Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Voice of Johnny Reb

Hello all,
    Found this link online and thought I'd share it...Click on "Real Media" - here's the real McCoy! It's interesting to hear his Southern dialect and period pronunciation...Best regards.

Civil War veteran Julius Howell of Bristol, Va., was 101 years old when he was recorded at the Library of Congress in June 1947. He spoke of how he learned of the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, 140 years ago this morning.
    Last edited by Secesh; 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM.
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Re: The Voice of Johnny Reb

Some recordings of the Rebel Yell were posted a few years agon on the following thread. Most of the links are dead, however:

Rebel Yell Recordings

Here are links that work:

Civil War Reenactment Regiment. A comprehensive site that includes historical resources, photos, narratives, articles, schedules, rosters, and more.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Absaloutely Chilling! I listened to both and was amazed to hear both from the mouths of the grand old boys. Just goes to make you appriciate them and what they went through even more.
      Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
      [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
      [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
      The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Just found yesterday, one ole reb and modern technology duplicates that one voice to what one company might sound like as it attacked. Heck, I continue to wonder what a regiment would sound like if this was one company.
        From History Publishing Company:
        Disini tempatnya untuk daftar, Login dan List Link Alternatif Slotup88 yang Resmi Terbaru 2024. Di jamin Gacor dan Menang berapapun pasti di bayar bro !

http://donbracken.com/downloads/rebel-yell-2007.mp3

It will make your hair stand up on the back of your neck. My Great Uncle would call to his hunting dogs or give a similar yep to encourage them on the hunt. He would always have a bottle in his coat pocket to loosen up his vocal cords.
        Needless to say he would take numerous tastes to insure his voice was right.
        Good times there are not forgotten.
        Last edited by Pious Jeems; 06-04-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: type
        Dean Burchfield
        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
        Cleburnes
        Hard Case Boys
        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
        Napoléon Bonaparte
        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
          Hello all,
          It's interesting to hear his Southern dialect and period pronunciation...
          It almost sounds New England.
          Annette Bethke
          Austin TX
          Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
          [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Hallo!

"It almost sounds New England."

IMHO, well it should- at least an "English-ish" ring to it as what we now consider "Southern" did not really fully develop/evolve until after the advent of radio in the 1920's.... ;) :)

Curt
            Heretic Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
              Hello all,
              Found this link online and thought I'd share it...Click on "Real Media" - here's the real McCoy! It's interesting to hear his Southern dialect and period pronunciation...Best regards.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4600415
              More biographical details about Julius Howell (February 1846 - June 1948):

Julius Howell's precise unit ID seems to be something of a mystery. The NPR article rather unhelpfully indicates it was "the Confederate Army's Company K." The Confederate units involved in the Sailors (or "Sayler's") Creek engagement were Ewell's and Anderson's Corps.

My search on the Soldiers & Sailors system only revealed two Confederate individuals listed under the name "Julius Howell":

Private Julius A. Howell, Company I, 52nd North Carolina Infantry
              Private Julius F. Howell, Company E, 8th (Dearing's) Confederate Cavalry

Neither of the above individuals is a good match for "Julius Howell," who apparently enlisted, aged "16 1/2", in a Virginia regiment circa August 1862.

I would presume Howell's descendants have amassed more documentation on his service--just wish I knew what it was.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mr. Howell was from Bristol, VA. Just over the hill from where I grew up. I was kinda suprised as to the way he talked also but I can imagine that his accent changed over the years (101 of them!). His bio on the link said he went to University of PA and Harvard so that would explain some of the New Englandish sound. He sounded like the "Pepperidge Farms guy" to me. I really doubt he talked like that when he was 16. I have lost most vestiges of an "Appalachian Twang" since I have been in the Army for 18.5 years. Most people think I am from the Midwest and are suprised when I tell them I am from North East Tennessee.
                James Cassell

Mossy Creek Mess SCAR
                1st East Tenn Battery B

Comment

I have heard this yell in the past, but to hear a Company of soldiers at the same time doing the "Rebel Yell" does make the hair stand. That was awesome.
                  [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Julius is talking about men loosing their horses and guarding Richmond. Three diffrent P.O.W. records that I found on a genealogy site I belong to shows Cpl. Julius F. Howell, 24th Virginia Cavalry, Company K. The records say he was captured April 1865 (no day given) , was recieved at City Point Virginia and his date of release shows June 18, 1865.

The 24th Cavalry was made up of two former cavalry units and served around the defences of Richmond. They were active in the Appomattox Campaign.

Look at the 8th name down.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by boozie; 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM. Reason: add P.O.W. roll
                    sigpic
                    Grandad Wm. David Lee
                    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Great Info. I remember hearing the entire recording about 10 years ago. Very surreal. Franklin was his middle name and the report confirms Julius was captured at Amelia Courthouse on April 4, '65. They were of course, "mostly de-mounted", at the time as he puts it when they went to link up with Ewell's command.
                      Last edited by CJSchumacher; 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X