Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War TV (or rather, the lack thereof as well)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Civil War TV (or rather, the lack thereof as well)...

Some of History Channel's efforts have been laudable, but often they fall short of where they could be. "Civil War Journal" was good in its day, but today I tend to call it, "Gettysburg Journal" because the show placed way too much emphasis on that one battle; I think at one time I counted that they had at least four or five whole episodes devoted to the battle, and many other episodes (such as the biographical ones) devoted considerable air time to Gettysburg. I still think the series' Season 1 episodes on battle flags and Zouaves are the best done for that series.

History Channel's "Civil War Combat" series had some good moments, but in general I have a problem with most documentaries that rely almost exclusively on reenactors to show historical subjects. The series's episodes that dealt with battles that I knew a fair amount about often tended to have a number of gross historical errors, in addition to some of the goofy stuff the reenactors were doing. Don't get me wrong on the reenactors in this series: They were considerably better than most reenactors shown in documentaries, but they were sitll, well, reenactors. It's much better to use reenators as only occasional window dressing when showing historical subjects. As a contrast, Discovery Networks's "Twentieth Century Battlefields" (currently shown on the Military Channel) gives very good virtual tours of 20th Century battlefields, intercut with archival footage and photos, and a small bit in each episode where one of the hosts goes to a British Army training camp to try something out to gain improved insight into what the soldiers experienced. Why this approach isn't done more often for Civil War topics is uknown to me.

History Channel's (?) series "Battlefield Detectives" had a very good (I thought) episode on the battle of Antietam about four years ago.

Most dramatic treatments of the Civil War done on TV may be very entertaining ("North and South Book II") but are usually wildly bad in terms of historical accuracy, logical storytelling, and accuracy of material kit. With "N&S II" filmed in the mid-1980s, the material kit was moderate at best, and the costumes worn by the primary actors were terrible. The series had very little semblance to John Jakes's novel on which it was based ("Love and War"), and was generally goofy but with good-looking women. For example, the TV series' transformation of the character Billy Hazard (played by Parker Stevenson of the "Hardy Boys") from his job (in the book) of being part of Hermann Haupt's Military Railroad Construction Corps to, in the TV show, being a company commander of US Sharpshooters who goes into battle with a musket in his hand and a cute drummer boy at his side was... .well, we won't go there. Wayne Newton as the sadistic commandant of Libby Prison? Puh-leeze.....

I have to laugh uproariously at the series, "Blue and Gray"; it's just plain bad all the way around, from plausibility, to acting, to wildly inaccurate kit and costumes and tactics used (the 20-man depiction of the battle of the Wilderness is just plain hilarious, and it's Vietnam-style guerrilla-fighting tactics left me speechless when I saw it).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
      Without question, the most accurate depiction of Civil War reenacting ever shown on TV was the Civil War reenacting episode of "South Park", which was recently re-aired on Comedy Central.
      The proper name for this episode would be "The Red Badge of Gayness" :D

S'mores schnapps are greatly under represented in the hobby.

Laughs,

Scott Bumpus

Comment

I love what how Clinton was just going to appease all of them.

That was pretty hilarious.
        Santiago Luis Montalvo
        Unaffiliated (on college leave)
        [email]cwsoldier6165@yahoo.com[/email]

Comment

Without question, the most accurate depiction of Civil War reenacting ever shown on TV was the Civil War reenacting episode of "South Park", which was recently re-aired on Comedy Central.
          That episode was the single best satire of reenacting I've ever seen. They either went to a few events and were careful observers, or they know someone on the inside, or they did a heck of a lot of looking around online. Brilliant episode of a show I don't generally enjoy.
          [B]Joe Fox[/B]
          Columbus, Ohio

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Find me a unit. [I]Please[/I]."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by BumpusTN View Post
            The proper name for this episode would be "The Red Badge of Gayness" :D

S'mores schnapps are greatly under represented in the hobby.

Laughs,

Scott Bumpus
            Why was Ft. Sumter on land in that episode???

Even though it was South Park, that inaccuracy drove me nuts then.

Jeez... ugh. I need to get-out more.

Ha!

- Johnny Lloyd
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Can anyone confirm this rumor? I heard tell that the history channel was going to produce a reality show where they have several reenactors live "the life" for one year. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if not done right. Reality T.V. makes me ill.:sick:

Respectfully....
              Sean Collicott
              Last edited by lambrew; 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM. Reason: Finishing a thought.
              Your humble servant....
              Sean Collicott
              [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
              [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

I am very much aware of the project you speak of, Sean.

However, the duration is more along the lines of a few weeks...not a year.

None-the-less, time really has no emphasis on the matter, as reality TV is always a bad idea.

Comment

Actually, there is a whole thread on that topic.

Also, just to let you know (I am surprised I din't post this), the series is never going to see air according to the students I know who participated in it.
                  David Fictum,
                  Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                  recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Who remembers The Americans?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne;
                      I have to laugh uproariously at the series, "Blue and Gray"; it's just plain bad all the way around, from plausibility, to acting, to wildly inaccurate kit and costumes and tactics used (the 20-man depiction of the battle of the Wilderness is just plain hilarious, and it's Vietnam-style guerrilla-fighting tactics left me speechless when I saw it).
                      The interesting thing about the Blue and the Gray is that if you've ever read Bruce Catton's Reflections on the Civil War you realize that many of the little incidents depicted are lifted almost straight from Catton. So, other than the sometimes weirdness of the Stacy Keech plot, a lot is actually pure history that has been put into the stories of the main characters.
                      [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

The Twilight Zone had a good episode called the "passersby" or something like that that was cool. There was two other Civil war related episodes also, one with the Confederate that finds the Union Army frozen and another about Lincoln's assasination. And who can forget the Outer Limits episode where the two reenactors go back to the time of the actual battle after havig their image taken. Twilight Zone cool, Outer Limits lame, I want more s'mores schnapps. Almost for got "uncivil warriors" with the three stooge. nuk nuk.
                        Rob Walker
                        Co. H
                        119th NYSV
                        Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

I Remember "The Americans" well. Never missed an episode. Does anyone know if it is available on DVD or even VHS?
                          Tom Dodson
                          Tom Dodson

Comment

Kevin, I have to say that you hit the nail on the head! I've read through this thread several times and finally i'm ready for my two cents. What we have to realize is we are a rare breed. Most people watch TV for entertainment..this is not different from what we do. However, what is different is that we enjoy wearing itchy clothes, pushing heat stroke, sleeping on often questionably safe painted cloth, and eating God knows what! We love this hobby, we love our history, and we despise seeing either of those done an unjustice. But, remember how many people slept through history class in high school? Most people do not enjoy detailed documentaries. Truth is, if they made civil war shows authentic, we'd not be able to see them less we purchased HBO (unless they aired a generic cut version like they did Saving Private Ryan). TV is entertainment for the public. What we need is our own channel :D !!!! Here's what I do....i turn on Civil War Journal (actually watching The 1st Battle of Bull Run right now) while I browse on here, or through the Approved Venders' websites, etc. I find the series is sometimes better by ear. I know it's farby, but I have to back GAG for the fact that it did inspire some to become reenactors (notice I didn't say living historians). Mainstream is better than no-stream I guess. At least there was no hip-hop playing the background, cussing every sentence, and i'm not embarassed to be watching it when the preacher calls :confused_
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Can't believe noone mentioned the one Simpsons episode where they hosted a Civil War reenactment. Including dead soldiers (one with a bayonet and rifle sticking out of his back no less) playing cards, a roller-blading Disco Stu skating around the "dead" corpses on the field as Stonewall Jackson, drawing his sword and saying "The South shall boogie again!", and the portrayal of the 3 main sides of the war, the North, the South, and the East (soldiers completely dressed in plaid uniforms).

The event then get's overrun by WW II veterans on Sherman tank.

Classic.
                              -Ty "Tic-Tac" Gladden
                              Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry
                              One of the "Three Jesi", and founding member of the Shire Mess.
                              Part of the Chocolate People Mess, of the Texmosippiana Society...

Comment

Don't forget the one episode of Ren & Stimpy with the ad for the "Civil War Action Log":D
                                Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                                Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                                Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                                Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                                Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
                                X