Best way to remove rust from bore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove rust from bore?

I just aquired an older Euroarms Enfield from a flea market for the righ price. Only real problem is that the bore is rusty. I can see rifling in there, but it is really rusty. Before I make a mess of it, what is the best method for cleaning the rust out? I'm thinking naval jelly......
    Scott D. Rose
    Gen. Jubal A. Early Camp 556, SCV
    SCVMC 3rd Battalion, Company D

Re: Best way to remove rust from bore?

Sir, to start, use the search tool on this forum and type in "cleaning rust" and see what you get.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by yeoman; 06-06-2009, 07:27 PM. Reason: sp
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Scott,
      How bad is the rust? I had the same problem with a Springfield...only it was slightly rusted. I put some 0000 steel wool on a slotted jag and a cleaning rod and went at it....it worked fairly well but would not have if the rust had been worse.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Get a good cleaning rod (one piece) and a bronze brush from a black powder gun store. I believe the .410 ga brush will fit in the bore of a .58 cal pretty well. You can screw the brush in the end of the cleaning rod and scrub the bore. NSSA shooters use this type of rod and you may not be able to find them except from some of the sutlers who service the NSSA at events. Attached is a photo of a .54 cal cleaning rod with a .69 cal bore brush attached. You should buy a cleaning rod sized for your musket (.54, .58, .69). The lengths will vary. With no brush attached, a properly sized rod will push and bull a lubricated patch down and out of your barrel. Sorry for the poor photos, I was in a hurry.
        Attached Files
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Break down the weapon as if it has a rusty bore it will surely have rust hidden inside. Marvel Mystery Oil is a great product.

Mark Berrier
          North State Rifles
          Mark Berrier

Comment

Hallo!

The right tools (and methods) for the right job.

IMHO...

Define "rust?"

Meaning:

Brownish surface film often found between one season and the next?
            Orangey-red surface film?
            Black shadows and stains?
            Orangey-red fuzzyness?
            Small granular brownish-red powder?
            Large granular brownish-red powder with sharp flakes of metal and bits?
            Pits?
            Holes clean through?

Curt
            I am the midnight watchman, down at Miller Tool and Die,
            I watch the metal rusting, I watch the years go by Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Another suggestion: after cleaning the bore by regular methods, fire-clean the rust by shooting out of it a series of minies smeared liberally with automobile rubbing compound. Be sure, if this piece is really abused, to pull the breach plug first to insure the breach area isn't dangerously eaten-out.
              Last edited by David Fox; 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM.
              David Fox

Comment

Diluted molasses is a very mild, but effective rust disolver. I have used it on a number of things over the years, included rusty bores.

Scrub the bore with a bronze brush to remove loose rust first. Remove the barrel and plug the cone. Make sure the bore is free of any oil. Mix up some plain old molasses with water, about 1 parts molasses to 7 parts water. Stand up the barrel and pour in the molasses solution. Depending on how bad the rust is, let stand for a couple days. Pour it out into a container and rinse the bore good and inspect. If still rusty, pour it back in and let soak for a couple more days. Repeat as necessary until all the rust is disolved. It may take a 7-10 days. When finished, dry thoroughly and oil immediately.

This is a very mild and slow process, but allows very good control. You may want to try it on a piece of rusty scap metal to see how it works. The good thing is that it is readilly available, inexpensive, it works safely and is envronmently friendly. Good luck.

Steve Blancard
                13th Va Inf., Co. A
                Steve Blancard
                Corporal
                13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

I had a Brown Bess once that developed a serious case of bore rust from the previous owner. I put it in a vice with the bore facing me. I took a one piece rod and put steel wool in the jag, then put the rod into my drill. After about 45 min of progressive grades of steel wool and WD40 I ended up with a nice clean bore that was almost mirror polished when I was done.

This might work with a rifled barrel, but it might change the accuracy of it if you decide to shoot it live.
                  Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchf View Post
                    Diluted molasses is a very mild, but effective rust disolver. I have used it on a number of things over the years, included rusty bores.

Scrub the bore with a bronze brush to remove loose rust first. Remove the barrel and plug the cone. Make sure the bore is free of any oil. Mix up some plain old molasses with water, about 1 parts molasses to 7 parts water. Stand up the barrel and pour in the molasses solution. Depending on how bad the rust is, let stand for a couple days. Pour it out into a container and rinse the bore good and inspect. If still rusty, pour it back in and let soak for a couple more days. Repeat as necessary until all the rust is disolved. It may take a 7-10 days. When finished, dry thoroughly and oil immediately.

This is a very mild and slow process, but allows very good control. You may want to try it on a piece of rusty scap metal to see how it works. The good thing is that it is readilly available, inexpensive, it works safely and is envronmently friendly. Good luck.

Steve Blancard
                    13th Va Inf., Co. A
                    Except for the time it takes :), that sounds really great. Where did you hear about using molasses on rust?
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I don't recall where I heard about it, but its been around for years. Do a Google search for "molasses rust remover", you find a lot of information. You can speed things up by reducing the dilution ratio, say 1-5 for faster action, but I prefer the slow careful ratio. I save my solution in a plastic container and use it several times before discarding.

Steve Blancard
                      13th VA Inf, Co. A
                      Steve Blancard
                      Corporal
                      13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                        I am the midnight watchman, down at Miller Tool and Die,
                        I watch the metal rusting, I watch the years go by Mess
                        I miss Harry.
                        Ron Mueller
                        Illinois
                        New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                        Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

What is the approximate ratio of molasses to water that you use?
                          [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Ron...

He may not be marching anymore,
                            But the parade still's going past.

Curt
                            There but for Fortune Mess
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I would say the rust is "small granular brownish-red powder". With a flashlight I can make out the rifling. Never heard of molasses as a bore cleaner, got to try that one. Spent a couple of hours scrubbing with a bronze brush (16 gauge I think) and got most of the loose rust out. The bore is still dark and rough. I can feel a patch catch on the rough surface. It's not like I'll be firing for accuracy....... This weekend I'll get back on it. The cone is stuck too, won't budge with my tool.
                              Scott D. Rose
                              Gen. Jubal A. Early Camp 556, SCV
                              SCVMC 3rd Battalion, Company D

Comment

Working...
                              X