This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ubiquitous CW movie thread

I've had an idea for a CW movie. No I'm not a writer or director! :p Anyway, I wanted to know what my fellow pards would think of this. Who out there would like to see an acurate depiction of General Nathan Bedford Forrest. I think it's safe to say, his military carreer would make for a very exciting picture.
    Benjamin Schiele
    aka: Karl-Dietrich Steiner
    Bitter Brothers Mess
    [I]of the[/I] Hard Case Boys

SCAR Shiloh NPS LH - April 4-6, 2008 - CANCELLED
    "The Eastern Flank" - June 20-22, 2008 - Excellent
    Athens - August 1 - 3, 2008 - The Great Thunderstorm Panic of '61!
    Marmaduke's Raid - September 27-28, 2008 - WOW!
    Winter Garrison 1862 - January 23-25, 2009 - Please come!

Re: The ubiquitous CW movie thread

That would be pretty interesting. But... Where, When, Who, and What about would this movie be? Yes Forrest but who else?

HistoryGeek
    Evan Hunsberger
    I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Comment

Pards,
      I think Forrest's life and personality are far too politically incorrect for Hollywood to deal with. If NB was the central character, then writers have to contend with a protagonist who rose to local prominence and wealth as a slave trader. Somehow Fort Pillow must be dealt with, not to mention the beginnings of the KKK. I just don't see money-hungry Hollywood taking such a risk. Probably an extensive documentary is the most we'll ever see.
      I read somewhere that John Wayne's "The Searchers" could never be remade because the central character is just too inflammatory. The fictional Ethan Edwards pales in comparison to the real Nathan Bedford.
      Still, I'd like to see it done.

Mark Warren
      Hairy Nation Boys
      Davis County, Iowa
      [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
      "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
      Mark Warren
      Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by Chihuahua View Post
        Pards,
        I think Forrest's life and personality are far too politically incorrect for Hollywood to deal with. If NB was the central character, then writers have to contend with a protagonist who rose to local prominence and wealth as a slave trader. Somehow Fort Pillow must be dealt with, not to mention the beginnings of the KKK. I just don't see money-hungry Hollywood taking such a risk. Probably an extensive documentary is the most we'll ever see.
        I read somewhere that John Wayne's "The Searchers" could never be remade because the central character is just too inflammatory. The fictional Ethan Edwards pales in comparison to the real Nathan Bedford.
        Still, I'd like to see it done.

Mark Warren
        Hairy Nation Boys
        Davis County, Iowa
        Mark-

You said it before I could. While Forrest's life is a wonder and absolutely intriguing to read about, Holly-weird would mess it up somehow due to political correctness. It sure would be neat to see it done, though.

I feel one reason why "historical-based" movies often get so factually screwed-up is that producers/writers/directors feel they can embellish or detract from a story and actually make it more marketable to appeal to a variety of audiences.

Historical accuracy is the first casualty to money in Hollywood- same is true in the media.

I could just see the headlines saying: "Movie glorifying KKK-founder released today."

Ugh.. those that truly don't understand write the news always.

Personally, I always felt a depiction of Raphael Semmes's life and exploits would be fascinating.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
        X