Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springfield sling swivel

hey guys;
    I seached on all kinds of things with sling swivels on my rifle but to no avail. Does anybody know were to get the pin for a ASport 61 springfield? that bieng my first question and now for my second. Is there any method of keeping those things from falling out. i've messed with the one on the trigger guard for the entire time i've had my rifle. Finally it fell out yesterday and now I am stuck with a sore arm and no sling:cry_smile.

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to getting a little tired of 61 springfield up-keep

R Young
    Very Respectfully,
    Robert Young

Re: springfield sling swivel

Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

If you have a few tools and a littel skill you can make some.
      If you use a propane torch to heat a length of common nail of the same diameter, and allow it to cool slowly, several times to soften it- you can hammer peen one end to mushroom it over. File and polish back to bright.
      Then insert it into the swivel, block the end, and peen the other end to mushroom it in place and to keep it from falling out.

I ground down a $3-$4 nail set to serve as a peening tool for making swivel rivets.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

danke herr schmidt

should the nail be hot when i mushroom it? please alaborate. are there any measures that i should take in the way of safety?
        Very Respectfully,
        Robert Young

Comment

I made a replacement pin for mine this way and have not had any problem since. When I heated up the metal (glowing red) and let it cool down, it was soft enough that reheating was not needed in order to mushroom it. Most "common" nails are made from fairly mild steel and are not going to be too hard to work with. That is why they bend instead of break whenever you miss-hit one.
          Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

Hallo!

Correct, "hard as nails" is kind of over-done. :)
            (I think it is a safety thing to prevent shrapnel when whacked with a steel hammer... ;) )

In general, it is easier to peen the large end of the rivet if you have a vise that can securely hold the nail section and keep it from slipping. Obviously holding it in a pair of pliers on a wooden surface will not work so well.
            If you do not have a vise, you can hold it in vise grips or pliers, and just butt the other end on something steel like the side of a hammer.

With the riveting tool I made from a nail set, it takes a number of whacks to "upset" the ends into the "mushroom" heads rather than just one or two whacks.

Curt
            Assuming no responsibility for hammered fingers Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X