2d Drewry's Bluff battlefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2d Drewry's Bluff battlefield

This is a great thread, I had family there at the 2nd battle of Drewry's Bluff in the 60th Ala Infantry. He was wounded May 16th and sent to Chimborazo Hospital. I want to visit this area and look at the Chimborazo Hospital records too.
    [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
    S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
    I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
    they looked so hacked, and answered back
    never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

60th Alabama...

I had ancestors in the 60th Regiment. Co I. . My GGGrandfather George Washington Sexton, and his brother Elias. William H. Sexton was also with the Brigade...23rd Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters. He was killed at Ft Sanders.

Have you read the book on the 60th? It was written by Lewellyn Shaver...first Sgt of Co D.
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Bob,
        The map you posted from the 13th NH book brings light to something I first read about in a letter written by a member of the 8th who was there. Something about two companies of the 8th occupying a fort to the right of their line near the turnpike.

In the map the veteran of the 13th writes "[the] Confederate line of trenches; starting from a small redoubt on the turnpike, and running west nearly one fourth of a mile straight..."

Now I'm wondering that if this is the fort/redoubt the 8th guy wrote about it, would it be possible that that redoubt would've been occupied by the flank companies of the 8th? Would that be a role they fufill?

Galen and Derrick, it's nice to know of other relatives of men who fought there. Your guys were farther to the right of mine fighting it out with Heckman's brigade. Gracie's brigade did a heck of a job of getting in the rear of the 18th Corps. Any relatives of the 25th SC or Hagood's brigade out there?
        Last edited by riverratmess; 04-11-2008, 06:32 PM. Reason: Left something out
        [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
        [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
        8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
        New England Civil War Museum
        Rockville, Connecticut
        [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

Matt: I'd say that's the fort. Bear in mind that that the Fedreals occupied the exterior face and retrenched some of this line.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
          X