Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War TV (or rather, the lack thereof as well)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Civil War TV (or rather, the lack thereof as well)...

Okay everyone,

Talking with Greg Deese today on the phone got me to thinkin'...

We did it on "The Sinks" with films... now how about TV specials/programs/documentaries/docu-dramas... heck, even TV news stories?

Rule: Anything on here but full-blown movies in theaters or DVD...

What's your favorite? Least favorite? How about weird stuff you've seen you know just couldn't be true based upon your research? How about stuff that was actually somewhat accurate that you saw on TV (oh, the shock!)?

Whether it be Discovery Channel, PBS, History Channel, History International, or even the Military Channel (Uh, am I missing any channels I don't subscribe to on my robber-baron cable bill?), let's happily make "The Sinks" live up to its name on this subject and share our scheisse.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

PS- First one to mention a certain PBS special on "The Civil War" is a rotten egg! ;)
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Best Civil War TV (or rather, the lack thereof as well)...

Mr Loyd,

I would have to say Civil War Combat, and HCs latest offering (from a couple years ago) 80 Acres of Hell. Those were probably the best ones.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Hello-
      You know, you bring-up an idea...

Ever notice... So many hobbyists are so quick to damn the History Channel.

Before you say anything... I know, I know... They have had some good stuff... as well as BAD stuff. Yuk...

I can remember for awhile there was almost a fashion there amongst the greater reenacting community to non-chalantly dismiss the History Channel immediately as "farb" and "offensive ever since that darn Unfinished Civil War special".

(For all I know, it was offensive- never bothered to see it and don't really need to.)

I might just check that one out you suggested, Bob.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Dear Sir ,
        I offer "The Gray Ghost " . Network televison at it's most daring !
        "What we lacked in numbers we made up with speed and brains,
        "The Gray Ghost is what they called me , John Mosby is my name."
        all for the old flag ,
        David Corbett
        Dave Corbett

Comment

I would have to say Ken Burn's documentary "The Civil War" I saw it on PBS and then bought the set at Gettysburg. It's great I think for all those little details that no one even heard of in high school history classes.

Kenton Siers
          Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

I personally enjoyed "Sherman's March" last year on "History" (as it's now known.) I thought it was pretty well balanced and even-handed. The sight of the dead 12-year old boy at Griswoldsville, and the Bummer hanging from a tree was pretty intense.
            Yours, &c
            Adam Clark
            -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
            Connor Clune

Comment

I always enjoy watching the Gettysburg battlefield tours that are played on and around the anniversary dates every year. Do they count?
              Nathan Albert
              Member CWPT, SMH
              Covenant Lodge #473 F&AM
              Shocker Mess!

Comment

Me too. I've actually even purchased some of them from PCN.....Jerry Stiles

Comment

How about "Civil War Journal"? Good for when you don't need something too involved.

Respectfully....
                  Sean Collicott
                  Your humble servant....
                  Sean Collicott
                  [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                  [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Georgia Public TV put one out last year about the Battle of Columbus, Ga. Well put together and was a joy to watch. As with anything, there were some consistency issues but all in all, it was good.
                    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                    WIG/GVB
                    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I'm old enough to admit that one of the reasons I got involved in this hobby was because "North South" [turns out it was "The Blue & The Grey"] made an impression on me when I was a kid.

I especially remember that one fellow who died of disease in camp before things even got started. That left an impression.
                      Last edited by JustRob; 03-28-2008, 12:15 PM.
                      Robert Carter
                      69th NYSV, Co. A
                      justrobnj@gmail.com
                      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Rob.... That was the Blue and the Gray..... The fellow that died in camp was the youngest Hale Brother James from none other than Gettysburg PA. Cousin to Mathew, Mark, Luke and John Gyser of Virginia. Named after the guns of the Rockbridge Artillery.....Or perhaps from the bible.....The later being correct.

Another cool scene James was in was when he enlisted. He Wrote 18 on some paper and stuck in his shoe. When he was asked by the recruiter if he was over 18 his reply was ...Yes sir I am OVER 18.

James had several cool scenes now that you have my brain rolling. Remember the roach races where he had his mildly retarded friend Mooney heat up the plate for his roach. The plan back fired when Mooney forgot to remove the plate from the heat and it got so hot that when James placed his roach on the plate it died. This scene was also the first time James got the Screamers real bad and bent over....Several days later he died in camp.

Other cool scenes that come to mind.... The horse killed by a shell in Vicksburg that was cut up in the street by hungry soldiers and a lady.

The Blue and the Gray is what turned me onto the Civil War as well. I still watch it every few years. When I was younger I used to know all the lines from it as well as North and South Book 2 and my friends and I would play them out on the phone.

Despite the fairly bad acting and uniforms the Blue and the Gray had allot of good stuff in it. I remember the day the series first ran on TV. My mother was watching it and called me in and said I would like it. Little did she know what it would lead to with in a year or two. Large bills to Jarnigan and later long trips driving around the country to take me to many of the 125th's while she stayed in a hotel!
                        Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

There was a TV series in the 1960's, during the War Centennial, called "The Americans". It was based on the premise of brother against brother. One fought for the North and one fought for the South. Unique concept, huh?
                          Tom Dodson
                          Tom Dodson

Comment

Without question, the most accurate depiction of Civil War reenacting ever shown on TV was the Civil War reenacting episode of "South Park", which was recently re-aired on Comedy Central.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                              Without question, the most accurate depiction of Civil War reenacting ever shown on TV was the Civil War reenacting episode of "South Park", which was recently re-aired on Comedy Central.
                              I don't know, Kevin.

I think it might be a toss up between that and this Mr. Show episode:

Mr. Show - The Civil War Re-Enactments

Comment

Working...
                              X