Facing backward photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing backward photo

This probably belongs in the citizens part, but I'm not loosing sleep over it.

This is quite perplexing. 2 Children in a photo are facing backwards...Does it have anything to do with mourning? That's my guess.

Well, enjoy!

Patrick Rooney

Re: Facing backward photo

Very nice pic! first i have ever seen like that. mourning would be my guess also.

Comment

I have never seen an image like this. Id love to have it in my collection! Im not sure that the subjects are both children. The lady on the right could be a mother. Also, notice that both have their hair cut very short in the back. Is this significant?
      [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

The dress on the girl on the right indicates that she is indeed a girl. Most women's dresses, and I'm talking anyone over about the age of 16-18 would have a front closure on the dress bodice. Maybe their mama wanted a picture of their neat new haircuts. It's a very sweet pose.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

That is a wonderful image. Something about the pose -- which looks sweet and poetic, but not downcast -- makes me think this is more of an artistic composition rather than a specific reference to mourning. Also, I'm curious about the fullness of the hairstyles in back, the high necklines and the elliptical shape of the dress on the right. I would guess that this image is slightly postwar? (late 1860s, maybe?)
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
          [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
          [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

The upper fullness of the cropped hair, with the small standing collar on the dresses, would put it post-war for me, just a tad, anywhere up to 1870 or so.

There's nothing in the image that indicates mourning to my eye. Mr St. Peters, may I ask what leads you in that direction?

I see a very sweet, "romantic" (as in, idealistic, not sexy) pose of two children. I know a lot of folks see the '60s as a time when "photography was spendy"... but it really wasn't at that point. 1839, yes. 1865? Wal-mart price points. Having a "sentimental" shot done at that point is not out of the question for a good amount of people. I hesitate to correlate things to modern life, but I don't think twice about having a "sentimental" picture done of my kids, because the cost is not great. Same thing here. We don't have the OTHER images that were likely taken in that session... some of which may well be facing front.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Who Wore What has a couple of shots of grown women taken from the back. In that case I think it is just to show off what a good effect their outfits, hair, and carriage give from the rear.

That inclines me to think this is also done for effect. May just a sentimental recreation of a view a mother once had while watching her daughters unobserved, wishing she had a camera handy?
              Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Good Evening All,
                If you read current or past issues of the Daguerreian Society Annual, you sometimes find images taken from the back view. In my opinion, these have nothing to do with mourning whatsoever. Just a pix of two cute kids.:p I wish it was mine.
                Mfr,
                Judith Peebles.
                No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
                [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Mrs.Clark,
                  It was just a guess, i had never seen a pic like this one before and was the first thing that hit me. dont know much on photo's of this time but as of now am going to do some research.
                  your post made the picture make sence to me though, thank you.

Comment

You're very welcome! :) One great resource for looking at period images off-line is the library--in the "history of photography" section of the art department. There've been quite a few excellent books written on early photographers, and the images they include are just amazing. I think you'll enjoy them a lot!
                    Regards,
                    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Hello All,

Based upon our research at the Museum of Funeral Customs, I'll weigh in with the opinion that neither of the girls appear to be properly dressed for mourning in conformity with styles that were popular in Western Europe or the U.S.. During the 19th century, I believe that children who were in mourning would have worn either white or off-white clothing trimmed in black. The young lady on the left appears to be wearing a gingham or other checks, which would have radically violated social conventions.
                      I remain, as ever, your obedient servant,

[I]Jon Austin[/I]

aka Benjamin Franklin Lyford, M.D.
                      Drs. Chamberlain & Lyford, Principal Embalming Surgeons
                      Washington City, D. C.

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Adservio mortuus quidnam es non potens adservio ipsum[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Mrs.Clark
                        i will sure check that out, thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                        X