Question About Correct Pocket Watch Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Correct Pocket Watch Chains

I've searched the web and found lots of stuff for sale, but no good information on dating pocket watch chains. I've even talked to watch dealers without any luck. Does anybody know a good reference, preferably online?

I'm trying to find out what constitutes a typical mid-19th Century watch chain. In particular, how did they attach to the vest: button hook, t-bar, spring-loaded ring, etc.? Most of the ones I see today have the spring ring, but I'm guessing those are later than our period. Any watch experts out there?
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Re: Question About Correct Pocket Watch Chains

Any watch experts out there?
    I have had excellent results dealing with a gentleman named Michael Clark in Williamsburg, OH. He sells antique watches from the period and slightly later, as well as reproduction fobs at reasonable prices. The fobs from the period I have seen include standard coin silver and nickel chains, gold and even hair woven from a loved one. The fobs usually have a T at one end that is designed to fit through a buttonhole or suspender "mule ear".
    Bill Cross
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I will say that Michael Clark is a good source for watches and chains.

He had advertised in various issues of Camp Chase Gazette, which is where you can get his contact info.

From there he will send you several scanned pages of the various watches and chains that he has available.

I got a very nice key wind Elgin from him several years back. It had 17 jewels, key wind and set, and serial number placed it in 1866. It has a wonderful enamel face with blued hands, and runs great. The chains that he offers are of similar high quality period antiques.

Just my experiences.
      Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
      Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
      Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I have also looked for info on watch chains. Does the double albert chain PC or is it later in the Century? Thanks

Comment

Some good possibilities for most period correct:
          Sterling or coin silver, solid gold, hair. Attachments could be t-bar (most common in period photos I have seen), shepherd's hook, spring ring (less common, and most are later).

Some less good:
          Nickel, gold-filled (just invented and not common), gooseneck, belt clip. Double alberts are later, and fobs are somewhat rare in photos I have seen of men in uniform.

There is a research article and thread on watches that talks about chains on this site.
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
          William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

From my understanding, a fob is like a fabric, leather, or other material type "TAB" that suspends the watch in the watch pocket and hangs out of the pocket for easy access, versus the familiar chain type suspension. My 2 pence.
            Pvt. S.D. Henry
            Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
            "Bath City Greys"

Comment

I would suggest contacting Seth Magosky. We just heard him speak about men's accessories at the Midwest Civil War Civilians conference. He spent part of the time talking about watch chains, using tax-stamped CDV's to show the different styles. (We also got to visit his awesome ca. 1859 house which is pictured on the page below.)

His website is down right now, but his contact information is listed on the City of Joliet website:

http://www.cityofjoliet.com/BUSINESS/psethmagosky.htm

He's a great guy and very knowledgable and helpful.
              Celeste A. Kostyniuk

Comment

I found this little tidbit of information while searching for a definition of "watch fob."

The Watch Fob
                by Richard Paige

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                The Jewelers dictionary defines a Fob as a short chain, ribbon or other similar thing, fastened to a watch to aid in withdrawing it from a pocket in clothing.

I don't think this definition does justice to the world of Fob collecting. If I was to define Fob, I would say that it's part of the ritual of using a pocket watch. It's an object which may or may not have, personal meaning to the wearer, and that this object is attached on a watch chain to either anchor the chain into the second pocket of the vest, or to hang off the watch chain as a decorative piece of jewelry.

But how do you identify a fob? It can be something as simple as a thimble or a spool of thread, or a key, or as elaborate as an intricate hand made miniature automobile of precious stones set in gold or platinum. In all honesty, just about anything can be a fob. It's only parameters is that it's not too large for the watch chain or the pocket. It's only function is to add weight or decoration to a watch chain or watch ribbon. I've seen fob chains in gold, platinum, sterling, gold-filled, Boar's hair, leather, string, and even weaved out of human hair. In fact this was very popular in the Victorian times, a wife would use her own hair to make that special chain for her husbands cherished watch.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X