Cavalry carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry carbine

I've seen some short rifles from time to time the bearers are calling "cavalry carbines." They are two banders with hardware at the end of the barrel to capture the ramrod and keep it from falling off the rifle. Was this common, and is anyone making decent repros?

Thanks,
    James Rice
    Co. H, 2nd Florida
    [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Re: Cavalry carbine

Hallo!

You are thinking of "captured ramrods" on muzzleloading carbines/musketoons- the idea being it is "annoying" for a man on a horse to drop his ramrod at the wrong time....

The British Pattern 1856 Cavalry Carbine had such a system.

The U.S. used them on such cavalry arms as the M1847 Cavalry Musketoon and the
    M1855 Carbine.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The only modern repros that I've seen appear to be of Indian/Pakistani manufacture.

Unless anyone knows different? If there's a quality P1856 Enfield repro available I'd be very interested to hear of it.
      Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

I think I see the Curious House replica with the captured ramrod on the website, but there is no way to navigate to get details. Plus the annoying background music made me want to bayonet myself.

Anyone know of a stateside dealer that carries Curious House repros?
        James Rice
        Co. H, 2nd Florida
        [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Comment

Originally posted by GASharpshooter View Post
          I think I see the Curious House replica with the captured ramrod on the website,

They plainly state on that website that their company is based in India.

I did a quick search and discovered that James River Armory have a P1856 Enfield Carbine listed on their website.

I would humbly suggest that you would do far better to look there.

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/Patt...%20Carbine.htm
          Last edited by Linkstrap; 03-16-2008, 04:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
          Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

Mr. Linkstrap,

Thats why I said "stateside dealer." Thats a nice link, thanks Mr. Linkstrap.
            Last edited by GASharpshooter; 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM.
            James Rice
            Co. H, 2nd Florida

Comment

Hello,

There is a place called Loyalist Arms in Canada. I know its not stateside though.

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
              Sykes Regulars 2nd & 4th U.S. Infantry
              The Shocker Mess
              The Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Yeah, but I like Canada. Thanks for the tip
                James Rice
                Co. H, 2nd Florida

Comment

Parker Hale, I believe, used to make an Enfield Muskatoon and they are still available once in a while off the second hand market. Stay away from the Loyalist Pakistani and India make; they don't proof their barrels. So for all you know you might be pushing 60 grains of powder out of a piece of electrical conduit.

Look to Lodgewood or James River for a better value for your dollar.
                  Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                  SUVCW Camp 48
                  American Legion Post 352
                  [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, but the Parker Hale "musketoon" (and Italian clones) was the Pattern 1861 Artillery Carbine which does not have a captured ramrod.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

The 1847 Cavalry Musketoon, at first, used a solid bar - then later
                      switched to a chain. Several other weapons also used captured ram
                      rods (including several pistols such as the 1842.)

Attached is a photo of the captured ram rod on my original '47
                      (also a 1842 pistol made by Henry Aston).

If you campare it against the '47 Musketoon from Loyalist Arms you will
                      see that their current offering is (based on the photos) off in several
                      respects.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by straggler; 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM. Reason: added pistol photo
                      John S. Harmon
                      Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Loyalist Arms offers an 1847 and an 1856/61 "cav musketoon" with captured ramrod.

It needs a little work to be correct as most do. It is 65 cal. smooth bore. One advantage is that they come w/ no modern "black powder only", etc, stampings that need removed.
                        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Mr Schmidt; thank you for the correction. I have seen one a time or two and there is one up the road at a gunshop but I've never really looked at it other than to note it as a Parker Hale.

Lodgewood has an original carbine M1847 on their consignment page. Loyalist, .65 cal and non proofed barels... sorry but all I can do is shudder.
                          Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                          SUVCW Camp 48
                          American Legion Post 352
                          [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

Esoteric Trivia Department....

Parker-Hale came out with the P1861 Artillery Carbine (Musketoon) FIRST in 1974, and the P1858 Naval Rifle next (1977?) , with the rifle-musket last.
                            I always thought it should have, would have, been the other way around. :)

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I don't think I'd shoot the Loyalist version with live ammo, at least not without getting a Whitaker .58 sleeve or similar put in it. I've shoot about 7000 rounds live and have a great deal of respect for that, but I only put about 40 grains of powder in a blank, don't see much chance of an explosion without a projectile. The concussion will go to the path of least resistance.
                              Can anyone document a Loyalist Arms, or any recent repro weapons, exploding with blanks?
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X