Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Dollar = Better Muskets?

Hey, Folks,

If you're in the market for a new reproduction musket, you may be in for a shock. Prices for an "out of the box" Italian reproduction these days are all above $500. With the weakening of the dollar against the Euro, the prices will be going up! I predict we will soon see the price of Model 42's above $600... and this is BEFORE the cost of defarbing work is added in.

However, original muskets seem to be somewhat imune. I have seen good, servicable originals available in the $700-$1000 range. Put-together or custom reproduction muskets rely on domestic producers (Dunlap, Whitacre, The Rifle Shoppe, etc.) rather than European.

I wonder: If the dollar continues to slide, driving up the price of Italian reproductions, at some point will the price difference between the Italian goods and higher quality choices (original, parts guns, or custom reproductions) become so small that folks will begin to choose "something better"?

Thoughts?
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Weak Dollar = Better Muskets?

Sir ,

Could you email me the pics of what you have available. I am interested in getting an original. MosbyCSA1863@sbcglobal.net

Thank you,
    Kenneth Fannin

Pax in Bello
    Battered Beaver Mess
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]Turtle Punch Mess

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " George Orwell

Comment

I am pretty sure the only thing Mr. Wickett is selling is an observation.
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Silliman View Post
        I am pretty sure the only thing Mr. Wickett is selling is an observation.
        You are correct. Thanks, Garrett!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Well its i good thing i can re-read and laugh at myslef LOL.
          Thanks
          Kenneth Fannin

Pax in Bello
          Battered Beaver Mess
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]Turtle Punch Mess

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MosbyCSA1863 View Post
            Well its i good thing i can re-read and laugh at myslef LOL.
            That is one of the most positive character traits I can imagine, especially when trying to communicate with folks on an internet forum. THANKS!!!!!!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

If the dollar drops that low, a new musket will be last on my list of financial concerns!

As the relative price of European reproductions increases, I would expect US firms to enter production. Of course, that's only in economic theory.
              Regards,

Thomas E. Pallas

[I]The Engineer’s duties, it has always been conceded, require a greater and more varied knowledge of military science than those of any other officer of the Army.[/I]

Kautz's Customs of Service

Comment

Thomas, we cant even produce passports in country anymore. I really dont think muskets have a ghost of a chance. If we add an arc on top of the U on USA it would stand for Out Source America.
                Terry Sorchy

Comment

I guess my thought in my initial post was:
                  If given the choice between a $700-$800 musket (defarbed repro '42) and an $800-$1000 musket (original Belgian smoothbore, US M1816 quazi-original put-together "parts gun", etc.), which would you choose?

As the dollar weakens, the cost of "out of the box" Italian repros WILL (and IS!!!) climb. Will this drive some/more/many/most folks to choose muskets in the latter category over the former?

Just curious.

For me, this question was answered long ago as a matter of personal choice and had nothing to do with relative currency values. I also "answered the question" more recently when I switched from an Italian repro smoothbore to a more well-built and historically accurate option. The net cost of the switch was about zero(!!!!!)... a clear illustration of what the future may hold if the cost of both of these options come closer together... Perhaps...

Thanks!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger

Comment

I am glad that I purchased my 42 and my 41 before this currency debacle occurred. Though to answer Mr. Wickett's question, I would go with an original and purchase whatever parts needed to restore it from our good American folks over at the Rifle Shoppe or Lodgewood before I would cough up astronomical amounts of money for reproductions. A side thougt...this will drive up the price of originals as demand for them will increase.
                    Matthew S. Laird
                    [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                    Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                    [/COLOR]
                    [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Heh,

I had an ancillary thought on this.... will we now see our erstewhile mainstream brothers screaminf about the high price of Pakistani uniforms? O can already visualise certain folks complaining about a sack coat costing them $100.00 :) heh...
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

Hallo!

I have been fussing about the "quality" of firearms for over thirty years, and still do not have a clue. ;) :)
                        Being a hobby it is hard to fit a Keynesian model or a Ronald Reagan Voodo economic model to what is going on, or anything in between.
                        IMHO, in theory, as the price goes up the demand goes down. But the price of "muskets" is in competition for other "expenses" in life that are also going up at the same time- gas and anything connected with gas whether at the growth or production end or the delivery and shipping end of the sales' price at the stores.

Part of me wants to say that there is, will be another cyclical "flattening out" of "hobby" numbers in response to rising costs whether muskets, gas tank fill ups, or turnpike fees as hobby conflicts with Everyday Life.
                        Until folks adjust. I still remember the threats of the death of reenacting in the oil embargo and shortages of the 1970's when folks pronounced "If gasoline hits a dollar a gallon it will kill this hobby dead!"

Or more directly, I have seen 18ty century custom built longrifles climb from $700-800 in the late 1980's to the $2500-3,000 range today. At worse, instead of lads having five or six, they have one or two.

But I also remember the complaints when CW "originals" went from $200-300 to $1800-2400 (hereabouts) in the past 30-some years. (And I regret not buying some CS guns in the $1200-6000 range in the 1980's).

All in all, I would expect to see another cyclical decline in the CW, without an improvement in firearms. If for no other reason, until someone is maimed or killed and litigation kills the Indian repro market, by and large so-called "Mainstream" reenactors, NUG, do not desire nor do they have access to restored originals or custom builts.
                        (Currently, if we look at say Pedersoli prices at roughly $1200 for a "Bess" or "Charleville," there are only a handful of lads in the 18th century with custom builts- even when custom-built muskets, used, can be bought for $1200-1800.)

Others mileage will vary...

Curt
                        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM.
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

Hiccup...

Curt
                          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM.
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Tack rising inflation on to boot!
                            Regards,

Thomas E. Pallas

[I]The Engineer’s duties, it has always been conceded, require a greater and more varied knowledge of military science than those of any other officer of the Army.[/I]

Kautz's Customs of Service

Comment

I've had discussions with a couple of vendors recently for whom business is booming right now, moreso that usual. I don't know if it is the IRS "econoboost" check, returned tax refund checks, or what. A brief review of the "for sale" adds here on the AC would also appear to show good gear being sold pretty quickly.

I wonder if the "gloom-n-doom" in the news right now has folks depressed... and their seeking a way out of the gloom by focussing on the hobby... and spending money while they do it.
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X