded with Milk Creek Mercantile Company. I know they're not on the approved vendor list but I was just curious as to their representation and authencity of their goods.

Ben Fowler
    Ben Fowler

In honor of Capt. William Joshua Neary, Quartermaster, 44th Ga. Inf.; Co. K

Not a member of The Leave Early Rifles

Re: Milk Creek Mercantile

Ben,

In a former life in another end of this hobby, I have dealt with Milk Creek. Put it this way, I just finally got around to getting-rid of a boxload of Paki leather from my kit at a 'streamer swap meet through a friend of mine after replacing every item with quality vendor merchandise- one cartridge box of said lot was from Milk Creek.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother to deal with Milk Creek again. Their goods were as 'streamer as 'streamer can get.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Although they seem to have a presentable website, nothing on there shows me they are anything but a mainstream supplier of goods. They may well be nice folks, but their goods show no signs of the quality that is espoused on this forum. You would be well advised to stay with vendors who take the time and effort to produce quality goods based upon originals, with original materials (not stainless steel canteens). There has been more than enough discussion on this forum that a quick search will find someone who could more ably assist you , be that an "approved" vendor or otherwise.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

"Envious of being even second rate," is how I would choose to answer the inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
          Personally, I wouldn't even bother to deal with Milk Creek again. Their goods were as 'streamer as 'streamer can get.
          Farb clothing, and farb gear.

Can I say the word "farb" here?
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

I seem to recall that some of their leather accoutrements were domestically produced by a "local re-enactor", but I don't believe from what I saw of it that it would be suitable for recommendation to readers here. It appeared crudely constructed as I recall, but it was not expensive. As a general rule, a price too good to be true can be or rather usually is suggestive of diminished quality. In the end it is a value decision only you can make for yourself. Nobody here can make that call for you.

You are not going to find similar quality articles for prices substantially less than those charged by the approved vendors here. Period. In fact, even the approved vendors here are not totally uniform in terms of historical accuracy across their entire line of products, but as a rule you can't go very far wrong. There are some top notch craftsmen in the hobby right now, we are lucky that way. They sure aren't in it for the money...top quality gear is labor intensive.
            Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN View Post
              Farb clothing, and farb gear.

Can I say the word "farb" here?
              Personally, I am a fan of calling things by their rightful name.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Folks, a question has been asked and answered. Indeed, it has been answered by a number of people whose opinions I trust and value. Therefore, I see no further benefit to continuing the discussion.

Please don't view this as another action of a dictatorial moderator. Rather, I'd just like to keep the focus on how we can do things better, not individuals or vendors that might not.

If you've got an item from these folks (or ANYONE, for that matter) that you feel is the acme of the art of historical reproduction, then I would encourage you to pull out your digital camera, take some detailed pics, and write up a detailed review to share with us (and I mean that sincerely).

Thread Closed.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                X