Cavalry carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cavalry carbine

Yes,last season a Brown Bess made in India blew up at a program in Pa.Supposedly the gun was overloaded,no ball though,only a powder charge.Seems like a manufacturing defect though,I can'y see how a well made weapon can blow with powder only.
    Willie Campbell

Comment

I own a Enfield Cavalry musketoon with a swivel ramrod. I since had it copied and will have it for sale. If you like PM me and I will get you pics and info.

Comment

Hallo!

"Yes,last season a Brown Bess made in India blew up at a program in Pa.Supposedly the gun was overloaded,no ball though,only a powder charge.Seems like a manufacturing defect though,I can'y see how a well made weapon can blow with powder only."

I might would suggest that you search back through the postings and discussions on the Indian imports and the issues that surround them such as:

-historical accuracy
        -price appeal
        -questions of proper materials and construction revolving around whether they are wall hanger/decorators made post-production to fire blanks and even live rounds even though they may not be not firearms; or actual lower cost imported firearms totally safe for blank or live fire use
        -questions of personal and collective safety in their use at reenactments if not safe firearms
        -questions of proofing, and its value to owners and comrades
        -etc.

In brief and to over-generalize.. there is a chronic lack of factual information and maybe too much hobby wishful thinking at the moment floating around.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Cavalry carbine, and Parker-Hale

A British company, Henry Krank & Co., still lists the Parker-Hale Enfields, and the Parker-Hale Whitworth, in it's current catalogue (you can download it as an Acrobat .pdf file from their website, details below).

They list:-

P/Hale 1853 Pattern Enfield 3 Band Rifle, 39" barrel (£599)

P/Hale 1858 Pattern Enfield 2 Band Rifle, 33" barrel (£560)

P/Hale 1861 Pattern Enfield 2 Band Carbine (Musketoon), 24" barrel (£532)

P/Hale Whitworth 3 Band Rifle, .451 cal. hexagonal (£799)

Kranks also list the Volunteer 3 Band and 2 Band Rifles in .451 cal. (£799 & £780).

I note in their catalogue that they list the 1858 pattern as the Naval Rifle, not Carbine.

Perhaps Curt can confirm this, but I've always understood that the 1858 pattern was developed for the Navy, who had problems with restricted headroom on their own ships, as well as any they boarded - but still needed a rifle which was accurate at reasonably long ranges. It was the 1861 Pattern which was called the Artillery Carbine. Let's face it, something with a 33" barrel is a bit long to be called a carbine - that's the same length as a Lee-Enfield .303

If you want to contact Henry Krank, the details are:-

E-Mail: enquiries @henrykrank.com

They also do some of the dragoon pistols (with captive ram-rods) referred to in earlier posts, but they don't list the 1858 Enfield cavalry carbine.

Hope this helps, and best regards,

Jack
          Pvt. Jack Enright - Co. A, 19th Indiana Vol Inf (GB)

Comment

Working...
          X