Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquisition of McRae Papers to Go Public!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquisition of McRae Papers to Go Public!

Again, on behalf of the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, I want to thank Paul and Neill and Krissy Dunn (of our staff) and everyone for their support, through Authentic Campaigner, for our aquisition of the McRae Papers Collection. Because of your support and help in fundraising, I wanted the members of Authentic Campaigner to be the first to know that we are in the process of publically announcing the aquisition of these papers. A major feature should appear in the Charleston Post and Courier soon about the McRae Collection. We are also anticipating a major story in Civil War News and a story in Civil War Historian. This announcement should generate momentum for a second round of fundraising. Since November, when the museum began our fundraising to acquire this very unique and undiscovered collection and prevent it from being broken up and scattered via Internet sales, we have raised $111,000 of the $250,000 purchase price (the value of the papers was independantly appraised at $304,000), and have one year from $July 1, 2007, to raise the remaining amount. I want to thank members of Authentic Campaigner for public supporting this aquisition with your postings and your financial contriubtions. Please continue to support us in reaching your goal. If you would like to contribute, please feel free to call me at (803) 737-8096. Thanks again for all you have done to help our museum!
    Allen Roberson
    Director, South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum

Re: Aquisition of McRae Papers to Go Public!

Allen, great news! Thanks for sharing the news here. As of today, 7/14/07, the ACPP has raised $1208.00 toward the McRae paper project. I hope to collect money for the rest of the year and send a check early next.

A/C members, if you want to give to the project, you can do so through the ACPP by check or Paypal at dustyswb@verizon.net

Thanks
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Allen,

First, thanks for updating the AC community on this hugely important project. Secondly, thanks for heading an institution that realizes the huge value of this collection and making the purchase a reality. I truly look forward to working with this collection and the SCCRR&M for many years to come.

Dusty, Paul, etc., I just personally want to say thanks for the interest and fundraising efforts. Thanks are also deeply deserved for those donating articles for raffle and the donars themselves.

Allen, since the Papers are being announced publically now, can the RR staff post some more document images for our purusal? Likewise, would the RR consider vending a small sampling of the documents on CD, say 20-30 images? I'm sure you would find great interest from those on the board.

Again, thanks to all those who've supported this project in so many various ways. I look forward to seeing and hearing more when the time permits.

Regards,

Neill Rose
      PLHA
      "When's the last time you saw a museum director post on Szabo's?"
      Last edited by Iron Scout; 07-14-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Wonderful news here!

Congratulations to the SCCRR for raising the funds necessary to purchase the complete McRae collection! We'll all benefit from this tremendously.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I want to invite anyone coming through Columbia to stop by the SCCRRMM and visit a sneak peak exhibit on the McRae Collection. "Discovering a Collection: The McRae Papers" has military objects on display that directly correspond to five newly released McRae papers, which are also in the exhibit. Additionally, the exhibit mentions the Authentic Campaigner's involvement in grassroots fundraising, including the auction of Ms. Kathy Bradford's Confederate Housewife.

"Discovering a Collection" will be open until October 5th (our museum is currently closed for renovations through August 9th). We hope that this exhibit will help the ongoing fundraising!

Krissy Dunn
          Curator of History
          South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum
          Krissy Dunn Johnson
          Curator of History
          SC Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum
          [url]http://www.crr.sc.gov[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X