To Bring The Dead To Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Bring The Dead To Life

From: An Antebellum Plantation Household, Including the South Carolina Low Country Receipts and Remedies of Emily Wharton Sinkler University of South Carolina Press 2006 Anne Sinkler Whaley LeClercq

To bring the dead to life immediately, as the body is removed from the water, press the chest suddenly and forcibly, downward and backward and instantly discontinue the pressure. Repeat this without interruption, until a pair of common hand bellows can be procured. When obtained, introduce the nozzle well upon the base of the tongue. Surround the mouth with a towel or handkechief and close it. Direct a bystander to press firmly on the projecting part of the neck (called Adam's apple) and use the bellows actively. Then press upon the chest to expel the air from the lungs, to imitate natural breathing. Continue this at least an hour unless signs of natural breathing come on. Wrap the body in blankets and place it near a fire and do everything to preserve the natural warmth as well as to impart artificial heat if possible. Everything is secondary to inflating the lungs. Send for a medical man immediately. Avoid all friction until respiration shall be in some degree restored.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: To Bring The Dead To Life

Oh no, Miss Terre!!!! God help me for saying this, but I can see my dear mother (bless her peculiar heart) doing this to her sickly husband to ensure he stays alive long enough so she qualifies for his Navy pension!!! Maybe I should print it out and show it to her????

What do they mean by "as the body is removed from the water?" Is this advice for a drowning victim?
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Yep, this sounds like the usual instructions for artificial respiration in the case of drowning.

The apparatus of the Humane Society for the recovery of persons apparently drowned, includes a bellows for producing artificial respiration... These changes [of air]repeated and continued, produce the artificial respiration required. It is most important to remark here, that if air be injected into the lungs, either in too large quantity or very suddenly, instead of recalling or sustaining life, it is as certain a means of killing as a dagger driven through the heart. This truth has been but lately known, and ignorance of it has probably decided the fate of many persons, treated with a view to recovery after submersion.

In addition to the artificial breathing for the recovery of suspended animation, it is often necessary, to restore natural warmth to the body, to rub the limbs in aid of the circulation, to administer stimulants by the mouth, to excite by galvanism, &c. (Elements of Physics, 1831 http://books.google.com/books?id=gqkLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA498)
      Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Last edited by Hank Trent; 03-17-2008, 06:07 PM. Reason: fix link
      Hank Trent

Comment

I'm assuming a drowning victim as well.

The source itself gives no particular reference--its simply a fascinating little transcription of all sorts of receipts, in a book begun in 1855. The original includes both handwritten receipts and clippings from newspapers and magazines, all glued in to the same volume.

Hank, you and Noah would enjoy this book if you can gain access by library. While much of it is cookbook and corresppondence, there is a substantial section of medicines and remedies, including a cure for drunkeness that I certainly think would have an effect. :D
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

And there is a reference to CPR and defibrillation on page 79 of John Erichsen's Science and Art of Surgery, starting with the paragraph " . . . When injurious effects have followed the administration of chloroform . . ."

Comment

Very good, I will have to try this on some of my Pards after a long march!

Comment

"Bring out your dead." "I'm not dead yet.I feel quite well,actually." "You mind doing something about that?"
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Working...
              X