Other names for Sutlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other names for Sutlers

I cannot find on the search precisely what I am looking for. I will throw this out here, on the account of, either seeing it here or reading somewhere else. What were some of the names the Sutlers were called? I know they had nicknames be it in a positive or negative way. I would really like to hear the negative names.

No, I don't have a axe to grid with any Sutler if you were thinking along those lines. I just would like to know. When you cannot find it after looking around here or in other search engines then I would guess someone here can recall names. This is one of those things that just pops in your head when you are laying in bed a night and cannot go to sleep. Maybe this will put my inquiring mind to rest.

Thanks in advance
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Other names for Sutlers

P.L., pop in the ORs on CD and look up sutlers. You'll find a few names that are not suitable for inclusion here, but are darned funny in light of official correspondence.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: Other names for Sutlers

I've always enjoyed this one - this sutler was actually made the subject of a Sunday sermon.

Source:
      Alton Daily Telegraph, September 27, 1883. p. 4.
      Attached Files
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
      X