Bringing sheet music to an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing sheet music to an event

We are hoping to bring a bit of fun for reenacting with period music. The cover of our paperback "Songs of the Civil War" is a bit more FARB than I want to go!:wink_smil

Is there a period appropriate way to bring sheet music to the field for a civilian (my wife is in civilian impression)? Pointers to someone to supply an appropriate format much appreciated!

Chris Tucker
    Complete newbie joining the Texas Rifles.
    Chris Tucker

Re: Bringing sheet music to an event

You can start by viewing these links. One has the words and music and the other has just the lyrics.

You can also do a search in the Library of Congress webpage and find a lot of original stuff that you could print and carry with you instead of a modern book. I did a search for Stephen Foster and this http://www.loc.gov/resource/amss.as105130.0 was one of three song sheets listed on the first page.

Good luck with your search for music and I applaud your efforts for wanting to bring appropriate period music to events, it is WAY underrepresented.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Re: Bringing sheet music to an event

What do you really want to accomplish? I often go through old songsheets and collections thereof. Printed versions of such are no problem. Bringing that horrible Songs of the Civil War is a problem. I don't fault that publisher. I own a copy. It's on my shelf. Sure not something I'd want to haul to an event.

What kind of musical group do you have? Brass band? Guitar band? String band? Who shows up at an event kinda band? Sometimes you just need the songsheets for lyrics. More often, you need chords which is a real problem. We, in modern times, think chords for music, but music wasn't written in chords then. An example can be found here : https://archive.org/details/ethiopiangleeboo1848howe No chords about it, but you'll find sheet music and lyrics for same.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
      X