X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Civil War Computer Games

All-
    I am in the market for a darn good computer video game on the Civil War. I'm looking for realism in design/units/battlemap/engine, etc. I am a big fan of the Total War series- Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II (I like the fact you can zoom-down to the battlefield and see your units fighting from a commander's perspective, laying seige to fortifications, as well as the realism of the types of historical units portrayed -great. If they can do THAT with American Civil War, then that would be awesome.)

How about mods that can change existing programs into American Civil War simulators?

Has anyone really produced a decent AmCiv tactical sim in awhile anyway???

Last I knew Sid Meier's Antietam & Gettysburg was the rage... yep, I'm old. :p

Rule: Please keep it to AmCiv games if you do post

I figured this conversation would point people in the right direction who were looking for a good challenge to their armchair general skills.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Good Civil War Computer Games

I have very much enjoyed the Take Command Series from Mad Minute Games.

Company Website
    http://www.madminutegames.com/index.htm
    Wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Command

So far the two games of this series has me hooked. I'm interested in hearing what other are playing.
    Paul Goudeau
    Tick Creek Troublemakers

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Vegetius

Comment

Originally posted by Timg152005 View Post
      I have very much enjoyed the Take Command Series from Mad Minute Games.

Company Website
      http://www.madminutegames.com/index.htm
      Wiki page
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Command

So far the two games of this series has me hooked. I'm interested in hearing what other are playing.
      Wow-
      Great screenshots! I will so get that game. Does it have fortifications and urban/village warfare?

There does exist a mod pack to make Medieval Total War: Part 1 into American Civil War, but I can't get the darn thing to work.

Thanks -Johnny Lloyd
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
        Wow-
        Great screenshots! I will so get that game. Does it have fortifications and urban/village warfare?

-Johnny
        No, it doesn't have urban warfare or fortifications. Mostly the game is early war battles. Mostly your fighting within woods, fields, and along fence lines.

One thing I love about this game, being that it's early war. Your troops like to run home if they get to badly beat up. Give you the sense of Bull Run.
        Paul Goudeau
        Tick Creek Troublemakers

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Vegetius

Comment

Are there other camers out there??? My dad gave me a whole tub of "wargames" to sell on ebay. I have not gotten to it yet!!! If you are looking for something I probably have it. If anyone has interest I will drag out the tub and try to fill requests!

The Mad MIck!
          Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

You need to define 'tactical' before anybody can answer you.

Is the battle of Gettysburg tactical? If that is your idea of tactical then Talon Soft made the 'Battleground' series that covered several of the major battles of the war in a stand alone manner.

If not then the only option I know of for you is 'Age of Rifles' which allows you to design fairly small Civil War style battles with approximately authentic units.

Quiet honestly the 'Total War' Series is long on playability and a little short on historical accuracy. Which is why it is a blast to play and not very accurate as to what can and did happen.

That is an age old problem with wargames, especially grand simulations. To make it historically accurate the commander has to get down into the dirty details of actuall commanding, moving, supplying an army to get them in the right place the right way at the right time. To make it playable all that has to go to the background, let the game system handle it in an abstract way an dthe 'commander' just fights.

The other problem you have with computer games is that to be historically accurate you can't be both the army and a battalion commander. one of the great problems with being the army commander is you give out orders and HOPE your subordinates get it right. One of Lee's great issues with the 7 Days is NOBODY seemed to be able to do it the way he wanted it done, when he wanted it done. If he had been able to use a computer to place and command the battalions the war might have been over then and there.

So what you looking for?
            Bob Sandusky
            Co C 125th NYSVI
            Esperance, NY

Comment

Originally posted by jgr1974 View Post
              Are there other camers out there??? My dad gave me a whole tub of "wargames" to sell on ebay. I have not gotten to it yet!!! If you are looking for something I probably have it. If anyone has interest I will drag out the tub and try to fill requests!

The Mad MIck!
              Board or computer games? If board PM me with a list.

Thanks.
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Timg152005 View Post
                No, it doesn't have urban warfare or fortifications. Mostly the game is early war battles. Mostly your fighting within woods, fields, and along fence lines.

One thing I love about this game, being that it's early war. Your troops like to run home if they get to badly beat up. Give you the sense of Bull Run.
                Yeah, sometimes there is a map editor mode that you can make your own battlefields in certain tactical battle games... ergo, you don't just have to play 1 or 2 scenarios over again.

That's what would make "Take Command" really great in my opinion.

Also, like Total War, there would be a strategy-map board as your army advances into/loses ground... perhaps by county rather than state??? Ha... anyone want to design a computer simulator for Civil War.

-Johnny
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I haven't played a CW computer game in a while. But I heard about this one. Never played it so I can't vouch on how good it is. Also, on Sid Meier's you forgot South Mountain! lol I still have the collection lying around somewhere.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
                  1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                    All-
                    I am in the market for a darn good computer video game on the Civil War. I'm looking for realism in design/units/battlemap/engine, etc. I am a big fan of the Total War series- Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II (I like the fact you can zoom-down to the battlefield and see your units fighting from a commander's perspective, laying seige to fortifications, as well as the realism of the types of historical units portrayed -great. If they can do THAT with American Civil War, then that would be awesome.)

How about mods that can change existing programs into American Civil War simulators?

Has anyone really produced a decent AmCiv tactical sim in awhile anyway???

Last I knew Sid Meier's Antietam & Gettysburg was the rage... yep, I'm old. :p

Rule: Please keep it to AmCiv games if you do post

I figured this conversation would point people in the right direction who were looking for a good challenge to their armchair general skills.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                    Hey man,

Now I realize this is the Sinks...but we're now paying membership fees in order to defray the costs this site requires between software, bandwidth and storage of data.

Can we not start a million posts about tv, movies, video games...etc....and get back to the focus of this website...research and discussion about the American Civil War, its' affects on the people of this country...and how to best honor/portray the people of that era?

Thanks in advance,

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Quiet honestly the 'Total War' Series is long on playability and a little short on historical accuracy. Which is why it is a blast to play and not very accurate as to what can and did happen.

That is an age old problem with wargames, especially grand simulations. To make it historically accurate the commander has to get down into the dirty details of actuall commanding, moving, supplying an army to get them in the right place the right way at the right time. To make it playable all that has to go to the background, let the game system handle it in an abstract way an dthe 'commander' just fights.

The other problem you have with computer games is that to be historically accurate you can't be both the army and a battalion commander. one of the great problems with being the army commander is you give out orders and HOPE your subordinates get it right. One of Lee's great issues with the 7 Days is NOBODY seemed to be able to do it the way he wanted it done, when he wanted it done. If he had been able to use a computer to place and command the battalions the war might have been over then and there.

Yeah, the historical accuracy in units is somewhat off (kinda too Hollywood-ish if you ask me- it attracts buyers to the game that wouldn't normally buy "historical" stuff) on the Total War series, but I'd sacrifice that for playability.

I still think the Total War series is probably one of the best ones out there that a) isn't a boring, "town-building only" sim- a la no warfare b) at least tries to incorporate historical events/units into its design and c) isn't any of that BS "fantasy/historical" genre- think Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

Total War deserves some praise trying to be more historically realistic. We need a good Civil War battle sim like that.

I feel if there is to be a good AmCiv simulator game, the player has to have the ability to go from "faction overall leader" to "battalion/division commander" for battles on-ground in real time.

Laying siege to Petersburg and avoiding the Crater scenario for the Union would be great! How about winning recognition of Britain/France for the Confederacy?

Wow... where is there a good war game on AmCiv when you need one- why hasn't anyone though of it before to this level.

-Johnny
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

This is just a mod. But still it looks cool. Although I don't think anyone plays it anymore you can try.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
                        1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                          Hey man,

Now I realize this is the Sinks...but we're now paying membership fees in order to defray the costs this site requires between software, bandwidth and storage of data.

Can we not start a million posts about tv, movies, video games...etc....and get back to the focus of this website...research and discussion about the American Civil War, its' affects on the people of this country...and how to best honor/portray the people of that era?

Thanks in advance,

Paul B.
                          Sir-

Understood, but so long it is on-topic of AmCiv consumerism, why not, I say? We've talked about way unrelated/quasi-related stuff before here. That's what the Sinks is for.

Provided it goes not on to other threads or forums on here, then we should be good.

We are all big consumers of CDs/DVDs/games/movies/TV on this subject- not for serious research of course, but for extra challenge and even enjoyment. I know I love to try to refight the battles we know so well and if I can find a great battle simulation to do so with authenticity in its design, then bully.

I do see and respect your point, though.

-Johnny
                          Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

For gamers there is a new Social Group just for this type discussion.
                            Last edited by JimKindred; 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM.
                            Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                            X