Weak Dollar = Better Muskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weak Dollar = Better Muskets?

I choose to focus on the hobby rather than the doom and gloom. Things may be going poorly with the dollar, but nothing I do can change that fact. But, so long as our approved vendors accept the dollar, I shall focus on improving myself and ensuring I've got ample blankets should things go too bad.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Black]Nicholas A. Keen
    Cannoneer Battery B, 3rd Penna. Artillery
    "When our boys went about the citizens they seemed surly and unaccomadating and showed no disposition to grant us any favors, for which I could not blame them because the soldiers I know to be a great nuisance"- Robert Patrick "Reluctant Rebel"
    [url]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/armysystem.php?do=recruit&uniqueid=37[/url]
    Harper's Weekly May 4 1861: "War they have invoked; war let them have; and God be the judge between us."

"There is nothing so exhilarating in life as to be shot at without effect."

- Winston Churchill

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I guess when I look at it, it all boils down to, you'll pay the cost for what you want no matter the price. If you don't pay the price now, it will only continue to go up in the future forcing you to go out more greenback.
      It has pained me to go out some of the money I have on some of my items...musket included...but they were items I needed and though I paid a sore price and complained for several months about how much it cost me, I must say I have gotten my mony worth out of them and look back at it as...it was worth it.
      If you find yourself a musket and the price is steep I am sure some of you will say thats what you wanted but move on and keep searching for that "right price, or like many of us have done, look for anyway possible to get the money we need, even if it means selling off some of our other stuff, to get what we want.
      Just my two cents. Carry on!
      Micah Trent
      Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
      Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
        I wonder if the "gloom-n-doom" in the news right now has folks depressed... and their seeking a way out of the gloom by focussing on the hobby... and spending money while they do it.
        I believe that may be part of it. I know in my case, I'm coming back to the hobby (should finances permit me to do so correctly...or not at all), not so much due to the national doom and gloom, but I just need an escape from everyday life and some enjoyment! ;)

I would tend to agree with Mr. Schmidt about a plateau or decline in the hobby...but for a different reason. I'm not ashamed to admit my interest in the Civil War was rekindled by movies such as Glory and Gettysburg. Actually, seeing a "Making of" Gettysburg bit with reenactors got me interested (never knew something like that existed at the time). There hasn't been a CW movie with general public appeal released in the last several years. In the meantime, WW2 has seen a huge growth spurt the last 10 years with the releases of Saving Private Ryan, Windtalkers, The Thin Red Line, Band of Brothers, Flags of Our Fathers, etc. I imagine the spike in new WW2 reenactors resembles that of Civil War in the early 90s.

I am no financial expert, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :), so my lay opinion is that there will probably be a bit of a drop in demand for muskets, but the ancillary prices of fuel and manufacturing processes will probably keep prices fairly steady for the forseeable future.
        Christopher Wallis
        Philadelphia, Penna.

Comment

Comrades,

I was speaking with a friend the other day about this impact on the hobby. He was saying that it might well result in some folks looking for a less expensive impression, but as we talked about it, I was able to make him aware that, no matter which impression interests you, it's all foing to cost about the same amount.

A rifle-musket will set you back aeounf $600 with bayonet, shipping, taxes, etc. My impression as a Hospital Steward also ran about $600 for the medical knapsack and contents, plus the additional items required for the job. That doesn't include all the basic kit whicj everyone, regardless of impression needs: personal clothing, knapsack, haversack, canteen, mess gear, blanket, shoes, etc. I am speaking of just the specific gear for an impression beyond the issue items.

As to the doom & gloom financial news, I would offer that things are not nearly as bleak as the newspapers point out. We are, after all, in an election year, and stirring the pot is alwats a way of trolling for votes, regardless of the party in question.

respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

A the economy is only bad if you beleive the newspapers. Look at all the indicators. Are they down form their highs? Sure are. By any objective measure is it a stronger than average economy? Yep sure is with interest rates and unemployment still near historic lows (and for any of you around when Jimmy Carter was president you KNOW what I mean).

That said picked up a Bridesburg in pretty nice shape for $800 today. A repo for $700 or an original for $800. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to me.
            Bob Sandusky
            Co C 125th NYSVI
            Esperance, NY

Comment

As far as a 2nd Model Brown Bess made in Italy, they went from around $500 to now over $1200. I'm putting my Rev. War and War of 1812 impression off for the time being.
              Andy Miller
              Co. A, 1st Minn.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Boy of '61 View Post
                As far as a 2nd Model Brown Bess made in Italy, they went from around $500 to now over $1200. I'm putting my Rev. War and War of 1812 impression off for the time being.
                I tend to think that putting off that impression may in fact turn out worse than starting to invest in it. The Brown Besses, the Charleys, and early Springfields are all gonna climb. Having desired an 1816 Musket for some time, I have watched those prices climb steadily. In fact, the Pedersoli 1816 is now something near $200.00 more than it was say a year ago. I think these prices are going to continue to be on the rise, I doubt they will level out or decrease. Frankly I tend to think we will soon see the era of Italian made muskets being at least 1,000.00 and the market being flooded by the lesser quality products that folks will buy to save money.

I tend to think that mass production made in the USA muskets are probably unlikely. Perhaps though, some of the custom build people could step up production on these guns. Perhaps even the "barn gun builders" would ply their talents towards military type muzzeloaders.

-Sam Dolan
                Samuel K. Dolan
                1st Texas Infantry
                SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                X